Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3225501

We bought Cooper one of these for Christmas, slightly different. I am pretty sure ours was the Red Barn brand from PetSmart and I swear it said it was a marrow bone. Ours is filled with a gelatinous, "beef". Anyone know if these are ok? Its been pretty silent in our house since we gave it to him tonight. The white part is REALLY hard and then filled with that stuff. He hasn't been able to break any pieces off and he's been chewing on it for about an hour or slightly more. Its not soft like rawhide. I will have to post the pic we got of him "opening" his gift. He hasn't quite caught on to that part yet but it was his first Christmas so I'm sure he'll get it soon enough.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
The page didnt work. Just make sure to keep an eye on the bone that pieces dont break off.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's those really hard white on the outside bones and its filled with "beef". He has been chewing on it for 2 days and no pieces are coming off. You can only see teeth marks. I mean this is REALLY hard, he loves it and it keeps him busy and I don't have to worry about what he's doing or if he's eating something he shouldn't be.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your page didn't work either but I bet its the same thing. It doesn't seem like he'll be able to chew through the outer white so I had the same thought of stuffing it with PB or something else once the beef stuff is out.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I personally prefer to buy the un-stuffed ones so that I know what I'm putting in there. I don't like all the preservatives in that "stuffing" stuff. But, there's certainly preservatives in many of the treats I use... Just a preference.

However, dogs CAN and DO break teeth chewing the hard marrow bones. My Whippet cracked her 4th pre-molar and had to have it removed. Chewing marrow bones was the suspected cause. I use them like KONGS -- for my dogs to lick stuff out of, but then I pick them up when they start chewing on them. I prefer bully sticks and Nylabones for chewing.

And of course, I have plenty of clients whose dogs have chewed marrow bones forever w/o problem... so it's luck of the draw, really.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The page didnt work. Just make sure to keep an eye on the bone that pieces dont break off.
I gave my dog one last night and noticed that a lot of pieces were breaking off. This is the first time I have seen this with this particular bone (RedBarn)....is there something defective with the bone or is my pup getting stronger? Is this harmful?

They keep him busy for a long time so I am hoping I can still give to him, but only if they are safe!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just got this response from Red Barn:

Redbarn white filled bones are natural cooked beef bones. Any natural cooked bone can break or splinter. We suggest removing the bone if it should break or splinter. Many dogs have no issues chewing the bones, breaking off pieces, chewing, swallowing and passing the pieces while other dogs do. Since you are most familiar with your dog’s eating and chewing habits only you will be able to determine if this or any other treat is appropriate for your dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts