Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

What is the color of your golden?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fond of Goldens, as i have one- cream colored. I love diversities, so i fancy the idea of having another Golden in the future, and hopefully a mahogany colored.

However i was disappointed when i learned that generally, the acceptable color of Goldens should only be any shade of cream or gold, and red and mahogany are less favored by breeders and in the show ring.

my question is why? arent they as lovely as their cream or golden counterparts? if the issue is just because they are Goldens they are supposed to be gold then why did they name this breed goldens when in fact they could come in other colors?

to mahogany colored golden owners here can you please share with us some stories about your dogs? how do they differ from the usual cream or golden lustrous? have they experienced any "racial discrimination"? ( sorry for the term i feel like its really discrimnation). i hope they can be seen in show rings too, and would be treated the same way creams are treated.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Cody is kind of inbetween a gold and red colour. He isn't either or actualy.
His mother was very red and his father was very blond so he has both of best worlds.
I get only good compliments on him all the time.
I personaly prefer the golden light colourd ones, but if he turned out to be red like his mom is I would still love him all the same.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
I have a red whose color is so deep it looks mahogony. He is not a show dog but competes in agility, obedience and field.

The only discrimination I have ever seen is people admiring hs beauty!! In his younger days I don't think it would have been possible to have a glossier coat - deep red, moderate to long length shimmery coat - and he has one of those incredible tails to finish it off.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but it seems the red dogs are primarily the field lines. There are lighter goldens in the field, but the prominant lines in the field are dark. It doesn't mean that the red dogs are not good, however the field dogs are built lighter and with less hair than their counterparts in the breed ring.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
You won't catch me discriminating against any of them. I love them all from almost pure white to rich mahogany red. You might find the rich red ones are a higher in energy than the others because the field goldens are more likely to be the red dawgs.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Quiz is a dark red and has quite a bit of field behind him.

He's often mistaken for an Irish Setter puppy.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
I have had four reddish goldens and one blonde (my current girl, Tia). All were rescues, so I have no idea of their background or breeding. All were/are fabulous dogs.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I have a medium gold and a red one. I love their colors equally..

I must say though that even though my lighter dog has all the long coat, etc, its the red one that gets all the "beautiful coat" comments. I think very much like human hair, blonde hair doesn't tend to have the shine that redheads and brunettes have. My redhead dog is very shiny and silky soft. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow those were quick ones! thank you for responding...:) Irish setters are lovely but i doubt if it can survive the tropical climate of my country.

to those shades of mahogany golden owners, please reproduce your babies more! :)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Buzz is light golden and Clover is light red. Not sure which box to check!!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I have a medium gold and a red one. I love their colors equally..

I must say though that even though my lighter dog has all the long coat, etc, its the red one that gets all the "beautiful coat" comments. I think very much like human hair, blonde hair doesn't tend to have the shine that redheads and brunettes have. My redhead dog is very shiny and silky soft. :)

Wow, Dillon is awesome!! Love the shine in his coat.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I had a preferance of color when I first came to the forum but shortly after joining and seeing all the different shades....they are all so beautiful and all equal in my eyes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
for those who have more than one, you may actually click more than one opetion, even three if applicable:).

Nice photos, especially the lil girl and the dog, so adorable:). :wavey:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Mac is cream right now, but look at those dark ears; she is getting darker along her back and she's going to be a darker gold; I think all shades of gold are pretty, and that includes the redheads!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I voted for all three, as I have one of each!:) I can't say I have a favorite color....I really love them all!;)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Tailer is a Red Head. He was a rich golden color as a pup, but followed his dad...Rusty Max V. I had thought I was interested in a more blond pup, but I am in Love with Wet Red Heads!

I did not know there were Conformation and Field types...Field lines tend to be more slender, higher energy and red. :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 70 Posts