Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find some information on how to cut Marleys hair. It's really hot here and he is shedding like crazy the white coloured hair on his bum looks a bit straggly so thought about giving him a trim all over. I have never cut a dogs hair before and wondered how easy it would be, or should I just send him to the groomers?

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
Oh no... unlike poodles you generally don't give goldens haircuts. Although we do trim their feet. And of course, there is grooming and trimming done on show dogs. But that is to enhance the coat... not to keep the dog cooler.

We live in Florida. It gets very hot and humid here. We believe that the coat helps protect the dogs from the sun. Frequent brushings should help with the shedding and thin the coat naturally. Luckily we have a swimming pool and the dogs take frequent dips into the pool to keep cool.

·
16,000 Posts
Dogs do not release heat through their skin, but through their feet and by panting. Clipping or shaving them does nothing to keep them cooler, and in fact risks them getting sunburn and heatstroke, as the double coat insulates and protects them against the elements. Additionally, shaving them exposes the undercoat, which is going to shed.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
here's what a groomer called "summer cut"!!!! this happened to a friend's Chow, too.

met a goldie that had a really nice "scissor cut" in the summer, he lives where it's hot/on a lake.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find some information on how to cut Marleys hair. It's really hot here...
May I ask where you live? We live currently in Brazil and it is summer here, but we would never cut our dog's hair. Goldens do not perspire through their bodies. Trimming yes, it helps them keep their paws and ears clean and healthy. Please, please leave your dog's coat intact!
One tip though... you can finely spray some water over his body and face, it will not make him wet but cool him down.

Attachments

·
16,000 Posts
May I ask where you live? We live currently in Brazil and it is summer here, but we would never cut our dog's hair. Goldens do not perspire through their bodies. Trimming yes, it helps them keep their paws and ears clean and healthy. Please, please leave your dog's coat intact!
One tip though... you can finely spray some water over his body and face, it will not make him wet but cool him down.
When showing in hot weather, a similar trick to cool dogs down is to use a spray bottle and mist the groin area - because of the large femoral arteries, it helps cool them quickly. Also, having them stand on a cold, damp towel.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok maybe I worded this wrong, I didn't want ot give him a 'haircut' I just wanted to trim up some of the straggly end around his bum and 'boy part' area and also in between his toes. As he is my first dog I have no idea how to go about this, and had read somewhere that keeping his feet and groin area would help in the summer months. I had no intentions of giving him a mohican or anything!!

·
I <3 Goldens
487 Posts
hehe its happens marleys mom. We read your first post for face value, hehe. Basically you want to keep the shape of the golden which is full gorwn coat. But by taking a pair of clippers you can neatly dress up the paws and the hair behind the ears a little. That golden up top looked funny,hehe.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Sure you can trim a golden up. I have with both mine and we live in freezing MN. I just had Tucker to the groomers last week and told her to give him a nice short cut. We didn't take any thick hair off but I had all his long belly hair cut down short and all his guard hairs and butt hairs cut down real short. She cut his big chest hair really nicely and now his collar actually moves on his neck! He seems to like it too. He can still lay outside in the cold with no problems. We didn't take any of the "layers" off his abdomen as they need that to regulate hot/cold. Dogs can't sweat. I just did a lot of the outside stuff and long hairs to keep from dragging snow in and it's cut down the shedding a lot too. I don't have any pictures but it turned out nice. He doesn't look as porky either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts