Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Open VS Closed Tribute Thread

• Open thread for only Tribute stories- No comments

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Closed thread- you post elsewhere and contact a Mod.

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if it would be possible to creat a sticky thread where we could post pictures and a story of our goldens who have crossed the bridge. It would be a closed thread where you would have to go through a moderator by way of a PM to get your story posted.

I know we currently have a list for each year but it seems like it would be more gratifying to be able to post pictures and a story about your lovely golden. By closing the thread for comments you'd just end up with the dog and his/her story for everyone to see without any further distractions. And it wouldn't have to be in any particular order just post the pictures & stories as they come in.

Kind of like an obituary for our goldens. And again by closing the thread it would be cleaner and easier to follow. Somewhat like the "Photo Contest Winners Gallery"

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retriever-photo-contest/117645-2012-photo-contest-winners-gallery.html

Perhaps we could title the sticky something like...Our Sweet Goldens Waiting at the Bridge or maybe The Story Behind Our Sweet Bridge Boys & Girls.

I'm guessing here but it doesn't seem like it would require that much work...the PM could be copied & pasted into the thread by a given moderator for all to see.

Rob would have to okay this and find a moderator willing to take on the extra work...I'd volunteer but my computer skills are somewhat limited.

The first question is Rob can we do something like this?

And is this something you other members would like to see?

I hope I'm not out of line here but it's been on my mind for quite a while and thought it might be nice to see.

Pete & Woody

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Missing Molly
1,524 Posts
Yes I agree. Something that remains forever. You don't have to go digging for it!

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Thanks for suggesting this. I was thinking about doing something like this for my Zoe and posting in the rainbow bridge section. I'm not sure about closing it and not allowing responses. It's comforting to know that people have read your dog's story and are responding to it. But I can see keeping it simple with just the info and pictures.

·
Administrator
16,473 Posts
I moved this thread down to the Message to Admin Forum so it will not go down the page so fast and people get a chance to see if they are interested in this. If members seem interested in this, when the time comes I will have FetherRiverSam create the new thread in the Rainbow Forum section and then I can stick it after that. As FeatherRiverSam asked, this would be a closed thread where you would have to go through a moderator by way of a PM to get your story posted.

·
Luna and Lily's Dad
491 Posts
I like the idea of a sticky, but maybe not closed. Maybe it could be heavily moderated for anything off topic?

·
Administrator
16,473 Posts
If it was not closed and people could make their own posts about their passed Goldens, and as he requested, this would be a thread of only story after story of our beloved passed Goldens. As he put it "........just end up with the dog and his/her story for everyone to see without any further distractions." This could mean all heartwarming comments would be to be "removed" that came from other members commenting on a story.

I am just pointing all this out now so everyone has a chance to think about how to best handle this and come to a final agreement on what would be done with this.......

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Rob, I appreciate your interest and willingness to give this a try should enough interest be shown by our members.

PiratesAndPups I like the idea of a closed thread because it's just dedicated to the dogs and their owners feelings and that's it. It would be quicker to navigate and wouldn't require additional attention by the moderators, they've got enough on their plates as it is. If you're looking for feed back, which I understand is nice, then post something, even the same thing in one of the open Rainbow Bridge threads.

I hope this works out but it's up to you, all our members, so please let us know your feelings by posting. Thanks.

Pete & Woody

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bumping this up for some feed back....

Pete & Woody

·
Administrator
16,473 Posts
Here is where the Mod team is still discussing this ourselves.

First option: If it is a closed thread we would prefer you still post a thread somewhere else and PM a MOD of your thread and we would see if we could move a thread into an existing thread started by FeatherRiverSam. The reason for this, versus sending a MOD a PM with your story for us to post, is your user profile would still be with your story and not one of the MODs.

Second option: we are looking into whether to have an open thread for you all to post your story into but make it known no other comments and discussions are allowed. Also we would seek permission to remove any posts that did that and only leaving the story posts.

·
Missing Molly
1,524 Posts
I would also prefer it to be closed. We have other options for posting stories, even the same story, where we can get love, support, and awesomely kind comments in the rainbow bridge section. Plus you could always PM the original poster if you felt strongly about leaving a comment.

I view this more like an online book. A book of the life stories of these awesome pets. I would love a few pictures in the stories too!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts