Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave one to him this morning and he has been nursing it all day, lol when should I throw it out?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Once all the marrow is used up they keep forever!! If the bone had marrow in it, and it's his first time , watch for urgent loose stools...marrow is very rich! First few times I generally limit to 10-15 mins, then refrigerate till next day. once empty and clean they will chew on them for days. Just replace after a while for renewed interest and fresh marrow.

If your pups tum is upset too much by the marrow, you can scoop most of it out, and give a little(start with teaspoonful) with regular meals to get them used to it.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
You didnt mention how big/small it was but my guide line is when I get uncomfortable it may get swallowed....I have several around the house they keep going back to that are a few months old. For the longer ones where thay cant get to the marrow, I gouge it out with a knife and feed it to them.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Some of the ones I have kicking around here are probably over a year old. Like they said once they are clean they last forever.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Do you get these from the butcher at the grocery?
Just ask for a raw marrow bone? They don't splinter?

·
Shameless and Proud
2,305 Posts
Generally isn't it only cooked bones that splinter? I have always heard raw bones are fine but cooked are what is dangerous.

Esp poultry

·
Registered
302 Posts
Debles - we can get at our local grocery store (Wegmans), they are in the frozen meat case when they have them - near the turkeys. We also have a meat market that we go to that supplies them regularly. They have not splintered at all and keep both dogs entertained.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I just bought some new ones from the Butcher at the grocery store. Usually, they just sell them in a package together with knuckle bones too. I prefer just the marrow bones, but hard to find here. I grab them up and freeze them, if I do find them.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanx for the replies!
I had one that was about 2 weeks old and threw it out duh!
I wasn't sure if I was suppose to keep it or not so I gave him a fresh one.

It was frozen so he had fun with it ALL morning and had a darn good nap this afternoon, lol

Thanx for the tip on the size, once it gets small enough to fit in his mouth I will throw it out.

·
16,000 Posts
Raw bones are safe, and do not splinter. Cooked bones do - they dry out during the cooking process and easily break and splinter.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
As I regularly give marrow bones to Nyg & Riley, I didn't want to leave Razz out! He loved it!

A hint - when the marrow is all out, you can continue to use the bone by just filling it with peanut butter or other doggie treats!

Another hint for new puppy parents: your puppy may become a bit aggressive with a raw bone. Do the same practice as you do with food - take it away from them, touch it, handle your pup... You'll get your furkid used to you food handling & you'll avoid major problems in the future. This is especially important to those who have little ones around the furkids.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As I regularly give marrow bones to Nyg & Riley, I didn't want to leave Razz out! He loved it!

A hint - when the marrow is all out, you can continue to use the bone by just filling it with peanut butter or other doggie treats!

Another hint for new puppy parents: your puppy may become a bit aggressive with a raw bone. Do the same practice as you do with food - take it away from them, touch it, handle your pup... You'll get your furkid used to you food handling & you'll avoid major problems in the future. This is especially important to those who have little ones around the furkids.
thats a good point.
I was really caucious when I gave Cody his first bone so I stuck him in his kennel so the kids would leave him alone. I also stuck my hand in and took it out a few times to see what he would do and he was a perfectly little puppy. He was also okay with the kids being around him when he decided to take it out of his kennel, which I wouldn't prefer but oh well.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
give Tysen bones every few weeks...really do a great job at keeping the teeth clean! Also be careful when having them out with multiple dogs-these can be fight starters!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi, Suzie G. and Maggie here

I have fed my dogs raw for the past 11 yrs. The only bones I don't feed are large -weight bearing bones-or the large knuckle bone .(esp from beef / or the below the knee bones of deer) Even raw they are extremely hard bones and I have known of many dogs who have broken or cracked teeth on them.(molar slab breaks ) They are frequently refered to by raw feeders as recreational tooth breakers. I have been known to crack the bones open and feed the marrow to my dogs-it is very rich but also VERY good for them. Some people watch carefully until their dogs have torn the skin,tendons and muscle meat off but once their dogs start chewing hard on the bones they take them away. All other bones are fair game for my crew.

·
Registered
21,130 Posts
only other word of caution....they leave a huge greasy mess in the middle of your bedspread :mad:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I would love to give them to Shianna again. She was fine with them for about a year when she must of broken a piece off and she got a blockage which the vet was luckily able to flush it out. She really enjoyed them but I'm too scared to try it again. I always gave her the thick ones and watched her.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Something I way prefer to give my dogs over marrow bones are raw cow hooves. They are kept frozen and when chewed on they get mushy with no jagged sharp pieces and can easily be digested. The dogs LOVE them too. I get mine through www.greentripe.com but I'm sure they can be found elsewhere too. They are also way easier on the teeth than hard marrow bones.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts