Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dad to Riley and Sam
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, at 11 1/2 mos. I decided it's time to get Riley fixed. We took him on Thursday to get done and all went well. When I got home Friday from work, there was a message on the phone from the Vet College reminding me of his appointment with the ophthalmologist scheduled for today. No biggie, just another in and out trip like always. WRONG. After some poking, prodding, and lots of light shining in his eyes, they discovered a stray hair or eyelash inside the upper lid which would grow then fall out and grow again, explaining the sudden flare ups of the redness and eye closure which he would incur every three months or so. He is scheduled in for surgery tomorrow morning to have it removed. Two surgeries in less than a week, my poor little man. And to make matters worse, they called about an hour ago to tell me it looks like his neuter incision looks like it could be getting infected so they are treating that as well. I think I will take a wheelchair to pick him up tomorrow as I suspect I will be cutting off an arm and a leg to give them. Let's hope all goes well for him.:crossfing

·
Registered
292 Posts
Oh no! That is a rough week for sure! Fingers crossed that Riley and you both make it through the rest of this week without too much trouble!

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Poor Riley- it really has been a grueling week!

I lol'd over your wheelchair comment. The sad thing is- it really is an arm and a leg these days for surgery. But- it will be well worth it to have a healthy pup!

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Poor Riley.....hope he feels better real soon.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I think I will take a wheelchair to pick him up tomorrow as I suspect I will be cutting off an arm and a leg to give them. Let's hope all goes well for him.:crossfing
LOL.

Poor guy. What a relief when all this is done and he is healed up. BTW, I had an older Shih Tzu who had the same eyelash/eye problem and she did great with the surgery and was never bothered by this problem again.

·
Dad to Riley and Sam
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Poor Riley- it really has been a grueling week!

I lol'd over your wheelchair comment. The sad thing is- it really is an arm and a leg these days for surgery. But- it will be well worth it to have a healthy pup!
Whatever it takes. The appointment was made back in October so I completely forgot about it. I just finished paying off our vacation in Hawaii we are going on in March. The surgery is only a 10 minute ordeal they tell me but quoted me at ~ $1200.00, not including the extra for taking care of the infection.

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
Wow. poor boy. But at least you have an answer to the eye problem, that's cool!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Poor Riley, wishing you a very speedy recovery. It will all be behind you both soon, and you'll have you're happy healthy boy back.

·
Dad to Riley and Sam
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well we are all home again. The surgery went well. She seen a small pigmentation and also removed that as well as she wasn't quite sure what it was. The last of Rileys drugs are wearing off as his tail is starting to wag as usual. A week of that glamorous cone and some medicine and he will be as good as new.:headbang2

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Awwww, poor guy. I hope he's back to his old self soon.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Poor baby but at least you have found out what was causing his eye problems. It could have caused longterm damage. Now to just get thru this week with him and you can move on. Give him a big hug for being so brave thru 2 surgeries.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts