Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Is it normal for Baxter to still be biting when he gets excited? He's not doing it out of aggression but more of a playful thing. My kids and people who come over the house are put off my it and I don't blame them, sometimes it really hurts. If he gets too crazy I just walk away from him or ignore him and this works but it's more difficult to deal with him doing it to other people. I can hold him back by his collar but he is getting so big this won't work for much longer? What can I do? We have always tried to stop this behavior and I thought eventually he would grow out of it. :(

Question # 2
When do you go from feeding 3 times a day to 2 times?

Thanks!
~Aileen

·
Premium Member
16,403 Posts
We switch from 3 to 2X per day at 6 months. 5 months old is definitely still in the bitey-boundaries testing age. It is so much fun to see people and greet them as if they are friendly dogs! He will get it pretty soon. Alternative behavoirs are always helpful. At about Baxter's age, we taught Tally and Tango to sit whenever they greet someone, using a clicker at first and lots of treats,so now it is automatic. They sit. If you focus on a nice sit or a nice down, the bitey face will be less of an issue.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We switched to feeding 2x a day two weeks ago, when Lily was 5.5 months on the advice of our vet.

As for biting, Lily is pretty mouthy as well... but we do the same as the previous poster mentioned: teach her to sit when she meets someone and try and keep her mouth occupied with balls and toys.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I switched Bama over around 5-6 months to twice a day. The biting is normal just keep putting toys in his mouth when someone comes over so he is biting the toy instead of hands and also make him sit. Good luck it will get better.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I agree with the others on switching to feeding two times per day at 5-6 months. As for the biting 5 months is still pretty darned bitey stage. My Caue still tastes just about every person he meets although I must admit I don't work very hard at correcting it as he is very soft mouthed. I do try to warn people that make eye contact with him that they may get slobbered on. :p:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maggie still bites my hands at 6 months. I tried spraying Bitter Apple on them and that stopped her for one night. Now I just find a toy to put in her mouth. Hopefully she'll grow out of it in the next few months.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Have you done obedience classes?

What we did when guests come was to have the dog on leash and then correct when jumping, biting any negative behavior occurred. Praise for correct behavior but keep it low excitement. At that age they get over excited easily. Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts