Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know i was planing on selling Shelley then decided to keep her. You all got very angry. Well i took her to the vet and it turns out she needs medication to clam her down. You all say its normal for goldens to be hyperactive you try own 1 that doesn't hardly sleep, eg is always moving around and getting into things. The vet said that is not normal dogs are meant to sleep at night which she will only sleep for couple of hours and thats it. The vets have put her on prozone a pregancy hormone. Shes been on it for 4 days now and she is a totally different dog, She is actually listening to me more and sleeping through the night. She now has an off button and is easy to controll now then she was before.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I've never heard of Prozone, but I'm glad you took her to the Vet. Checking for medical issues when you have problems with your dog is always the first place to start.

I wish the best for Shelley.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Im glad Shelley is doing better. Take good care of her she looks like a sweetheart.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
So is shelly up all through the night getting into trouble? I'm a little confused because I know she is an outside dog. What does she do that you notice during the night? The problems I heard was problems like picking on your other dog and digging in your yard. These seem to be more problems that come from boredom.

I had an outside dog that barked during the night and slept during the day. I'm not convinced that your shelly needs tranquilizers...but if it helps then its progress.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shelley is doing alot better she is off the meds now as they were making her get car sick and she looked dopey while on them. She has been going to obedience which is hellping alot. SHelley has settled down some and is strating to calm down a bit not so hyperactive as she was when she was younger.

and to releasethehounds get over it thats in the past and has stoped so stop bring it up your like a 5 year old kid that keeps harping on about a toy he/she wants. Mods please lock this thread so no more of this happens.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
This is an old post and I believe Shelley has been taken off the medication. I personally believe its ridiculous to drug an active YOUNG dog who is just acting out of boredom from being left outside all day. So I am glad Shelley was taken off the med.

Edit: posted this before Shelley's owners post a couple above, sorry to restate that Shelley was taken off the meds.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
This is an old post and I believe Shelley has been taken off the medication. I personally believe its ridiculous to drug an active YOUNG dog who is just acting out of boredom from being left outside all day. So I am glad Shelley was taken off the med.

Edit: posted this before Shelley's owners post a couple above, sorry to restate that Shelley was taken off the meds.
Oh gosh...I didn't know it was old.

So I guess my post is not relevant either.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
How old is Shelley now,............. glad she seems to be more obedient and growing up, it all takes time and a lot of patience.
With lots of love, inter- reaction, training and things to keep her from getting bored Shelley will eventually mature and you will have many years of companionship and joy from owning a Golden. Glad she is not on the medication any more.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shelley is now 15 months old she still digs a hole here and there sometimes 4. The obedience trainer said some dogs dig for the fun of it aswell. Shelley gets plenty of exercise,training and attention. People who have meet her and myself know how much time i spend with my dogs and how much i love and care for them. About 99% of the people in this town keep there dogs outside. The obedience trainer said some of the dogs that come to her classes that are kept indoors are more hyperactive,won't settle down,will not obey commands, Reason being is they cannot waste there energy as they cannot run inside. She has seen more indoor dogs take off out the front door when left open, Where dogs that are outside are taught not to leave the yard. I hate being asscussed of not giving my dogs attention they get plenty of it. If my dog wasn't getting any attention why in the hell just she know sit,drop,stay,come,wait,halt,heel,leave,drop,sit/stay,drop/stay, how to cross a road. The obedience trainer said she is the most ilntelligent golden she has had in her class, She is the only dog in the class that knows how to drop. She knows not to leave the yard and will not walk past the gates unless a lead is on her. The trainer said for her age she could be a top obedience dog by time she is 18 months old. The trainer can see how much time and attention i give Shelley she said if i didn't she wouldn't be half as obedient as she is. Shelley knows when its training time to play time i do intermix playing with training as it just confuses the dog. In just 4 times of being to obedience she has already gradulated too paws 2 so that tells you something. So before you meet a person and dog in real life to find out what there actually like stop asscussing people of doing things.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I didnt know that this was an old thread or I would not have posted. But sounds like Shelley is doing ok. Im am just comfused about alot of things re Shelley, so I think I will bow out and leave this thread alone.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Does this medication also give her lightning reflexes to avoid rocks?

I hope so!
LOL. Three Hootch Points for You!!!

You're on quite the roll this morning. And I see some synergy possible.
Why merely waterboard the fiend who has been asscussed of stealing Lucky's Mom's used dishwasher. Stoning him would be so much more--what's the word?--Biblical.

P.S.: Personally, I think it was Manny Ramirez.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.