Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently we lost our precious dog Lilou, unexpectedly and are extremely heartbroken. We want to apply for another golden puppy for the next 1-2 years as I’m aware the wait time for a pup from a good breeder is quite long.
However, we don’t live in the US anymore, and in my region, there aren’t any good breeders that provide health clearances (hip, elbow, heart, joint, thyroid, eye...). The best breeder here, in addition to torturing the mother by not missing a heat, would say their pups are “vet checked and dewormed” and obviously we don’t want that.
I am very familiar with pet travel process and ready to plan a vacation in the US/Europe during which I will pick the puppy a bit late after their rabies vaccination and complete paperwork then travel. The puppy will travel in a crate under the seat and will be with me all the time...... I just contacted few breeders and Eldorado just responded that they do not sell to anyone out of the US and I assume many won’t. I am asking for your help to find a good ethical breeder that will be able to sell for someone out of the US/Europe. Any European breeder, or US breeder from states CA, OR, VA, NY, WA breeders are preferred, but again, the quality of the breeder is what I care about the most and there is a room for flexibility..... Thank you.

·
Registered
209 Posts
One bit of important information would be to know where you live.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,853 Posts
That is a really long flight - anywhere from about 14 to 20 hours. Why not try European breeders? They may be more willing to sell to someone 6 to 8 hours away by plane. BTW, if you have to wait til after the rabies vaccination is done to bring the pup into Saudi Arabia, the puppy will not fit in a carrier under the seat. You basically have until maybe 10 weeks old for a female pup and even that might be pushing it. I flew mine home at 8 weeks old, and she did not fit the carrier anymore by 10 weeks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That is a really long flight - anywhere from about 14 to 20 hours. Why not try European breeders? They may be more willing to sell to someone 6 to 8 hours away by plane. BTW, if you have to wait til after the rabies vaccination is done to bring the pup into Saudi Arabia, the puppy will not fit in a carrier under the seat. You basically have until maybe 10 weeks old for a female pup and even that might be pushing it. I flew mine home at 8 weeks old, and she did not fit the carrier anymore by 10 weeks.
Oh thanks for the advice. I do not mind buying from Europe. Do you know of any good breeders there? The US was the first that came into my mind since it was my home for 5 years.

Regarding carrier, some airlines can keep pets in a larger crate in the hold in a temperature controlled room separate from luggage. So that can hopefully be worked out.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you lived in the US for a period of time and did something to show you were active such as GRCA or a local club member and participated in obedience, field, conformation, etc while you were here, that might help but sending a dog to that region means you would lose all traceability of the pup.

Right now,, good breeders have potentially hundreds of applicants within a tank of gas driving distance. Sending a pup to the Middle East is just tough no matter if you checked the most boxes the breeder was seeking in a home outside of your address.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you lived in the US for a period of time and did something to show you were active such as GRCA or a local club member and participated in obedience, field, conformation, etc while you were here, that might help but sending a dog to that region means you would lose all traceability of the pup.

Right now,, good breeders have potentially hundreds of applicants within a tank of gas driving distance. Sending a pup to the Middle East is just tough no matter if you checked the most boxes the breeder was seeking in a home outside of your address.

Good luck.

Thanks for your input.

·
Kate
21,362 Posts
I don't know of any reputable breeder who would sell a pup to somebody living in Saudi Arabia.

I don't even think you can IMPORT a dog there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know of any reputable breeder who would sell a pup to somebody living in Saudi Arabia.

I don't even think you can IMPORT a dog there.
Actually I can, and as I said I am very familiar with the process. I have done this before when I transported my dog with me from the US to Saudi after I graduated.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Oh thanks for the advice. I do not mind buying from Europe. Do you know of any good breeders there? The US was the first that came into my mind since it was my home for 5 years.

Regarding carrier, some airlines can keep pets in a larger crate in the hold in a temperature controlled room separate from luggage. So that can hopefully be worked out.
I'm sure they would put them in the room you refer to - but the thing is, a puppy needs to pee very very often. You're asking a lot of them to make such a journey.

·
Premium Member
4,582 Posts
I know some European breeders that might ship. They are a lot closer to you. I think Euro breeders are more open to puppies going to foreign countries because they move pups within Europe so much already. I do know a Canadian breeder on the west coast that has sold quite a lot of puppies to Japan and been very happy. Would you be open to Canada? Would you be open to an Italian breeder? I also know other Canadian breeders that have sold into Germany and the UK.
I could refer you to those breeders. I think they will be way more up to speed about international shipping than a breeder that has not ever shipped internationally.
Does Saudi Arabia have a national breed club?
P.S. Some breeders think it's easier on the dam to have back to back litters, instead of skipping a cycle. There are different theories. I'm not sure if anyone has proven medically that one method is better than the other.

·
Registered
12,853 Posts

I do not know any breeders in Europe.

But, no matter what, this is an extremely long flight, long process to put a baby puppy through. It's one thing to have a puppy fly in the cabin with you, but an entirely other thing to fly it in cargo (and not the same as doing it with an adult dog, which I also wouldn't do). A baby puppy would be traumatized by the time it finally got out of the cargo hold - the noise, the dark, the being alone, the being forced to soil its kennel. It's a baby. Please reconsider this plan. Are there no breeders at all in the Middle East? Maybe not in Saudi, but what about Egypt? Or UAE? Even breeders in Eastern Europe may be more willing to sell to someone in SA.

Reactions: BlazenGR

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know some European breeders that might ship. They are a lot closer to you. I think Euro breeders are more open to puppies going to foreign countries because they move pups within Europe so much already. I do know a Canadian breeder on the west coast that has sold quite a lot of puppies to Japan and been very happy. Would you be open to Canada? Would you be open to an Italian breeder? I also know other Canadian breeders that have sold into Germany and the UK.
I could refer you to those breeders. I think they will be way more up to speed about international shipping than a breeder that has not ever shipped internationally.
Does Saudi Arabia have a national breed club?
P.S. Some breeders think it's easier on the dam to have back to back litters, instead of skipping a cycle. There are different theories. I'm not sure if anyone has proven medically that one method is better than the other.
Thanks so much for your reply, I truly appreciate it. Please share websites/contact info of those breeders and whatever information you have about them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I do not know any breeders in Europe.

But, no matter what, this is an extremely long flight, long process to put a baby puppy through. It's one thing to have a puppy fly in the cabin with you, but an entirely other thing to fly it in cargo (and not the same as doing it with an adult dog, which I also wouldn't do). A baby puppy would be traumatized by the time it finally got out of the cargo hold - the noise, the dark, the being alone, the being forced to soil its kennel. It's a baby. Please reconsider this plan. Are there no breeders at all in the Middle East? Maybe not in Saudi, but what about Egypt? Or UAE? Even breeders in Eastern Europe may be more willing to sell to someone in SA.
Thanks for your reply. The problem with Eastern Europe and especially Egypt and the UAE is they don’t test parents before breeding. Being a middle eastern, I know very well the culture of those breeders and have even been looking to find a sister/brother for my dog before he passed away. I have done ton of research for breeders in the Middle East but couldn’t find any that I could trust.
Even in the UK and Europe, the best I could find were only providing ED and HD.
I am aware of how stressful the journey might be. But to me, an 11 hour trip where the pup is in a large divided kennel, for potty and sleep, exposed to new areas, smells, environments and a ton of people, even with stress, is better than buying a pup from a breeder close to me and risking that baby suffer from health problems and exposing them to pain and stress their whole life.

·
Super Moderator
1,373 Posts
If the puppy flies in cargo you cannot use a divided kennel, it will have to be in an airline approved crate. My puppy flew to me from Australia to Singapore at 12 weeks old- 8 hour flight time, including the check in and waiting times was around 12 hours in total. He came out of the crate a little frazzled but in good health and spirit. He understandably did soil his crate with some pee, but did not poop. the company that did the pet shipping for me sized up the crate so that it was very large and roomy for him, but airline approved crates have most of their sides covered with some holes at the side, so it must have been dark in the cargo hold, and of course the noise is very intense and frightful... My boy doesn't seem to have any lasting 'memory' of his time in cargo though, I live in an area with high aircraft traffic and there is aircraft noise daily and he has no issues.

Check with the European breeders, the flight timing is wayy more reasonable, eg: 5-6 hours, including the check in times would be maybe 9-10 hours in the crate in total. Also, check up on the quarantine restrictions as those might differ based on the country you import from. If there are quarantine restrictions I would advise looking to import from a country that would allow your puppy to enter without quarantine.

·
Premium Member
4,582 Posts
Thanks so much for your reply, I truly appreciate it. Please share websites/contact info of those breeders and whatever information you have about them.
I will PM you some contacts in the Euro golden world. They may have suggestions of breeders closer to you.

Reactions: Lilousmum
1 - 19 of 19 Posts