Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Yuki has got a rash under his chin-neck area, tiny pink-ish spots and some of hair have fallen off in the chest area. i am worried about it a lot :--sad:

i am thinking maybe the puppy food is the culprit here :( i am giving him this one puppy food

he has been on this food since 28th of Oct. he has been "itching" himself and whining as he "itches". i hadnt noticed it before but today the area looked really red-ish pink which scared me so after some wrestling and pinning him down i had a look at it. its definitely a rash. i have to wait a couple hours before i go to vet since when i called him the receptionist said today he had a couple emergencies and i have to wait couple hours or see him tomorrow.

my problem is i searched many pet shops to find a good puppy food and sadly in india there isnt much of a good selection to choose from :( it was the best puppy food i could find at stores and its giving him a rash :--sad: what do i do about his meals? i dont want him to scratch himself so much or lose his coat.

any help and any ideas are welcome. thank you.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to blame the food. It could be an environmental reaction to something. Take him to the vet when you can and listen to what they tell you. Hopefully it's a simple rash that can be treated with a cream or with some pills.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Any new ingredients in the new food compared to the old? Or higher amount of any ingredient than the old food? Corn or grain as a first ingredient compared to a protein.

Has he been exposed to other dogs? Could he have caught something from another dog. Is where he goes to the bathroom in an area other dogs or animals have access to or is a high traffic area? ie private backyard compared to a park or public street.

Is the rash scabby too? Any bug bites?

My golden Lucky was very allergic to tick. Unfortunately I live in a high tick area. If he was bite by one and it was not tried right away like within a few yrs his hair would start to get a hot spot and his hair/ skin would slough off.

He also picked up mange dur to exposure to an infected fox. Show the fox a few times from a distance but Lucky never had direct contact.

Good luck at the vets.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
It could be as simple as what you wash your floor's with. My daughter had her dog with her in Naples, Italy where she lived in a second story complex with brick floors. Her dog developed a rash and after lots of work they found that when the floors were mopped with water, the brick floor gave off a definate smell and the dogs skin was reacting to this. She had to put her dog in another room, mop, let it fully dry before her dog could re-enter (also got lots of rugs).

Just see what your Vet has to say, but it might not be food allergies at all! Good Luck.

Reactions: Yuki

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any new ingredients in the new food compared to the old? Or higher amount of any ingredient than the old food? Corn or grain as a first ingredient compared to a protein.

Has he been exposed to other dogs? Could he have caught something from another dog. Is where he goes to the bathroom in an area other dogs or animals have access to or is a high traffic area? ie private backyard compared to a park or public street.

Is the rash scabby too? Any bug bites?
um....new ingredients....yes he was on puppy milk before i switched to this so mostly this food is all new to him. i have placed the link for the food i am giving him =/ its called lamb and rice puppy food from eukanuba.

i live in high traffic area with a few packs of stray dogs around....its the reason i dunt take him out for walks around my house. we live on second floor so he hasnt had any contact with other dogs or animals.

the rash was tiny pink dots spread over the chin/neck/chest area....not scabby. =/ um....i check him daily for fleas or ticks while brushing, he has none, other bugs....i dont know.

my previous dog was very allergic to fleas and ticks. she used to develop a rash on tummy if there was a flea, so for this pup i am always on the look out for fleas or ticks.

i remembered reading about applying rosemary tea for allergic rashes in dogs. i used to soak a bit of cotton in it and wipe the area, wait 5-10 mins and wipe with plain water. i did that to my pup and now the rash is gone (-__-)

the other poster said about mopping the floor....that could be it cuz he was playing on wet floor as my mom was mopping it. next time i will place him in another room when we mop. also check what mom used to mop the floor with =/ i dont want my pup to have rashes, it feels awful wen you get a rash.

i am going to see the vet today, :) thanks for all the help wen i was freaking out *hugs*

:--sad: but he is shedding his coat....there is puppy hair all over the place. is it normal for 8 week old pup to shed? all the fluffy coat is falling off its making me sad a bit.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Eukanuba is a perfectly good food, and I know many members on this forum feed it with great results. Let us know what the vet says. You are taking very good care of Yuki.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update:

the vet said i was freaking out over nothing (-__-) and he also gave me a cream to use in future if there is any rash. the vet said pup is in good health no problems at all. he also gave me a supplement (i have to add it to his meals) to give the pup, he said it will help the skin and coat of my pup since goldens are pretty sensitive dogs. :) so everything is fine now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts