Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Open VS Closed Tribute Thread

• Open thread for only Tribute stories- No comments

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Closed thread- you post elsewhere and contact a Mod.

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Missing Molly
1,524 Posts
I have a question. Which would be easier for the MODS, moving posts from another thread or deleting comments people may post who don't understand the rules of the thread?

I am confused now on what to do. It would be nice to just go to the thread and post your own story. But I wonder how often the mods would have to go in and clean out comments. With a closed thread we would have to PM the MODS to get our stories posted, but the thread would always look clean. Decisions decisions.

Either way, the MODS have their work cut out for them. But I truly love this idea!

·
Pearl, Lila, Betty's mom
3,147 Posts

·
Administrator
16,473 Posts
I vote closed, not everyone always leaves nice comments :(
(Option 2) If this were an open thread there would not be any comments as they would be removed, just stories only...............

In terms of the Mods requirements (for Option 1) just to let you all know a closed thread would actually require us to merge a thread you created into the one FeatherRiverSams would create. This can be done but we will have to watch we do not merge the wrong way as this could not be undone......

To all, just an FYI about the poll........... It will close on 11-14-2013 at 03:58 PM

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I think this is a great idea.
I would like to point out, though, that even the "closed" option may leave comments that need to be deleted by a MOD. If a member makes a memorial post somewhere (perhaps in the RB section) and PMs one of us to merge it into the sticky thread, others may post comments to that memorial before a MOD has a chance to move it. If we simply move the memorial post, that leaves orphaned comments which would need to be deleted.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,096 Posts
I'm in favor of leaving this thread open for several reasons.

I think each member would like to post their own tribute to their dog. If you contact a Mod to post it for you through a PM, the tribute will look like a post from the Mod and not the member.

If a Mod merges the original post into the closed thread, there is the possibility of it being put into the wrong thread, which can not be undone.

Tobysmommy also pointed out, that any comments in a thread that was originally posted in the Rainbow Bridge Section, would have to be edited out.

If comments are made in this new Sticky thread, I feel it would be much easier to remove them by leaving this thread Open so members can post their dog's tribute themselves.

·
Pearl, Lila, Betty's mom
3,147 Posts
I voted closed. Comments are wonderful, but I'm afraid I will miss a lot of posts as comments can make it hard for me to sift through a thread if I am busy.

This may be a lot to ask (it is easy to have ideas and ask others to implement them), but is there a way to have comments to specific posts so that they are nested? That would be cool, all the tributes could be the main posts and then comments below each post for those that want to carry on a conversation. The posts would be closed and comments open. A lot of blogs work this way, and sometimes even facebook comments do this nesting.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I would also prefer it to be closed. We have other options for posting stories, even the same story, where we can get love, support, and awesomely kind comments in the rainbow bridge section. Plus you could always PM the original poster if you felt strongly about leaving a comment.

I view this more like an online book. A book of the life stories of these awesome pets. I would love a few pictures in the stories too!
This was my view as well but after reading the recent posts from our moderators it looks like my vision isn't possible. Sandy made a very good point about the closed thread...the posts would look like they were being made by the moderators not the actual person.

I must admit I'm still a bit confused however :confused:....ideally I was hoping we could start this sticky and it would just contain the stories of our bridge kids, one after another, and would look like any other thread less the comments.

If that isn't possible then perhaps the open thread would be the best way to go. I can't imagine anyone posting any negative comments on a thread of this nature and if they did they should be banned. I also think it would be easier for people who have trouble posting pictures to work with the format of a regular thread rather than a PM. And I know most people would want to include pictures in their tribute.

It would also seem like a lot of extra work for the moderators to have to constantly delete comments, if that's even possible??, to keep the thread to just the stories. After all it's only natural for members to want to reply particularly to stories of this nature...

I think this is a great idea.
I would like to point out, though, that even the "closed" option may leave comments that need to be deleted by a MOD. If a member makes a memorial post somewhere (perhaps in the RB section) and PMs one of us to merge it into the sticky thread, others may post comments to that memorial before a MOD has a chance to move it. If we simply move the memorial post, that leaves orphaned comments which would need to be deleted.
Vivien I thought the way it would work would be the poster would actually PM the tribute to you so you would just have the story alone to paste onto the sticky. If the poster wanted to also post this story somewhere else to receive reply's / comments they could easily do so wherever they choose. But again as Sandy pointed out the post would look like it was made by the MOD instead if the actual poster.

Perhaps we could post instructions with the sticky that this thread is just for individual tributes / stories not to be followed up with any reply's to keep it as clean as possible. And mention that if you'd like to make a reply to a particular story please PM the poster or leave a visitor message on that posters home page. I know Vivien this is a long shot as I've seen it happen time and again on the monthly photo contest where you've clearly posted the rules and they get over looked.:(

As far the title for the sticky I thought we should try and keep it simple and more or less self explanatory, something like "A Tribute To Our Bridge Kids". This would be a brand new thread and wouldn't be linked to any currently existing threads.

I had no idea this could be so tricky but then good things often are and are worth it in the end.

Pete & Woody

Reactions: Allan's Girl

·
Administrator
16,473 Posts
It would also seem like a lot of extra work for the moderators to have to constantly delete comments, if that's even possible??, to keep the thread to just the stories. After all it's only natural for members to want to reply particularly to stories of this nature...

Pete & Woody
The Mod team is also taking a vote in our discussion group and so far the ones that have voted are for an open thread because actually this would be easier for the MOD team than working around a closed thread with trying to perform mergers or even copying PM into a closed thread. We would however remove ALL comments (good or bad) and only leaving the stories from the OP.

·
Missing Molly
1,524 Posts
With the new information coming out and upon further consideration, I would like to change my vote to an open thread. I shouldn't have voted before I had all the details :doh:, but there you have it.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I agree Rob...please change mine to open as well. And again thank you for making the time to address this.

Pete & Woody

Reactions: Allan's Girl

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
So what about making a "Tribute Section" as a sub forum in the RB Section. Then as soon as someone posts a thread it could be closed by a Mod. Person posting the thread could contact a Mod and let them know they will be posting. That seems way easier that the Mods having to watch every thread so carefully.This way there would be threads for each person and their story. Hope this makes sense???

·
Pearl, Lila, Betty's mom
3,147 Posts
If you make it a forum with separate threads, it will be harder to see all come through. I like the idea of one thread because I can subscribe to it and I'll get updates with every new post.

Just my random thoughts.

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
So what about making a "Tribute Section" as a sub forum in the RB Section. Then as soon as someone posts a thread it could be closed by a Mod. Person posting the thread could contact a Mod and let them know they will be posting. That seems way easier that the Mods having to watch every thread so carefully.This way there would be threads for each person and their story. Hope this makes sense???
Is it possible for forum members to be able to close their own threads? Only threads they start. That way, they post a thread, close it and the MODS will merge it.

Either way the Mods will have their hands full.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts