1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
I have dumb question....You can buy Pet meds at the pharmacies like CVS? Most pet meds I get from the vet...how does this work? Will the vet send the order to your drug store of choice?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
There are a lot of dogs on generic/non generic (...what's the word for that?!) drugs for some health and behavior issues.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have dumb question....You can buy Pet meds at the pharmacies like CVS? Most pet meds I get from the vet...how does this work? Will the vet send the order to your drug store of choice?
Not a dumb question. I was wondering the same thing. Do any of those stores sell things like Heartguard/Frontline, etc.?

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
A lot of the medications prescribed for dogs are the same as those prescribed for humans-thyroid medication, for one, anti-seizure meds for another, heart meds, diabetic supplies, and antibiotics as well. Some of them even qualify for the $4 for 30 day generic price at places like Wal-mart

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Your vet has to be willing to give you the prescription and you take it to the pharmacy to be filled or call it in for you. I've never had a problem filling my dog's prescription at a pharmacy, they only have the meds that are used for both dogs and people. Many antibiotics (cephalexin, amoxicillin), eye meds, thyroid meds and pain meds (Tramadol) come to mind. They are most often cheaper than getting the meds from your vet, but not all vets will give you the prescription. I recently got 2 months worth of cephalexin from Bi-Lo for $8 and CVS wanted to charge me almost $40 for that same prescription so it pays to check around.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
My Toby gets his eye drops from Walmart. Barkley's Tramadol comes from Walmart as well, all on the discounted plans.

As far as Frontline, I found some at Costco, just slightly cheaper than at Entirely Pets.com. Since it isn't prescription non-pharmacies can sell it.

Also, if your dog is on something like Thyroid, check out kvsupply.com. You can get .5 generic thyroid tablets in a bottle of 1000 for dirt cheap. Barkley is on .5, and Toby on .6. I got two bottles, one at .5 and one at .1 (1000 in each) by asking my vet to write a prescription for the brand KV sold.

As far as the discount cards, some counties also have a discount card program. I used it once for me, and it was cheaper than the pharmacy and what it would be under the walk-up price in my insurance plan. It even surprised the pharmacy tech. Generally the mail in pricing is the best option if you have drug coverage at all (in my opinion at least).

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's obviously not going to work with all pet medications for dogs like my Mitchman who is on Sertraline, (Zoloft) which is almost $200.00 for 90 days, and Busparone (Buspar) which isn't nearly as inexpensive. Very few vets if any would carry these meds, and Pet med stores don't either.
I wish I had this several years ago when after surgery Hailey need Fentanyl patches, which I had to get from the pharmacy! It cost me $ 75.00 for 2 patches! That discount would have been nice at time.:doh:

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I know our DD's fiance got his dog's steroid meds at Meijer. Very inexpensive...something like $4.00

As far as I know they took the script from the vet into the Meijer pharmacy. The ticket had the dog's name on it. (I picked it up for him one day).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts