Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just been through a whole bunch of golden puppy pics that I searched for on google.I am desperately trying to calculate if my puppy is a nice good size for his age:(.
When I brought him home last Tuesday (the 12th),he was almost 4lbs,and now,he´s up to 5.1lbs,so he´s gained weight nicely and I can tell that he´s grown too.
He turned a month old on the 14th so right now he´s 1 month and 5 days old.

Now,my mother-in-law is starting to make me paranoid.She keeps pointing out that Duke has tiny paws,and that if he were going to be as big as his mother,his paws would be HUGE by now..and whats worried me is,that in the pics of golden puppies that Ive seen,they actually do have chunky paws (of course,the pics that Ive seen are all of 6+ week old pups..I cant find any of anything younger).
Now,purebred goldens have alot more hair than Duke does,so I dont know weather that is what adds to their "chunky",teddy bear looks...:confused:

Dukes *front* paws are about 4cm (1.6 in) wide at this point.

The thing is,when I look at a 3 month old golden,and then I look at Duke,I cannot imagine those tiny little paws growing into the huge ones Im seeing all over the internet in just 7 more weeks...and as for barely being able to cradle him in my arms at that age,well that just seems impossible to me at this point.

I have never had a "big" dog,so I have no idea how fast they grow or how big they should be at what ages etc
People are just starting to anoy me with thier "shouldent his paws be alot bigger if he were going to be a big dog?" and "no..he´s going to be super tiny" etc etc

Are there any breeders on here that can tell me what messurments/weight a golden puppy should have at 4 to 5 weeks old?

Its not like Duke is a mix of Golden and Chihuahua,his father is a great dane,which just makes me even more confused as to why he isnt bigger.
I just need some peace of mind.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
You can't determine the size of the puppy by it's paws. Plus, your pup is so young yet. You won't know his size until he is around 12 months old.

I seriously can't wait to see pictures of your puppy growing up. He is the cutest little guy ever!

Bailey was 7 pounds at 8 weeks, which is on the smaller end of the scale for Goldens.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
He was only 4 weeks old when you brought him home???? Wow. That's way too young. They shouldn't be any younger than 7 weeks old when they leave their mother and littermates. He is still extremely young and has a lot of growing to do. We first visited both Tucker and Tyson at the breeder's when they were 4 weeks old and they were still very small. At such a young age, it's impossible to tell how big he's going to be as an adult. He still has a lot of growing to do and he's going to need a huge amount of work on socialization since he was taken from his littermates so early.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Bailey was 7 pounds at 8 weeks, which is on the smaller end of the scale for Goldens.
That sounds do-able to me! 2lbs in 3 more weeks for Duke seems possible:D

Bailey is BEAUTIFUL! How big is he now? I love his colour! Ive never seen a golden retriever that colour before..he´s stunning!!:)

He was only 4 weeks old when you brought him home???? Wow. That's way too young. They shouldn't be any younger than 7 weeks old when they leave their mother and littermates.
Its pretty much the norm here.For smaller breeds,the age they leave is around 6 weeks,for bigger breeds,its 4 to 5 weeks.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Boy, your MIL sure does like to get you worked up. :)
Don't worry about Duke, he's not and he's a cutie. He is going to look like Duke and grow up to be Duke however that turns out in the future (please tell your MIL I said so! :) )

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
oh your is just a baby...very young. Keep up the work and feeding - multiple times a day with lots of water and sleep.

I'm also surprised your pup is so young.

Post some pics and I think your ok.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Here are 2 pics of Hank. The first showing him now, 6.5 months/54lbs. The second, the day we brought him home, 5.5 weeks/3.14 lbs. Notice how small his paws were back then. Your pup is still a baby, those paws will grow and so will he. Don't worry.

Attachments

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
I took a look back at the pictures our breeder posted of Oscar's litter each week, and Duke looks to be a very similar size to what Oscar & his littermates were at the "4 weeks" mark. Hank is a much fluffier puppy than Oscar, so to me Oscar looked even smaller at 6 weeks than Hank did at 5.5 weeks.

But seriously by 6 weeks, Oscar & siblings were much bigger, so I'm sure Duke will grow himself some big paws soon ;) (Don't wish for it too soon though, enjoy that little pupper while you still have him!)

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if his paws wind up bigger than every Golden on this board... Great Dane paws are huge!!!! :) He is so adorable!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts