Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was told to post this here (as I already have at petfinder) by a member and maybe find some help. Thank you for reading!!

This is a cry to anyone who can help. My family pulled a Golden Retriever from Delaware County Dog Warden on Friday. He was an absolute hot mess when we picked him up. The do not take their dogs to vets there so when we picked him up it was obvious something was wrong with his foot, he was underweight and had not been neutered. After we got him home it took us an hour of scrubbing and an entire bottle of shampoo to make him into the beautiful dog he is. This dog made his way into our family and our hearts. He loves our dogs, cat and most inspiring, our children. In turn our family has fallen in love with him but it hard to say whether this is going to be a happy ending.
When I dropped him off with our vet this morning I had planned on just letting them make a day of him. They knew the situation and agree to just keep him all day to get a good work up on him. They immediately noticed his foot which she was very upfront. This was no "infection" as we had been told but a tumor out of control. She wouldn't know how bad it was until she did some x-rays and they would make sure he was overall healthy. By 10am we knew this was going to be a long day. Turns out Rusty (his new name) has been several neglected. He has a severe ear infection, skin infection, tooth/gum infection, pee pee (sorry can't think of a better word) infection and an enlarged prostate. He was in a lot of pain and will be on a lot of antibiotics for awhile to try and clear these things up. These are also the most frustrating because it's clearly due to neglect. The worse part comes with the tumor. He has in addition to the one on his foot he had one on his chest as well. Of course we told them to do whatever they could for him and do the surgery to clean/pull his teeth and infection, neuter him to hopefully help the prostate and remove the two tumors. The first two went well but when the vet went into the tumor on the foot it was completely black and attached to the bone. She called to let me know the best choice (if there was one) was to amputate the toe which is a balance toe and will cause a limp for the rest of the life but he will live. The problem is it looks like it maybe melanoma (sp?) and they would have to wait for the biopsies to get an idea of what we were dealing with. We also needed to see what the lump on his chest was. Well after a long day and four hours plus of surgery the news isn't great as the one on the chest didn't look good either.
Now the good news is that he has a chance as with cancer the best thing to do is get them out and we have done that. We have done everything we can do as a family to help Rusty but now we need some help and I am not sure how or where to ask. We didn't realize on Friday that rescuing Rusty meant a $1200-1300 vet bill. This is the current amount and he will need follow-ups and dressing changes from his amputation. We are willing to go as far as we need to in order to save Rusty's life but financially we may not be able to handle it. I am truly caught between a huge moral dilemma as if this was one of my other two dogs I would tell them to save their life regardless of anything but Rusty has been our dog for 3 days and I would have never guess our current situation. What am I supposed to do? Does anyone know where I may be able to find help or advice? Someone please just tell me I am not crazy for just spending all this money on a new dog and one that may in the end not survive but I don't want to say I didn't do everything possible to stop that. It's not fair that he had to be put through all this because a family just couldn't do the right thing.

***UPDATE*** I just received a call from the vet office and Rusty has awakened from the anesthesia and is resting comfortably. He is all bundled in blankets and two of the veterinarians will be stopping by later this evening to give him some more pain meds to make sure he is comfortable all night. This is the best we can hope for now.

***VET INFO*** Guess I didn't think to add this, it's be such a long day. Rusty is at Indian Creek Veterinary Hospital. Thier number is 614-861-1700 if anyone is interested in helping him or even just getting updates on him. Any thoughts or prayers will be very helpful to him.

***Another UPDATE 01/19/10*** Just talked with the vet this morning and Rusty is doing really good for all he has been through. He hasn't even tried to mess with the bandages. Such a good boy. He is trying to bear weight on the foot that was partially amputated and he seems to be doing well with the pain meds. We will hear back early next week in regards to the biopsies and just hope for the best. If Rusty does well today he should be able to come home tonight and follow up every fews days with the vet for monitoring the incisions. YEAH!!

***Another UPDATE 01/19/10 2:10pm*** RUSTY IS COMING HOME TODAY!!! He has been doing so well there they think he will be fine coming home under close supervision so I will be picking him up about 5pm today! They have discovered he does have tape worms and have treated him for that are are also giving him a large spectrum dewormer to make sure he doesn't have any others. I can't thank everyone enough for their help and encouragement for him. I can only say thank you from the bottom of our hearts in helping us save Rusty. He is truly and inspiration and should be a reminder to all people to give and extra hug to their animals tonight. :) I will try and post some new pictures of him tonight so everyone can see how he is doing.

***UPDATE 01/19/10 6:53pm*** Well we have finally made it home and wow is all I can say!!! Rusty just looks amazing. My vets are just absolutely wonderful! He is acting like he has nothing wrong with him and trying to bounce around like a puppy! He definately has a long road ahead of him but I have no doubts that we made the right decision. My 16 month old daughter was soooo excited to see him walk through the door she just giggled and giggled. He is a happy boy. I will post some pre-op pictures of him hopefully later on tonight. Thank you thank you thank to everyone. Donations are still being accpeted at my vets office and although his road maybe long, he will have the best support system to follow him through! Wish him luck on his follow-up on Friday and pray for best results on the biopsies!!! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Hi all, I sent Holly over here from Petfinder because I know that there is a ton of Golden Retriever knowledge here and she needs all the information she can get. I hope you can help her out!

Rusty was extremely lucky to have found someone who has gone as far as Holly has so far. A lot of people wouldn't have paid that kind of money for a pound puppy.

·
she'll always be the one
2,452 Posts
Bless you for helping Rusty and bringing him into your family. Only you know your financial situation, but you sound like the kind of person who could not live with yourself without knowing that you have tried everything. Rusty will return to you more than it will cost you, but then you know that too. You are not crazy, you are the kind of human I wish all humans were, loving and kind. Good wishes for Rusty that all the tumors are gone and not cancerous. That boy is going to need lots of TLC and spoiling!

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
Can we make payments to your vet's office?

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I wonder if Delaware Valley Golden Retriever Rescue can give you some advice. I'm sure they cannot help out financially, but maybe they can advise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have no idea if my vet will but I am sure. He is at Indian Creek Veterinary Hospital. Their phone number is 614-861-1700. I will be checking on him first thing in the morning (8am EST) and I can let them know people want to help him and that if anyone wants updates on him, they are welcome to share. I hope everyone can just pray for him or think wonderful thoughts for him. OMG I am not sure what to say but THANK YOU. Just....THANK YOU!

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
Praying for your boy, I will make a donation in the morning. Have you checked into the Amanda Foundation? Also check the Gold Stock Fund.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My heart is aching for Rusty. Thank heavens he made his way in to the life of such a wonderful person/family such as yourselves. No, no, no you are not crazy!! I too will call tomorrow and see if I can donate. Maybe we could set up a way to make a paypal donation??
Prayers that he gets well and lives a long & happy life!!

·
3 goldens
12,182 Posts
i AM GOING TO GOOGLE AND SEE IF i CAN GET AN ADDRESS TO MAIL A CHECK. i AM NOT PARTIAL TO PAYING OVER THE NET.

BLESS YOU FOR TAKING THATBEAUTIFUL BOY. HE LOOKS VERY MUCH LIKE OUR FIRST GOLDEN, SCOOTER, LOST TO HEART ATTACK AT AGE 5 YRS. 2 MONTHS. MY HEART GAVED A JERK WHEN I LOOKED AT YOUR GUY.

WE ADOPTED OUR HONEY DEC. 7, 2002 AND FOUND OUT SHE HAD HEARTWORMS AND ENDED UP PAYING OUT OVER $400 A MONTH LATER. tHEN 9 MONTHS LATER OUR GOLDEN BOY, hUNTER (IN MY AVATAR) GOT A PROHEART6 INJECTION WHICH BROUGHT ON AUTOIMMUNE HEMOLYTIC ANEMIA AND LIVER DAMAGE. A WEEK IN ICU, TWO TRANSFUSIONS, X-RAY, ULTRASOUNDS, TONS OF MEDS, HE DIED AND LEFT US WITL BILL OF $2300. BUT WE LOVE THIS DOGS SO MUCH WE GO AS FFAR AS WE CAN FOR THEM.

BLESS YOU FOR TAKING IN THIS BOY AND GIVING HIM A CHANCE. IN THE LONG RUN YOU WILLNEVER REGRET KNOWING YOU GAVE HIM A CHANCE, YOU GAVE HIM HAPPINESS, LOVE AND ATTENTION AND THE BEST VCARE POSSIBLE.

·
3 goldens
12,182 Posts
oKAY, i FOUND ADDRESS AND WILL BE SENDING IN A SMALL DONATION TO HELP OUT A L;ITTLE. wE LIVED IN aKRON FOR 7 YEARS AND i DON'T THINK i EVER HEARD OF rEYNOLDSBURG.

·
Premium Member
18,635 Posts
Bless you, bless you for taking this boy and giving him every chance.

You might look at www.imom.com to see if they can help financially.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Bless you for all you are doing for Rusty! He was lucky to find you :)

I will say this. I know any Vet Bill is hard, but if you are getting all of this for $1300, I want to move where your Vet is :)

Anywhere around here, that would have been an easy $5000 vet bill.

I was told to post this here (as I already have at petfinder) by a member and maybe find some help. Thank you for reading!!

This is a cry to anyone who can help. My family pulled a Golden Retriever from Delaware County Dog Warden on Friday. He was an absolute hot mess when we picked him up. The do not take their dogs to vets there so when we picked him up it was obvious something was wrong with his foot, he was underweight and had not been neutered. After we got him home it took us an hour of scrubbing and an entire bottle of shampoo to make him into the beautiful dog he is. This dog made his way into our family and our hearts. He loves our dogs, cat and most inspiring, our children. In turn our family has fallen in love with him but it hard to say whether this is going to be a happy ending.
When I dropped him off with our vet this morning I had planned on just letting them make a day of him. They knew the situation and agree to just keep him all day to get a good work up on him. They immediately noticed his foot which she was very upfront. This was no "infection" as we had been told but a tumor out of control. She wouldn't know how bad it was until she did some x-rays and they would make sure he was overall healthy. By 10am we knew this was going to be a long day. Turns out Rusty (his new name) has been several neglected. He has a severe ear infection, skin infection, tooth/gum infection, pee pee (sorry can't think of a better word) infection and an enlarged prostate. He was in a lot of pain and will be on a lot of antibiotics for awhile to try and clear these things up. These are also the most frustrating because it's clearly due to neglect. The worse part comes with the tumor. He has in addition to the one on his foot he had one on his chest as well. Of course we told them to do whatever they could for him and do the surgery to clean/pull his teeth and infection, neuter him to hopefully help the prostate and remove the two tumors. The first two went well but when the vet went into the tumor on the foot it was completely black and attached to the bone. She called to let me know the best choice (if there was one) was to amputate the toe which is a balance toe and will cause a limp for the rest of the life but he will live. The problem is it looks like it maybe melanoma (sp?) and they would have to wait for the biopsies to get an idea of what we were dealing with. We also needed to see what the lump on his chest was. Well after a long day and four hours plus of surgery the news isn't great as the one on the chest didn't look good either.
Now the good news is that he has a chance as with cancer the best thing to do is get them out and we have done that. We have done everything we can do as a family to help Rusty but now we need some help and I am not sure how or where to ask. We didn't realize on Friday that rescuing Rusty meant a $1200-1300 vet bill. This is the current amount and he will need follow-ups and dressing changes from his amputation. We are willing to go as far as we need to in order to save Rusty's life but financially we may not be able to handle it. I am truly caught between a huge moral dilemma as if this was one of my other two dogs I would tell them to save their life regardless of anything but Rusty has been our dog for 3 days and I would have never guess our current situation. What am I supposed to do? Does anyone know where I may be able to find help or advice? Someone please just tell me I am not crazy for just spending all this money on a new dog and one that may in the end not survive but I don't want to say I didn't do everything possible to stop that. It's not fair that he had to be put through all this because a family just couldn't do the right thing.

***UPDATE*** I just received a call from the vet office and Rusty has awakened from the anesthesia and is resting comfortably. He is all bundled in blankets and two of the veterinarians will be stopping by later this evening to give him some more pain meds to make sure he is comfortable all night. This is the best we can hope for now.

***VET INFO*** Guess I didn't think to add this, it's be such a long day. Rusty is at Indian Creek Veterinary Hospital. Thier number is 614-861-1700 if anyone is interested in helping him or even just getting updates on him. Any thoughts or prayers will be very helpful to him.

***Another UPDATE 01/19/10*** Just talked with the vet this morning and Rusty is doing really good for all he has been through. He hasn't even tried to mess with the bandages. Such a good boy. He is trying to bear weight on the foot that was partially amputated and he seems to be doing well with the pain meds. We will hear back early next week in regards to the biopsies and just hope for the best. If Rusty does well today he should be able to come home tonight and follow up every fews days with the vet for monitoring the incisions. YEAH!!

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
I just talked with the vet's office. What a wonderful place!! Rusty is doing well, but REALLY wants out of his cage. She gave him a big kiss from me. Hope he gets to home home today with his new Mom and Dad. Rusty, the good life is just beginning !!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update on Rusty

***Rusty UPDATE*** I can not say thank you enough for what everyone has done and it must be working. Rusty is truly a trooper through all this. If anyone could see him, it's like nothing has happened. He wants his treats, loves to play tug-a-war with the rope (although we keep telling him to calm down) it's like he's a 5 month old puppy!! I am sooo amazed at what the vet's office (who is amazing BTW) and everyone's prayer's have done. He are some current pictures. Although he maybe stitch from head to toe (literally)...He is doing wonderful. We are still waiting to hear back from the vets office on the biopsies but his first full day home has been great. He takes his meds, plays with the kids and has peeing contests with the other dogs! Who knew dogs could hold in so much pee?? lol. Anyway, our family cannot thank everyone enough and hopefully the visit to the vet on Friday leads to some happy news!!!! Keep praying!!! :)

Attachments

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
He is just beautiful !! Please keep the pics coming, we love them !!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
He is gorgeous. We will pray for good news from the vet.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts