Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed that when I let my baby outside today that he began limping shortly after going inside. I didn't see him fall outside. So I wasn't sure what happened. He messed with his paw and continue to limp for a few more minutes. I got a hold of him and looked at his paw. He has this weird thing where he watches my hands massage his paws. I think he enjoys it. LOL! Anyhow, I began to look at his paw and he sat quietly and stared while I fished around for a reason for his pain. Then I saw it!
20200207_174113.jpg
A thorn had been pushed all the way into his little paw pad. I carefully and quickly pulled it out as it was deeply embedded and I didn't want to hurt him further. I pulled it out in one Fell Swoop! He's all better now and I feel like a proud mama. 馃槉

Registered
Good job! He's so cute.

We used to have a place on the coast of South Carolina. The minute Luke would get a Sandspur, he'd stop in his tracks and lift his paw up. I came to know what that meant.

I'm glad you found the thorn and were able to make him feel all better. 馃挄

Super Moderator Leader
OP, good job getting the thorn out.

I would keep an eye on the area where the thorn was to make sure it doesn't get infected.
I keep a bottle of Vetericyn on hand, it's a wound and skin care. My Vet clinic uses it and recommends it. I bought my first bottle from my clinic but have since ordered it from Amazon. It takes care of a variety of things.

Good job! He's so cute.

We used to have a place on the coast of South Carolina. The minute Luke would get a Sandspur, he'd stop in his tracks and lift his paw up. I came to know what that meant.

I'm glad you found the thorn and were able to make him feel all better. 馃挄
Sandspurs are the worst........the tip of them can break off in your skin, fester up and get infected.

I have a pair of tweezers handy in the kitchen, carry a pair in my purse and take them along when I walk my dog in case he gets one in a paw.

Registered
OP, good job getting the thorn out.

I would keep an eye on the area where the thorn was to make sure it doesn't get infected.
I keep a bottle of Vetericyn on hand, it's a wound and skin care. My Vet clinic uses it and recommends it. I bought my first bottle from my clinic but have since ordered it from Amazon. It takes care of a variety of things.

Sandspurs are the worst........the tip of them can break off in your skin, fester up and get infected.

I have a pair of tweezers handy in the kitchen, carry a pair in my purse and take them along when I walk my dog in case he gets one in a paw.
Thanks for the info about Vetericyn. I haven't heard of it. I will get some of that. I've used Betagen spray, but that's prescription/antibiotic.

Registered
I keep this on hand..But have to be careful about them licking; I will be buying some Vetericyn today to also keep in their medicine kit.

Registered
A few years ago I was out waterfowl hunting with our Golden Retriever. After the hunt I was letting her run around while we (my adult so was with us) picked up the decoys. Suddenly, my pup came up and sit down in front of me, lifting her front right paw up, and looking at me like, help me. She was not making any noise, but I knew something was wrong. I got down on my knees and carefully looked at her paw. To my amazement, she had a very long thorn from a Black Locust tree in her paw. It had entered her foot in the very center between her pads, and then completely penetrated the paw! It was sticking out the top of the paw, with over two inches of the thorn showing. It scared the heck out of me as I knew these could be real trouble. So we loaded up our gear, picked up the pup and went back to the car. We had about a two hour drive to get to a 24hr. vet location. I wrapped her foot loosely in a ace bandage being careful not to put in pressure on the thorn. When we got to the vet location they took her right in. He pulled out the thorn after he determined that it had missed all the tendons, was only in soft tissue. He gave our pup a shot to fight any infection and told me to watch is close for 24-48 hours for any sign of infection. It all turned out well as she completely recovered.

Thorns of a Black Locus Tree
1581695433132.png

Registered
A few years ago I was out waterfowl hunting with our Golden Retriever. After the hunt I was letting her run around while we (my adult so was with us) picked up the decoys. Suddenly, my pup came up and sit down in front of me, lifting her front right paw up, and looking at me like, help me. She was not making any noise, but I knew something was wrong. I got down on my knees and carefully looked at her paw. To my amazement, she had a very long thorn from a Black Locust tree in her paw. It had entered her foot in the very center between her pads, and then completely penetrated the paw! It was sticking out the top of the paw, with over two inches of the thorn showing. It scared the heck out of me as I knew these could be real trouble. So we loaded up our gear, picked up the pup and went back to the car. We had about a two hour drive to get to a 24hr. vet location. I wrapped her foot loosely in a ace bandage being careful not to put in pressure on the thorn. When we got to the vet location they took her right in. He pulled out the thorn after he determined that it had missed all the tendons, was only in soft tissue. He gave our pup a shot to fight any infection and told me to watch is close for 24-48 hours for any sign of infection. It all turned out well as she completely recovered.

Thorns of a Black Locus Tree
View attachment 870081 View attachment 870081
Oh my! I'm so glad it was only soft tissue. Poor baby. I've never seen one of these trees.

Registered
Oh my! I'm so glad it was only soft tissue. Poor baby. I've never seen one of these trees.
I was raised in Colorado, spent much of my life in the mountains. We did not have these trees in Colorado. Then I moved out of Colorado, ending up in Missouri. They are all around out here, so if you ever come to Missouri, watch out for them, they are hard on man and beasts!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts