Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2.5 year old 3/4 Golden Retriever 1/4 Yellow Lab (his dad was pure golden, mom was 1/2 yellow lab & 1/2 golden) is 29 inches tall and 85 lbs. I know that he isn't a pure Golden, but even Yellow Labrador Retrievers average height is 23 inches. He is gorgeous but what could cause this? And could there be any health concerns in the future?

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
29" is very tall. Are you measuring from the shoulder? Neutering at a very young age is said to be a factor in overly large males. My Sam was neutered at 6 months and he grew to be a very tall 27" boy. I don't think there are health concerns associated with size...other than keeping them lean so that their joints aren't over taxed.

By the way, Welcome. Have a pic you can share?

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
It also depends on the parents size. Some of these goldens and labs can be HUGE (much bigger than the breed standard) and may contribute to that.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Are you sure you're measuring correctly? 29" is just under the size of a great dane or a mastiff. At 85 pounds he must be skin and bones if he's as big as those dogs.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Are you sure you're measuring correctly? 29" is just under the size of a great dane or a mastiff. At 85 pounds he must be skin and bones if he's as big as those dogs.
That's what I was thinking. Are you measuring at the shoulders?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I measured from the shoulders. I looked up where to measure from before I did it, my vet and numberous people have asked me where I got him and how he got so tall, so that is why I measured him. Charlie was neutered at a little over 7 months old, by vets suggestion.
I am trying to figure out the picture thing, we'll see if this works :)

Charlie with Baya's kittens.

Charlie with his little brother Jesse.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here is the best picture I could find showing how tall/skinny he is. I am certain that I measured correctly because I even talked to my vet about it. And yes he is fairly skinny, but he eats a lot.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Yes, he does look tall. I have read that males neutered young grow taller that average due to the growth plates closing later. Better for him to be on the lean side than obese though.

He looks like a friendly, happy guy!

·
Kate
21,758 Posts
He looks very long boned - like an Irish setter. I actually checked up Irish Setters, but then they only get to be 27 inches tall.

Except for the long lean legs and body, he does look very much like a golden. Very pretty boy. Huge paws with the kitty pic.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the compliments :) and yes his tail does seem very long compared to most that I've seen. I'm not sure if he got this tall from being neutered young or not? Charlie has always been tall and lanky even from a pup, his little brother Jesse (bred from the same mom and dad) is now 9 months old and seems to be the complete opposite of Charlie, he is short and chubby. I have seen their mom and she is very short compared to Charlie, probably the average height for a female though. I have never seen their dad but he may be tall like Charlie? As long as there isn't any health concerns other than the normal ones, I am happy :)

·
Premium Member
18,453 Posts
My son's Golden looks exactly like that, tall and leggy, really long tail. But he was neutered after he was 2 years old.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My son's Golden looks exactly like that, tall and leggy, really long tail. But he was neutered after he was 2 years old.
See, I was thinking that in this case it doesn't have anything to do with him being neutered young, because he has always been this way. Especially after my mom got Jesse (his biological brother), I noticed from the beginning he wasn't as tall and skinny as Charlie always was.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Wow, you can really see how long his legs are in the photos. He is cute, though! :)

I'd be fearful of joint and orthopedic issues since structure closely relates to movement. Having such out of standard structure would almost surely lead to joint health problems. How does he get around, OK? Any issues so far?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, you can really see how long his legs are in the photos. He is cute, though! :)

I'd be fearful of joint and orthopedic issues since structure closely relates to movement. Having such out of standard structure would almost surely lead to joint health problems. How does he get around, OK? Any issues so far?
he gets around just fine, runs around and plays with Jesse alot. At home when he is resting, he sits on the couch kind of like a person (sits just his butt on the couch and his back legs hang down) it's cute :).. he also stands up On his back two legs and gives people "hugs", he's sometimes as tall as some people! The vet never seemed to be concerned about his height, he only asked me where I got him from and said that he has never seen one so tall. Charlie will be 3 in June.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Charlie is gorgeous! He looks very lean and healthy to me....not to mention happy!

what a sweetie....more golden to love!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
The best advice is to keep him lean. Having that extra weight associated with his height will be harder on his joints, so definitely don't add to that by letting him carry around extra weight due to being overweight too. He's such a cutie :)

1 - 20 of 101 Posts