Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Jester & Piper's Mom
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steve's concert poster thread got me all nostalgic last night. I dug out a shoebox in which I have saved ticket stubs from every concert that I have attended. As I was going through them I came across these two very small ticket stubs. My heart skipped a beat when I saw them and my eyes welled up with tears.

I had been to the observation deck at the World Trade Center twice in my life and for some reason I must have decided to keep both ticket stubs. I have never saved stubs from anything other than concerts but something, unknown to me at the time, made me hold on to these for safe keeping.

The Twin Tower image is iconic. I remember seeing the NY skyline minus the towers for the first time just 3 weeks after the attacks. I was looking out of my airplane window as we flew out of Newark, NJ to the balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque. The Towers were gone and the reality of what had happened that horrible day set in and I sobbed.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
What a wonderful sentiment keep sake you have.

I have had moments too. I used to live in NY and I always saw the Towers as my friends. I loved it out there. I flew into NY two or thee years after, it just looked so sad. I always find myself reflecting when I see an old show or movie and the Trade Center is in a shot. I never actually went to the Trade Center though.

I know I will never forget!

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Yes, how meaningful that you have those Cindy.

I have never been to New York but that doesn't make the World Trade Center any less meaningful to me. When ever I see a movie made previous to 2001 in New York, I get teary eyed. It is still so terribly sad.

·
Jester & Piper's Mom
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good friends of ours got engaged years ago at the "Windows on the World" restaurant on the 107th floor of the north tower. She says all she has is good memories and a matchbook.

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
That is an awesome find. When I was a kid, I watched from my front porch as the towers were built. Though I don't get to NYC very often these days, the view from the BQE or the Verrazano Bridge will always be missing "something" in my mind. :(

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Used to work there........buildings 1, 2 & 6.

·
Registered
343 Posts
That's definitely something to hold on to.... I know for a while after 9/11 people were advertising for pictures, etc. that showed the twin towers.
Exactly 2 weeks before 9/11 my daughter, her fiance and I traveled to NYC- a day trip, so that my daughter could get a visa to live in Wales for a year.(Her fiance is from there.) We went to the Embassy building, did a bit of walking around and had lunch before heading to the train station to come back home. At the train station in Hoboken(I think) we were early for our train. I happened to turn around to see something, and there right in from of me was the most beautiful view of the twin towers. We all marveled at the sight and I took pictures.
A few days later my daughter and fiance flew back to Wales, just days later the twin towers were gone. It was very hard for my daughter that day- she was just 18, and she was there and her whole family was here. She wanted to fly home to be with us, but of course couldn't. She was so afraid she would never see any of us again.
A little while after 9/11 I put my pictures on my camera from that day, having completely forgot about that picture. It was a treasured but sad memory of what was and what had happened.

·
Supreme Member
4,621 Posts
This Thread gave me chills.
My daughter was in the South Tower of the World Trade Center on 9-11. She was on the 79th floor and is a Survivor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts