Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Our puppy Reggie is almost 4 months old and overall he is a GREAT puppy. We have two young children and he learned very early to be gentle with them. Training is going very well and I work with him daily. The only issue I'm seeing is that he can't relax outside of his crate. I work from home and try to spend plenty of time with him throughout the day. However, I can have him out for an hour or more and he is constantly roaming around and playing. As soon as I have him kennel up, he crashes. I do have a puppy bed in my office and encourage him to lay on it, but it doesn't last. Is this normal or is there something else I should be doing? I know he's a pup and has lots of energy, I just want to make sure I'm doing my best for him!

Second question - Reggie doesn't eat a ton. He's strong and healthy and the vet isn't worried about his weight at all. I still feel like he should be excited to empty his food bowl in the morning. Is it time to switch to two feedings a day? Is it possible that he just doesn't like his food? Thoughts?

·
Riley
1,023 Posts
My girl didn't relax outside her kennel until she was about 6 months old, regardless of how much exercise she got. She was just a restless puppy. Even now, she has a hard time settling occasionally. It came with time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My pup is 11 months old and even now occasionally has trouble settling, especially when we are at a friend's house or elsewhere (aka outside our own home). I think it's just a puppy thing... for us at least!

·
Murphy's Human, Kam
1,116 Posts
Puppies are like little energizer bunnies it seems. When I worked from home, I just Rosco roam and around play with toys. Left crate door open and sometimes he'd go crash in it or just lie down wherever he stopped playing. I did learn to work with the door closed to my office until he was fully house trained but at 4mths, you may be okay letting him roam.

As for food, depends on how much you're feeding and how often. One I transitioned to two feedings/day at 5 mths, the other was on two feedings per day by breeder so I just left as-is.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I also work from home and have longingly waited for Comet to fall fast asleep in my office. Like your Reggie, he's a champ at crashing in his crate when I give him mandatory nap time. He also does really well taking a nap in my kitchen. I've waited and waited and waited. Most days he sniffs around (makes me worry he's going to have an accident), runs about, throws his toys into the air, zooms around, takes paper out of my trash bin, etc. The idealized quiet moments of me working while Comet lay fast asleep just didn't happen... but I haven't given up. I've been trying for months. I end up getting no work done and instead find myself playing with him on the floor. But FINALLY today for the first time he fell fast asleep! He turned 6 months old last Thursday... so maybe 6 months is the magic time. There's hope for Reggie yet. Keep trying!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good job Comet! OK, I feel way better already. Sounds like Reggie is right on track. I love my little buddy but definitely don't get much work done when he's hanging with me!

·
Sheila 91-99; Haley 01-12
1,301 Posts
It is possible that Reggie really doesn't like his food. My pup devours one type of food, but he has to be bribed to eat another one. Try getting a few different brands and offer him several bowls, each containing a different food. He'll choose the one he likes. You could search the forum for food suggestions.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Is Reggie always indifferent about his food? Is he motivated by treats? Some dogs aren't as food motivated as others. If he loves treats and not his food, maybe he doesn't like it? You could try buying a small bag of something else and using the kibble as a training treat to see if he likes something else instead.

Comet went through random days where he left his food in his food bowl and didn't eat much but other days I felt like he was starving. I often wondered if it corresponded to growth spurts and lulls in his growth. He LOVES his food now that he gets it out of his Bob-a-Lot. Now that meal time is a game he has a whole new appreciation for every individual kibble. That said, he seems to love all food these days and spend countless moments attempting to counter surf.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Leslieb187, I just wanted to give a quick update and let you know that Comet is on day 3 of taking a nap in my office as I work. I don't want to get too excited but I do feel like we've turned a corner here. So hopefully you're days of working while Reggie sleeps aren't too far off. Fingers crossed for you! Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Loukia - that's awesome! I hope one of these days that will happen for us. I have to remember he is very much a puppy still, even though he is HUGE compared to when we brought him home :) I appreciate the update! Also, he's definitely motivated by treats. I think he probably is not in love with his food. He's healthy and growing well, so I'll start to phase out what we have and try something new. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts