Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just shocked and worried. It was a huge crash. We were doing our usual nightly dinner and games and I turned just in time to see Abby crash into the wall in the living room. She kind of shook it off but is laying quietly now.

I guess I worry about vision problems, but then I think of how many times I have caught a shoulder on a wall. I keep checking her but she is so still. She did not knock herself out, I watched for that. But she is a bit cross-eyed.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Oh poor Abby, I hope she is feeling better. Can dogs get concussions?

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Yikes! Hopefully she's just a little dazed from her head bump... I would worry about vision problems too except I know how clumsy mine can be, especially if they're already wrestling or have zoomies... I suppose this one time I'd chalk it up to just a dopey dog thing, but if it happened again, I might be inclined to have a vet check out her eyesight.

Fingers crossed it was just a one time goofy thing!! Give Abby a kiss for me!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I am sure she will be fine! She was probably just running around like a silly girl and misjudged the distance from the wall.

FWIW, I was getting ready to lie on the floor on Sunday and Jasper came up behind me unexpectedly. I hit him on his head with my head HARD! My head still hurts. He never really showed any real pain (it's hard to tell with him because he's so subdued anyways). He seems to be fine, though.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My first thought is that would have to be a pretty serious vision problem to crash big into a wall.

I'm worried, Marcy.

Did something scare her maybe?
I don't think so. seems she just didn't have a good read on the distance :doh:

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am sure she will be fine! She was probably just running around like a silly girl and misjudged the distance from the wall.

FWIW, I was getting ready to lie on the floor on Sunday and Jasper came up behind me unexpectedly. I hit him on his head with my head HARD! My head still hurts. He never really showed any real pain (it's hard to tell with him because he's so subdued anyways). He seems to be fine, though.
That is the thing, since they don't show pain, I never know if there is an injury. I hope your head is OK :)

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
My first suspicion would be goofiness, a slip, or maybe a seizure- they do lead to confusion afterwords. But it doesn't sound like it was that- it was too fast.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh poor Abby, I hope she is feeling better. Can dogs get concussions?
I'm thinking they can. But as the time has gone on, I think Abby is just a little clumsy like her mother :). It did scare me to death, tho.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
That is the thing, since they don't show pain, I never know if there is an injury. I hope your head is OK :)
Your dogs might not show pain, but Jasmine and Danny are wimps and will let me know in a heartbeat if they are hurt. LOL

I hope Abby is fine. I'm sure she is, but I totally understand why you are worried!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
how scary! I hope she's okay!

·
16,000 Posts
THis can be a dangrous situation. Watch for vomiting, as well as for swelling of the orbits. I was out of town at a National, and while I was gone, I learned that one of my girls had come flying down the hill with a Spinone, they were both holding an end of a Booda rope toy, and she slammed right into the closed kennel door. She had a terrible concussion, and her eyes swelled. She ultimately developed strabismus (crossed eyes) which to this day comes and goes, mainly when she is tired, or stressed. She has been seen several times by Dr. David Ramsey, a board certified veterinary ophthalmologist, and has cleared CERF every time. She was very lucky that the retina didn't detach and that she maintained sight at all.

I'd call the vet if she continues to be lethargic.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you PG, all these possibilities are running through my mind. Abby is definitrly not herself. I called the ER vet (owned by my vet and a few cohorts) and they said bring her in if you think you need to.

As I have posted many pictures, Finn is laying on her now. I think I will bring her up on the couch and make sure she is breathing regularly. I know I can take her to the ER at any time. They have her dermo doc and know her.

·
16,000 Posts
Thank you PG, all these possibilities are running through my mind. Abby is definitrly not herself. I called the ER vet (owned by my vet and a few cohorts) and they said bring her in if you think you need to.

As I have posted many pictures, Finn is laying on her now. I think I will bring her up on the couch and make sure she is breathing regularly. I know I can take her to the ER at any time. They have her dermo doc and know her.
Can you check her eyes, with a flashlight to assure that the pupils are equal, and reactive? If they don't change size with the light going on and off them, there is a problem. You might also be able to tell if there is a bleed behind them.

If she is not acting herself, I would not hesitate to get her in to be checked. This might be a situation where steroid therapy is indicated, and treatment started sooner than later can affect the outcome.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts