Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Kirsten and Whiskey
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since being a puppy, Whiskey has never pooped in his cage and only wet it less then a handfull of times. I had never divided his cage, always left it full size with a blanket and toy. (it is a 42" crate)
In the last 2 weeks, he has pooped in his cage at least 5 times over the night. And can't figure out why. I make sure that he has a bowel movement before going to bed (around 11:30pm) and he is usually out of his cage in the morning by 8am at the latest. He gets his last feeding at 7:15 at night. As I clean out his cage this morning, I plan on going to the basement to pull out the crate divider. He is very clean in the house, never an accident unless he is sick.
He has had no food changes in over 2 months.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Much more and I am going to strangle him!!!!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Can you feed him earlier in the evening? Eating that late in the evening might be part of the problem. Use the crate divider too will help.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
I was going to suggest using a crate divider as well, or at least a large box or one of those big rubbermaid bins to make the crate much smaller. If they have too much room, they will use half of it for doing their business and the other half for sleeping... if they have just enough for sleeping, they won't do their business and your problem should be solved :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
I was also going to suggest feeding him a bit earlier. We feed Duffy (11 weeks) at 9 AM, 1 PM, and 6 PM. We also take up the water bowl around 8. He goes outside for the last time around 10PM and in his crate right after.

Kris

·
Kirsten and Whiskey
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the suggestions. His last feeding is gonna be 6pm for a while and I plan to put the divider in tonight. I just can't figure out why he started this now at 8 months...

·
Kirsten and Whiskey
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am thinking that it is maybe the food? Maybe a tainted bag? I am feeding both dogs the Natural Balance Premium and both are sick. I have had no luck with the expensive brands...so I guess I will try something new.
This has got to stop though.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
If he has not done this before and has just suddenly started it, I would be concerned that something is wrong. Is it a normal, hard poop or soft, even diarrhea-like?

If both dogs are feeling ill, it could be the food or they both could have picked up some sort of parasite or illness.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
if he's 8 months old, wouldn't dividing a 42" crate make it too small? Taz, my female golden was in a 48" crate and it was the perfect size.
i would worry about the food also, if both dogs are sick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts