Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My 15 week old boo boo has got a small hot spot under his left arm. Its very dry now.. I suspect it started sometime back and am just noticing now...

Are there any remedies I can try for this before I go to the vet? Like Sufadene or something?

Please suggest

Regards,
Yadhu

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion... So is Apple Cider Vinegar a solution in itself? I mean is applying that enough?

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I am never lucky enough to see them coming with Buddy so I give it to him by mouth. I would check with the vet to make sure it is safe to give a puppy though.

·
3 goldens
11,787 Posts
I have never seen a dry hot spot. The ones my KayCee would get, and occasionally Hunter, were always wet, sticky, nasty things that would grow from pencil erasre to silver dollar size in just a few hours. I woudl alwasy take them to my vet and one day he told me I was wasting my money--i could clip the fur back from the sore myself, scrub with peroxide, and on my own, after it was dry I applied Gold Bond Poweder. That alwasy worked for me as long as I caught it soon enough.

My one golden got his first hotspot on a rear leg when he was like 11. It was huge over night and I took him to the vet. He had to wear a cone. It was summe and he slobbered so much, it was retained in the cone and he got a very nasty hot spot on his throat and under his jaw. He had to have a large area shaved. That was the only time I ever hot spot trouble with Buck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Elvis used to get them before his allergies were under control, and now whenever I see one starting I immediately clean it with anti bacterial soap, make sure it is very dry afterwards and then use Gold Bond powder (can get it at Walmart- Walmart.com: Gold Bond Original Strength Body Powder, 10 oz: Medicine Cabinet ). I just make sure that after I put the powder on that it has time to absorb and work and make sure that he does not lick it off. I think he knows that it helps now as he leaves it alone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the information...

I read from one of the posts that, if its dry its not a hot spot... what else could it be? Is it a simple case of inflamation? What could be its remedy?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I give fish oil pills as recommended by my vet to reduce the inflammation after he had hot spots, so I assume it works for any kind of skin inflammation. I just make sure to give the kind of pills that don't contain soy as that can be an allergen to many dogs.

·
gino forever
104 Posts
Hi

My 15 week old boo boo has got a small hot spot under his left arm. Its very dry now.. I suspect it started sometime back and am just noticing now...

Are there any remedies I can try for this before I go to the vet? Like Sufadene or something?

Please suggest

Regards,
Yadhu
hey, you can use hydrogen peroxide to clean it so that you prevent it from having any infection. then after that you can apply calamine lotion over it so that it soothes the wound and it feels better for your dog as well :) this always works for all the dogs we've seen and we gave them this advice

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Thanks for all the information...

I read from one of the posts that, if its dry its not a hot spot... what else could it be? Is it a simple case of inflamation? What could be its remedy?
If it's dry it's either not an active hotspot or it's healed and nothing more needs to be done. Then again, it may not be a hotspot at all. Does your puppy wear a harness? Could be irritation from that. Can you post a picture?

Hotspots are not dry, they are oozy, red, weeping skin sores. They are painful and can spread like wildfire. My last Golden used to get them frequently in the spring when our weather was warm and wet and she still had her winter coat. Sometimes, if caught early, I could treat them on my own but usually she needed an antobiotic shot and oral meds.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HI Williow52... I think you are right... it might have been a hotpot on the first place or it might have been a hot spot which healed since it is totally dry...

For the first 1.5 weeks after he arrived i used to use a harness... not its flat collar.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts