Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Avery is 15months old. He NEVER has accidents in the house anymore. That being sad, when I got home today he had pooped in the floor! I left him in the house only one hour then I normally do! Classes started back for me so I have to leave the house an hour earlier. I hope this is not what I have to look forward to the rest of the semester!!! It really shocked me. He never even tee-tees let alone poops in the house. I feel really bad...I hope he wasn't hurting. I didn't get on to him, I just cleaned it up and shampooed the carpet!!!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I'm sure you did, but I have to ask. Did you let him eliminate before you left the house?

I think Maverick will end up like Avery, 15mo left alone outside of his crate. To many other owners I've spoken with they think 15mo is even young to be left alone in the house for any extended period of time. However, as the owners, we're the only ones who really know how good they are.

·
Phoenix
93 Posts
OH dear! My only suggestion is to see if you have time to take him outside just before you leave and play a bit with him, get the chance to go to the bathroom, and not to forget to let him out as soon as you get home.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure you did, but I have to ask. Did you let him eliminate before you left the house?

I think Maverick will end up like Avery, 15mo left alone outside of his crate. To many other owners I've spoken with they think 15mo is even young to be left alone in the house for any extended period of time. However, as the owners, we're the only ones who really know how good they are.
OF COURSE!!!! I always make sure he does all his business before I leave! I couldn't crate Avery any more after he was 11months...I hate crating and I knew he was ready. I started out leaving him alone an hour at a time then slowly increased. This is fourth month with no crate and he does great. He goes to a doggie day care two times a week with another golden and a pitbull he is "friends" with. I was so shocked.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OH dear! My only suggestion is to see if you have time to take him outside just before you leave and play a bit with him, get the chance to go to the bathroom, and not to forget to let him out as soon as you get home.
That's what was so weird. I let him out about an hour before I leave...let him have about thirty min "alone time" in the back yard. I let him back in and then take him out again right before I leave, play quick fetch, and make sure he goes. I don't know what happened today.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
OF COURSE!!!! I always make sure he does all his business before I leave! I couldn't crate Avery any more after he was 11months...I hate crating and I knew he was ready. I started out leaving him alone an hour at a time then slowly increased. This is fourth month with no crate and he does great. He goes to a doggie day care two times a week with another golden and a pitbull he is "friends" with. I was so shocked.
That's what was so weird. I let him out about an hour before I leave...let him have about thirty min "alone time" in the back yard. I let him back in and then take him out again right before I leave, play quick fetch, and make sure he goes. I don't know what happened today.
Well ya know, gotta ask, sometimes it's the simplest things we forget at times, especially with your classes starting back up.

You didn't give him any extra food did you? And how long are you gone for?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well ya know, gotta ask, sometimes it's the simplest things we forget at times, especially with your classes starting back up.

You didn't give him any extra food did you? And how long are you gone for?
DING! DING! DING! I fed him later than usual. That just hit me. He normally gets breakfast at 5:30am and today I didn't feed him until 7:45.

He is normally at the house alone about 6hrs. Now That I'm starting school and will be gone longer (about 8 1/2 hours), I have someone coming over mid-day to play with him and let him out on the days he doesn't day-care.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
DING! DING! DING! I fed him later than usual. That just hit me. He normally gets breakfast at 5:30am and today I didn't feed him until 7:45.

He is normally at the house alone about 6hrs. Now That I'm starting school and will be gone longer (about 8 1/2 hours), I have someone coming over mid-day to play with him and let him out on the days he doesn't day-care.
Haha glad I helped you remember. How the heck were you up at 5:30am and now getting up at 7:45am with classes starting? lol

That is quite a bit of time for him to be left alone.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha glad I helped you remember. How the heck were you up at 5:30am and now getting up at 7:45am with classes starting? lol

That is quite a bit of time for him to be left alone.
I get up at 5:30 and leave at 8. I usually get up at 5:30 and leave at 9. I am OKAY with leaving him for 6 hours. I'm not okay with anything longer that's why I now have a dog sitter, and have bumped his daycare to three times a week. Don't jump on me- I TAKE CARE OF HIM! Lol. He is my life, as sad as that may sound...

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
if someone will be there mid day - 4 hours is not that bad for a 15 month old.
We don't crate Rose and as of today she is alone in the hallway for 2 hours. Luckily we got industrial rugs that we can just take outside, spray and run the pressure washer thru it but still save the hard wood floors. Hopefully by the time winter comes we'll do much better.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if someone will be there mid day - 4 hours is not that bad for a 15 month old.
We don't crate Rose and as of today she is alone in the hallway for 2 hours. Luckily we got industrial rugs that we can just take outside, spray and run the pressure washer thru it but still save the hard wood floors. Hopefully by the time winter comes we'll do much better.
How old is Rose?
Avery does excellent (normally)

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
11 weeks today. - she is still in that two hour (if I am lucky :D) range. She will never be home alone more than three hours down the road no matter her age.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I get up at 5:30 and leave at 8. I usually get up at 5:30 and leave at 9. I am OKAY with leaving him for 6 hours. I'm not okay with anything longer that's why I now have a dog sitter, and have bumped his daycare to three times a week. Don't jump on me- I TAKE CARE OF HIM! Lol. He is my life, as sad as that may sound...
Not jumping on you at all, we all got our own lives to sort out as well. And as a fellow student, I definitely know how you feel. Though my schedule is much more forgiving and Maverick will only be alone for about 2.5hrs tops.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not jumping on you at all, we all got our own lives to sort out as well. And as a fellow student, I definitely know how you feel. Though my schedule is much more forgiving and Maverick will only be alone for about 2.5hrs tops.
That's good. And I'm happy to report- no accidents today! The dog sitter came by at lunch and took him for a walk and played fetch. And he got back to his normally feeding routine. I can't wait until January! I don't like not being the one who sees him at lunch!!! I'm a jealous Mama..

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Today Rose was alone for two and a half hours intervals until daughter came home from school. No ACCIDENTS! During the excitement of us being home and getting dinner going, not knowing who took her out and when we had two oopsies. Darn, she can sit and whoa, lay down, shake hands, she even whoas for two treats on each paw but when she has to go she GOES!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Accidents happen, I just was so shocked because he hasn't had an accident in about five months or maybe longer!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts