Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all this is my first post i am looking for some answers. i have a great buddy named Cotton and he is 9 months old. he is friendly and playful and so very loving . he is what i need at this time in my life.i have never owned a Golden before i have alwasy owned collies or shepards with a couile of afgans in there two. so some of his doings are strange to me but reading here there is nothing wrong with him he does what every other Golden does..So here is my question Cotton comes up on the couch when i am sitting on it and climbs on the back of the couch and sits on me. He tries to wrap himself around me . I have never had a dog do this. I knowhes not cold .I live in Miami,he does this so often during the day that he gets on my last nerve. He weghs close to 65 pounds now and when he lays on me it start to hurt.. Anyone experience this before and cantell me why adn what to do ..we seemd to fight 50 times a day. I am still stronger than he isso i win but soon i wont be,, Help me out please i love him but he is getting to me ,,,HELP:new (4):

Attachments

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Goldens are affectionately termed 'velcro dogs'. They want to be with their people ALL THE TIME. I think your dog is just displaying that desire in a very physical way. :) If you don't like it, I think you should try to teach your dog 'off' or something like that. I'm sure the real trainers on this board can chime in with better ideas.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
You have a very normal male golden. Affection is one of the best golden traits. I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
LOL very very common. Goldens love their peeps and tend to want to be touching you every second (males especially). My Caue will often sit on my shoulder/back of recliner. I have taught him the "down" command but for the most part I really don't mind the attention.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Has Cotton learned "off" as in "jump off" the couch, as well as "up" which in my house means an invitation to be on the couch? If he doesn't know those commands, it will be good to train him to jump up on the couch, and jump off, at your command. When you've had enough of his attention, you can command him to jump off, and teach him down to sit at your feet so he can curl at your feet.

With him being 9 months, I would actually guide him up and off the couch, depending on how high it is. You don't want puppies jumping around a lot, or at least not as much as you can help it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If you two are in Miami then he is probably begging you two turn the Air Conditioning down a few notches and you just don't realize it. :)

My 11 month golden loves to crawl up on me in my recliner. When he was a little guy it was very cute. As he got bigger it became more and more of a pain. Our college age boys would come home and I would come into the room and there was the golden lying on him. You could barely see my son. Just his arms and legs sticking out of the golden body. In fact, I would sleep on the couch and he would crawl on my back and fall asleep.

He became somewhat of a monster. We have changed that now. His place is on the floor. We now give him treats while he lies on the floor. We brush him while I lie on the couch and he is on the floor. It makes him relax and eventually he falls asleep. Find out what motivates your dog. Ours likes treats and tennis balls, a typical golden.

Best of luck and have fun doing it and your dog will comer around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

I want to hank all of you for posting while I have a minnute here from filing in the holes in my back yard and trying to replant my lawn. I guess i am not crazy he is. I can accept that .. He is like no other dog I have ever had. Now just tel me how to get him in the water. He is scare to death of it...ANYTHING:doh:

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Find another dog who likes to swim and he will probably follow him in the water. That's what we did with our pup.

He sounds like a typical golden, just needs some obedience training.Why don't you both take an obedience class together that stresses positive reinforcement?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It's a golden thing to be clingy. Connor spends a great deal of his time climbing all over me, sitting on me and otherwise being a true space invader.

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
while they do tend to be velcro dogs, there is no reason you have to put up with something that's causing you to be in pain.

definitely get to an obedience class with him, and also start retraining him to be in your lap or next to you rather than on top of you. so, if he starts to climb up on the back, make him get down immediately each and every time. if he lays next to you, but not on top of you, give him lots of praise and pets.

as for the swimming - go in yourself too. amazing how they'll follow us in there.

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
Obedience training is a good starting point. To deal with him climbing on you immediately, first teach him the command off and practice it when he is NOT climbing on you. Then if he climbs on you just stand up and giv him the "off" command. No force necessary.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Mad would be sprawled across me at all times if I let her. She's technically not supposed to be on the couches (only the bed) but I do invite her up for a cuddle once and a while. We started that after the ground rules were put in place, and she knew the off command. When she was younger I would get down on the floor for cuddle time, so that I had some control over the frequency. She still does however rest her head in my lap when I'm on the couch and she's on the floor.

I agree with Faith's mommy about the swimming, Mad's 2-1/2 and instead of just wading in the water she finally swam in the lake a few weeks ago cause I was in there.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Take that boy to the beach! Sand, water and toys are the only things I know that will loosen up the velcro.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts