Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Beginning with the last picture …

Three years ago today, May 5 2005 --- this was the last photo that I took of Opus on the last day of her life. It really doesn’t show how sick she was… but that’s a good thing. I much prefer to remember all the joy that she brought into our lives.

She has been on my mind and today I’d like to share my photos and some stories to celebrate her life. So, throughout the day I will continue to add more photos and some stories to this thread.

Attachments

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Love me love my dog.

Opus was a people dog. Other dogs never much interested her. An encounter with a barn cat when she was just a young pup left her with a healthy respect for all cats. And she found young children a little scary too. But of all the people she knew, Jeff was her man.

If you wanted to find Opus you only needed to find Jeff… she was never far away. She adored Jeff. When he went to work – he took the Opus. When we went camping – Opus went with us. When he ran errands – she would go along for the ride. And if he went for a walk or a bike ride – she was by his side every step of the way. And when we were invited to dinner our friends expected Opus too.

Attachments

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some of our friends thought that Jeff and Opus began to resemble each other like an old married couple,. Well, it’s not true. Opus was much prettier.

Attachments

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Barking

She was a very quiet dog. On the average she woofed 3-4 times a year. Jeff and I had been dating about two months when were out walking one evening and we came to a children’s playground. All was fine until Jeff and I got on the swings and started flying through the air. Opus had never seen Jeff fly before. She decided this was unnatural and she didn’t like it one bit. For the first time I heard Opus let out a single loud bark. The moment we stopped her tail began wagging like mad. I suppose that all was right with the world once again.

Her preferred method of communication seemed to be telepathy. And she had mastered this quite well. You could be reading, watching television, working at the computer and you would get this sense that Opus wanted something. You would look up and sure enough she would be standing behind you and staring at you. And without a sound she would let you know that she needed fresh water, or wanted a cookie or some playtime, or needed to go out.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
What a beautiful old golden girl she was, and loved reading your delightful and loving tribute to an amazing dog called Opus.Thankyou for sharing.

·
Registered
16,394 Posts
Opus kept her color right on the bridge of her muzzle, and the rest of her face was that noble grey white I can't resist in goldens. I love the old timer's best. I'm a senior gold person even more than a puppy perspn, and I love to look at pictures of Opus.

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Puppy Days

Like all puppies she started small and quickly grew into a big dog. We have only a few photos from her Puppy days. Standing on the deck surveying her kingdom when she first came to live with Jeff in Pennsylvania, little Miss Opus was only 8 weeks old. . Bounding through the grass with her ears flying. And finally here she is sitting and waiting so patiently, staring up with those big eyes that we grew to love.

Attachments

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drivin’ Miss Opus

If she noticed the doors to the truck were open Opus would climb in and wait to go. Destination didn’t matter, she was ready.

When the two went on errands she claimed the passenger seat as her own. People would always laugh when they pulled beside the convertible they had been following and discover that the ‘hot blond’ was actually a dog.

When it was the 3 of us, Opus would sit in the rear seat with her nose out the side window. When you are sitting in the passenger seat and in the mirror you see your dog’s nose poking out the back window with that look of satisfaction as they catch the wind…it’s just too funny. Opus liked closing her eyes and letting her upper lip flap in the wind.

And if you didn’t see her reflection in the mirror, then Opus would be resting her head between the driver and passenger seats with her nose at your elbow. Which reminds me… on a long road trip she didn’t rely on telepathy… being nudged with a wet nose in the driver’s armpit was the signal that it was time for a rest stop.

And of course, anytime we left her alone in the car or truck we would always return and find Opus sitting in the driver’s seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
What a gorgeous old girl. You must have a treasure trove of memories.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing these photos and stories with us Chris. I never get tired of hearing about this beautiful girl. I remember a photo of Opus and an older woman maybe Jeff's mother. That's one of my favorites.

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great but simple joys of life

Anytime Jeff would sit or lie down Opus would snuggle up and wait. She knew it was only a matter of time before she would be getting a belly rub and an ear scratch.

Attachments

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks so much for sharing these photos and stories with us Chris. I never get tired of hearing about this beautiful girl. I remember a photo of Opus and an older woman maybe Jeff's mother. That's one of my favorites.

Older woman? That might be me!!!! Or maybe Jeff's mom... I don't seem to have that in my files.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
This is a loving and great tribute to Opus. She sounds so much like Beau. He has that same telepathy power. These are great pictures and stories that you have shared. I cracked up seeing the picture where their heads are traded and the one of her sticking her head thru the sliding rear window.

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 158 Posts