Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

A little girl and her Dad

650 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Sankari
My wonderful 8-year old Golden Duffy is un-neutered. We lost our previous Golden, who was neutered at about 12 weeks, at age 7 from hemangiosarcoma and I believe the early neutering played a role in this.

Last July we were asked by neighbors who have a female Golden if Duffy could provide "stud service". Duffy has never shown the slightest interest in mounting anything so with some skepticism I allowed it. Long story short, instinct took over and a litter of 8 was born in early September. Both sire and dam are AKC registered, but this breeding will be a one-time thing for both of them.

So now we are the proud parents of Duffy's twelve-week old daughter. Obviously, they cannot both remain un-neutered. I will be talking to my vet about this next week, but would welcome any thoughts. It's too early to think about spaying the pup, but I'm afraid the surgery might be too rough on my 8 year old sweetheart boy.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,454 Posts
Why would they still need to remain separated if no puppies can occur? Pardon my ignorance. I'm no dog breeding expert.
He’s still going to lose his mind around her when she’s receptive. Not that neutered boys won’t, I have a terrible neutered boy (been neutered since 3mo), that goes crazy when the girls start flagging

· Registered
199 Posts
In my not as educated opinion, it seems to me that it would be better to leave the boy dog unaltered and spay the female puppy when she's a young adult. It would likely be a pain to deal with a long-haired female dog in heat, not to mention what I'm learning now that even neutered boy dogs go bananas when a female dog is in heat.

· Registered
2,145 Posts
In my not as educated opinion, it seems to me that it would be better to leave the boy dog unaltered and spay the female puppy when she's a young adult. It would likely be a pain to deal with a long-haired female dog in heat, not to mention what I'm learning now that even neutered boy dogs go bananas when a female dog is in heat.
There is very little effort to dealing with a female, regardless of coat, when in heat. She really just needs to be protected from males.

· Registered
2,145 Posts
My wonderful 8-year old Golden Duffy is un-neutered. We lost our previous Golden, who was neutered at about 12 weeks, at age 7 from hemangiosarcoma and I believe the early neutering played a role in this.

Last July we were asked by neighbors who have a female Golden if Duffy could provide "stud service". Duffy has never shown the slightest interest in mounting anything so with some skepticism I allowed it. Long story short, instinct took over and a litter of 8 was born in early September. Both sire and dam are AKC registered, but this breeding will be a one-time thing for both of them.

So now we are the proud parents of Duffy's twelve-week old daughter. Obviously, they cannot both remain un-neutered. I will be talking to my vet about this next week, but would welcome any thoughts. It's too early to think about spaying the pup, but I'm afraid the surgery might be too rough on my 8 year old sweetheart boy.
Neuter him. And get insurance on the pup.

· Registered
3 Posts

I have the same situation as you do, but I opted to wait until my female was two years old before a spay her. My male is not neutered for the same reason your mail is not neutered. I’ve already lost three neutered golden retriever males to cancer and I wanted to do something different this time. If you have a family member or place to keep the male while your female is in heat that will solve the problem, or you can try to keep them separated. My female just completed her second heat and it was hell keeping my male away from her, and I really don’t want to go through it again. She is almost 2 years old now and has had time to get the hormone she needs to develop fully so I am going to spay her next month and avoid going through another cycle. I would not neuter an eight-year-old male, and while you could do it, I wouldn’t do it. From what my vet has told me, they recommend spaying the female so that you have no risk of pyometra which is 1 in 4 from what I have read with golden retrievers. If the male has a better chance of not getting one of those hideous cancers if you leave him intact you should. My understanding is that in Europe they do not routinely neuter male dogs.

· Registered
Ramses, golden retriever bred in France 😆
761 Posts
My understanding is that in Europe they do not routinely neuter male dogs.
Yes this is true.. we normally do not. And my boy is not. There was no recommendations from the vet to do so - she specifically discouraged us without us asking. But females are also not always spayed either. I know of some female dogs (labs, Bernese) back in our neighborhood who are not spayed either. Some as old as 3 or 4 years old. I don't know if they are spaying them later. But usually these owners only have female(s).. not a mix of female/male in the household. They usually keep the females at home during their heat. Some do get their females spayed as it's "easier to keep clean" or if the breeder requests. We don't see a lot of stray dogs so I don't know if that makes a difference...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts