Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Losing our little old Millie girl on Friday really put a down on our Christmas. We flew our youngest daughter in to say her goodbyes and back on a plane Friday to send her home. Saturday, Christmas Eve we were lost, so many sad memories at the house. We decided to drive the 5 hours to my sisters (as was the original plans) to celebrate being with family and try to leave sad memories for awhile. So in the drizzling rain we drove all the hours south. I am so glad we did.

We arrived about 10:00, helped with dinner, ate, lots of singing. Then we all loaded up (goldens included) and headed for a Christmas Eve Rodeo! Two of my neices ran barrels, lots of fun with many other Country Folk. The goldens thought they died and went to heaven with all the loving hugs and way too many snacks handed out. Watched the rodeo and then drove to the Church where they lit Advent candles and wreath, but because of the rain it was held inside instead of outside. I expected to sit in the truck with the dogs while the family attended, but the Minister came running out and invited us in! Took the pups into the rear foyer where we could see, but not get the floor dirty. Pups were sooooo good. It is a "Country Cowboy" Church, and just loved it and the members, really made us feel at home. Children did the nativity and Baby Jesus was brought in by a Newfoundland dog pulling a cart which had "Baby Jesus" in it. Live goats, Donkey, just such a cute, wonderful Christmas magic theme. Kye & Coop LOVED seeing the goat which kept trying to eat Coops fur on his back! Then we all loaded up and drove around the City Square which was lit up with Christmas lights and Magic in the Air. Seemed like the whole town was there (very, very small town). Just brought back such wonderful memories. Glad to see small towns so together at this time of the year. My neices sang (their Dad played the guitar) and their beautiful voices carried throught the church and grounds. Beautiful!!!

We had to drive the long drive back Sunday, but smiles are back and think this was one of the best Christmas Ever.

Kye and Coop had so many firsts. First time to be around horses and barns, first time asked to mind their manners at another's home. First time to meet their Blue Tick Hound cousins, first rodeo, first time sitting in bleachers. They were so good, and sooo tired by the end of the day. Both slept on the floor at the end of our bed.

So glad South Texas got the rain as it is so very needed. May God Bless my wonderful family for lifting our spirits and giving us the most wonderful Christmas.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'm so happy you were able to bring some joy and "firsts" into your Christmas, despite the loss of Millie on Friday. I'm also happy South Texas got rain too, because they need it more than we actually do, though we all need a lot more!

Your Christmas Eve sounded wonderful too--new memories and I just bet your sister was thrilled you were able to make it down. The story of Kye and Coop took me back to the first years after we moved to our home. The Episcopalian church near us had a Christmas Eve nativity scene, complete with a camel. Our Beau loved smelling the camel and seeing the site, but I don't think the feeling was mutual on the camel's part. Another church just up the street had a outdoor Christmas village earlier in the month with goats in a pen and he also enjoyed those festivities with the smelling and the gawking at the strange looking animals (in his mind!). It's too bad both churches stopped those festivities because we sure enjoyed them.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re the goat, it was young and solid white, wondered if it though Kye and Coop were its Mother because they are both light. haaa! That goat followed Coop everywhere (he was not happy about this) and honestly keep Baaaa at him the whole time. Kye was enthralled with the barn/house cats at my sisters. I could see "Prey" light up her face at first, but the oldest cat has handled this before and when Kye was too pushy, spit at her and swat at her. Kye was fast, but put her in her place real fast. From then on Kye just avoided the cats! Coop, LOVED the kitty's and thought they were odd that they didn't like him crawling on them looking for a place to rest among his New Friends. Think the Cats are glad the pups are gone.

Really amazed how well the kids did with so much newness coming at them from all sides, but they didn't act afraid and were game to head out in the drizzle any time humans went out. They especially loved the barn with the hay, horses and new smells. The Hounds took the goldens in stride and they played hard with them (good for the goldens to play hard with other dogs).

Yes, such a great time and amazed to see a church like this, as nothing in my experience has been like this (inviting me AND 2 dogs in!). Amazing and guess they would rather have you in the House of the Lord and sharing Gods word - no matter what you look like or who is with you (dogs)than sitting in a car and missing their Christmas Pagent. Fantastic and we were treated as nothing special. Can't imagine this in my more formal church. Really liked this and may look for another church with this same feeling.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I'm so happy for you that you can remember this Christmas with smiles and happy, funny memories.

Many times, sad events have caused me to alter our plans and create new plans. Out of every 'loss' has come a new and happy tradition. I hope you are able to make the trip and annual event now. It is a hug and a wag of her tail, a Christmas gift from Millie. Sweet girl.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Pennys Mom! I too felt it was Millie on my shoulder guiding our decisions for this weekend. Think she was smiling down on us and know she must have helped keep these pups acting so well.

You are right, sometimes changing plans, searching for the good,,is right there. Perhaps a church is just the place Mill wanted us to be, together as a family. Really miss my girl, but I know, that she knows, she was in all our prayers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts