Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My Willow was being babysat by some people with cats and ended up getting nicked in the eye by a cat's nail. I thought it missed the eye and just hit the corner since I was told she did not make a noise and her eye was not red nor did she blink excessively and it was not swollen.
I flushed it with water and put polysporin eye drops in it so it wouldn't get infected. But, I noticed a weird string thing hanging out and she was getting more eye boogers than normal so I took her to the vet.
He kept asking me what I thought the string thing was. I had no idea. 130 dollars later he told me her third eyelid was ripped and he just snipped the rest off and gave me some eyedrops.
Is this the normal treatment? I've been reading online and a lot of people are talking about third eyelid surgery?

Anyone know anything about this issue?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Kenzie had her third eyelid nicked by my cats.
The vet didn't snip it since we didn't feel it was important enough to knock her out to do it.
We just treated her with an eye ointment.
I havent noticed the piece of lid lately so I'm not sure if it just fell off or healed itself. Either way she is fine and the third eyelid did just what it was supposed to do

Reactions: karlyj0

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, my vet didn't put Willow out. I definitely wouldn't have paid for that. I just held her head and outer lids shut while he snipped it. I'm constantly cleaning her ears and teeth, think she's just used to prodding. I was kind of confused though because the vet seemed very surprised and relieved that she was still for it lol.

That's good to know though. Is the eye susceptible to infection or anything?
Does the eyelid completely heal back over to the way it was?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I believe the eye can get conjunctivitis. And cats claws aren't know for their cleanliness!
We gave Kenzie antibiotic ointment for about a week.
I just looked at her and can't even tell which eye was damaged anymore.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! That makes me super happy because my vet was kind of being awkward about the situation like he didn't know if snipping it would work. I have eyedrops for a week so I'm confident now that you say this lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts