Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday, I attended an obedience training session with a new trainer, Kim Cooper, who operates Best Friends training facility in Ottawa, Ontario. I was impressed!

Although I have been doing obedience training for over 35 years, I felt like an absolute novice who was a sponge for new information.

Nyg has his CD & CGN & is just polishing up before we trial for his CDX. At least that is what I thought! :uhoh:
After our session with Kim, there is so much more I can do & am now doing! His recall is now 200% faster, his retrieve on flat come back is 200% faster, his drop on recall is instant and, most important to me, he's happier!!!!!! His tail is wagging constantly. What have I been doing? Well, Kim has incorporated many training methods from agility into obedience, taken away the "choke" type collar, taken away "formal type" corrections and made it fun for both of us. She has also made ME move more with Nyg on exercises where he's working away from me. Training is now a fun game for us & my immediate successes are showing.

Razz is working on his CD and all of his exercises are being done ok but not polished. I can be blamed for much of this as I haven't been insisting on close heeling or sits as he's still in the conformation ring & he has to "perform" out from his handler & NO sits. Again, we're making training sessions more fun with games incorporated to polish up.

I'm just thrilled with the results so far & can't wait till our next session (not till Jan 2010 :()

On a further positive note, Kim was very impressed by the skills and the enthusiasm that both Nyg & Razz already have. Now the handler, well, she has ALOT of work to do :doh::doh: - keep my body straight, shoulders forward, concentrate on "T" turns, smaller steps around the outside "figure 8" exercise, quit huffing & puffing, etc, etc, etc. 90% trainer, 10% dog! ;);)

I just wish I was closer to Ottawa for more regular training but 2 1/2 hours each was is getting a little too far even for this crazy golden lady! :no::no::no:

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
You sound so excited it make me happy just to read your post!

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,698 Posts
Wow - that sounds like an excellent session.

I absolutely love being able to train obedience etc as a game. When I compare my training bag contents now to what they were 25 years ago, I never cease to be happy and amazed at how far dog-training has come since the old yank and play alpha days. And yes, the results are so obvious its amazing.

Bet you can't wait for the next session :)

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
That is so exciting!!!
I'm hoping to find someone in the surrounding area that I can work with.
There's not much around here for formal obedience :(

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
that's great! switching trainers made a world of difference for me and the Tito Monster, too. In fact, if we hadn't, I probably would have quit obedience totally.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts