Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Sophie was a tiny pup until just a few months ago, it looked like she was going to be a very dark golden colour... not quite a red dog, but even then I was thinking it could be so.

Now that she's started shedding her puppy fluff, her fur looks so much lighter than it used to be. Her ears are much darker, man oh man, it looks like someone replaced my pup with another.

Duke has changed tremendously as well. When we first got him, he had very very light cream on his forehead. It made the shape of a heart around his face. Now that he's done his puppy/winter? shedding, there are only a few strands of white/cream on the very top of his head. He doesn't look like the same dog either! The funny thing is, it looks like his "heart" faded and was replaced by a regular colour. He never had white on top of his head before.... soon if he keeps growing, it'll be hidden in behind his neck!

Have your puppies changed so drastically from their puppy looks?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Brady looks entirely different to me....see for yourself

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Darby was a very blonde fuzzy puppy and he has pretty much stayed that way. He is alot bigger now but still very blonde and fuzzy. I just trimmed alot of fuz off his shoulders a flanks and he looks better.

Kirby hasn't changed much either, she has her adult coat and it's a little lighter but not much change in color or type.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to revive my own thread, but I finally got some recent photos of Sophie and Dukus. You will notice that Duke's changes are the most noticeable.

Notice in my signature pic, Duke's white heart around his forehead. Also, you can clearly see his white heart in the tug picture. It was so light and prominent, the vet was thinking that perhaps Duke is a mixed breed.

Next you will see today's pics. The heart has disappeared but he does have a very few white hairs at the very top of his head which I suspect will be gone by the time he becomes an adult.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now for Sophie's coat changes.

Like I said, she's shedding like crazy right now.... I'm taking advantage of hugging her and running my hands through her super soft fluffy fur right now. I'm going to miss her puppy fur, sooo sooo soft.

Anyway... a picture taken in May, you'll see how dark she was just last month. Yes, we had snow! ugh!

And today's picture. Please don't mind the long grass. We've all been sick with a cold here for the last week.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I was literally JUST thinking about this myself the other day. Tucker was much darker and had more reddish tones when he was younger and now that he is 11 months old and has blown his puppy coat, his adult coat seems to be coming in much lighter than what his puppy coat was. I absolutely love the color he is turning out to be, which is a light to medium golden, but we honestly thought he would be a little darker. His ears are still pretty dark. His mother is very dark red and his father is very light golden, so Tucker seems to fall right in the midde.

This is how red he was as a little fuzz ball:

This is what he looks like now (taken about a month ago), much lighter!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What a huge difference in colour between baby Tucker and Big Boy Tucker. He's a good looking boy either way. I'm suspecting that it's a rare thing for a puppy to go lighter than we thought. Not too many are relating similar experiences as we have.

PS: How are you managing to post between pictures? I can't seem to figure that one out.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We must be some of the few here who's dog's coat changed so drastically from puppyhood (although mine are still puppies). It just seems strange that BOTH of my dogs' coats have changed so much... too bad I can't win the lottery that easily.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
My Bama's coat didnt change to much in the first year but in this last year he has gotten darker and more gold in to me is a perfect color. I will try to get some new pictures of him this weekend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts