Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, new to the forums. We have a new puppy, his name is Riggz. He is currently 16 weeks old and weighs about 30lbs. We bought him from a breeder who has English Golden Retrievers. I know, English is a sort of a misnomer but all of his ancestry does come from Poland and Romania. His mother was born in the U.S. and daddy is straight from Poland. He is a nice looking pup and we have high hopes that he will be a great companion dog. Yes I know, we will get pic's posted soon.

Last week Riggz started to develop loose stools just out of the blue. We feed Pro Plan LB puppy and for the first month, he did really well. Poops were tootsie rolls and well formed. Last week his stools started to look like pudding, I called them "Dairy Queen" swirls. It has suddenly changed over the weekend and real diarrhea has set in. He is eating like a horse and drinks plenty of water. A little lethargic but not enough to alarm us. He is discovering the world with his mouth so we dont know if he ate something bad or not. He's a normal retriever, everything goes in the mouth!

Last night he woke us up in the middle of the night and had to go ... NOW! This is the first time he has not been able to hold it overnight since we got him. The stool was extremely loose and mostly watery. As this was a major concern for us, we took him to the vet this morning.

The Vet examined Riggz this morning and his physical condition was good. She was very pleased with his size, weight and vitals. The Vet gave us a prescription for Metronidazole @ 250mg 2x p/day for 7 days. I believe this is the same as Flagyl? Weeks ago, we gave fecal samples for testing and all came back negative. As of today, he has had all of his puppy shots, DHPP and Rabies vac's. I asked the vet to do another fecal test this morning to see if they could determine anything missed on the first one. We should know the results tomorrow.

I guess my question here is that I'm not familiar with treating the diarrhea symptoms with metronidazole. After searching through posts here, it seems that this medication is a "stab in the dark" solution for GI problems and diarrhea?

For those of you that have any experience with this medication, a brief positive/negative narative would help us understand what to expect. We may consider a food change if this diagnosis and treatment does not work but not until the medication has run its course. However, we are hopeful that it will help.

Thanks in advance for any input and great forums. :)

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
It sounds like she suspects giardia, and this would be the appropriate treatment for that, as well as being good for general intestinal upset.

http://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/monographs/metronidazole.asp

It is a good and effective treatment for his symptoms, although given his age, my first thought would have been coccidia. If the metro does not help, or his symptoms continue, I would suspect coccidia. Coccidia is fairly common in puppies and the treatment does not destroy the parasite but rather pushes it down so that the puppy's immune system can handle it. It can then resurface during times of stress-rehoming, shots, surgery, boarding, etc.-although it does not always do that.

Unfortunately, both coccidia and giardia are known to be difficult to diagnose based on fecal tests. Most vets will treat for them based on symptoms.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I agree with Tahnee. I think it is something most puppies go thru it. Right now, I would not do any switching of food until this is taken care of. It has really worked for mine when they had loose stools. Good luck!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update ...

The fecal tests came back negative for either giardia or coccidia and again, no worms. The vet feels that this is a general tummy upset and possible unknown bacteria in the bowels thats why the metronidazole was prescribed.

After 3 pills taken since yesterday morning, his stools have almost returned to normal. His energy is back up to where we expect it should be. So far, the medication seems to be performing its task and we hope this continues. After he has had the complete course of medication, I will update again on his condition. Thanks to those who have posted.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank was on Flagyl when he was 6 weeks due to a bout with diarrhea. It started out like pudding and progressed overnight to brown water. The vet couldn't pin point the actual problem. The Flagly cleared whatever it was up, he's been fine ever since. He 6 mos. (tomorrow).

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Glad that he is doing better. It always worries me when puppies get sick.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
It may be partly the food, I find dogs on some foods will have more issues than others. My guys on raw seem to almost never have issues, but I have had dogs who did better on different foods - food for thought.

Also, if your pup (or anyone's pup/dog) isn't 100% well, it's a good idea to wait to do their shots. Yes, it means a second trip to the vet and more money sometimes, but it's not as good to stress their system when they're already fighting off something. I know some vets won't do it, but a lot of vets will do vaccines on a sick or injured dog, which is risky (there is a greater chance of a reaction).

That being said, glad he's doing better and we need pictures!

Lana

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As another update ... the metronidazole failed.

After the full course of metronidazole, one day later, Riggz has full blown diarrhea again. A phone call to the vet and they prescribed Panacur C. Yesterday at his lunch, he got his prescribed packets of powder that he will have to take for 6 days. Last night, no change. We were up all night every couple of hours taking him out. All episodes were runny mush.

I dont know what to do. I dont understand why the vet cannot treat the cause instead of the symptoms. We have done several fecal tests and nothing comes up, all is negative. Is the lab incompetent? Why cant they resolve this problem? Should I find a different Vet for diagnosis?

Riggz continues to eat like a horse and drink plenty of water. This morning with his breakfast I gave him a spoonfull of pumpkin with his food. He chows it right down. We are at a loss and would appreciate anything anyone here can tell us. Riggz is 4 mos old and weighs about 32 lbs.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Giardia and coccidia are very difficult to diagnose with fecals, so most vets will treat based on symptoms-smelly diarrhea, that can sometimes come and go. The metro would have treated giardia as well as many other conditions. The Panacur should get any worms and coccidia.

Did the metro work while he was on it? If so, that may help narrow the problem down somewhat.

Honestly, if the Panacur does not work, I am not sure what to think. Since the metro did work, I would not suspect the food. Maybe IBD or a problem with digesting food. I had a Belgian Tervuren with a similar problem and we discovered he lacked the ability to digest his food, particularly the fat in it. He was put on a special enzyme to pre-digest his food and was fine.

What kind of water do you have? Have you tried bottled-it might be worth a shot. My guys get bottled water, not because they get diarrhea but because I have nitrates in my water and I don't trust my water system to get them all out.

If the Panacur does not work in a few days, I would definitely call the vet and see what he/she thinks. If your vet is stumped, it might be time to visit a specialty clinic or a University.

What does the breeder say? Have any of the other pups had these problems?

The metro is an antiobiotic-is your pup on a probiotic? A good one, like Purina Forti-Flora, for example. Antiobiotics can destroy the good flora in the gut as well as the bad, and that can cause problems. Whenever one of my guys is on doxy for Lyme disease, I always add a Forti-Flora to their diet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did the metro work while he was on it?
Yes, the metro produced normal poops again within the first 24 hrs.

The metro is an antiobiotic-is your pup on a probiotic? A good one, like Purina Forti-Flora, for example. Antiobiotics can destroy the good flora in the gut as well as the bad, and that can cause problems.
No, he is not on any probiotics. Can we give him this while on the Panacur?

When we first brought him home, his stools were fine and he had no problems for the first month. Then all of a sudden, pudding poop and then diarrhea. This whole thing is very troublesome for us. I have had many dogs in the last 50 yrs but nothing like this before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts