Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, if you're not up to reading a long-ish post from a rookie Golden person, read another post now! ;)

Somewhere in the last few days, I read a post on this site about a "depressed" Golden. Her behavior sounded a LOT like our Joy's behavior: a bucket of energy outside for the most part, and REALLY mellow inside. Joy is definitely NOT a lovey/licking goofball like many Goldens I have known and loved, but then again neither was her Mom. In fact, one of the things we loved about the dam was her mellow disposition with our kids.

Anyway, for the past 6 months that we have had Joy, I have thought, "This is great! All the exercise and training and classes are paying off - we have a terrific dog!" I LOVE hiking, walking, and playing with her outside, playing tug and "Find Me!" with her inside, and doing obedience work. I love that she comes over and leans against my legs while I wash dishes and cook, and that she sits on my feet when I actually sit down! I also love that when I have to go bathe my kids or do laundry or whatever, she curls up on the kitchen floor and chews a nylabone or falls asleep. We are so blessed - she LOVES her cozy crate, loves visitors, plays wonderfully with other dogs, and is a very confident pup.

I WAS FINE UNTIL I READ THAT POST!!!! With all the similarities between the OP's dog and ours, I am just overly concerned now, especially since this is our first Golden (and first non-rescue dog!) And to make matters worse - I read in the replies to the OP that the owner found a home for the dog where the dog WASN'T "depressed." Now I'm super paranoid that we're not making Joy happy, that we aren't the best family for her - ACK! How can I go from feeling terrific about our caring for Joy to feeling soooooooooooooooooo worried that she'd be happier with another family????????????

I hope I'm just hormonal......

:uhoh:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just wanted to add..... Joy NEVER sighs or gives those noises that sound like, "Will someone just do something for me now?" (I used to have a dog that grunted and sighed like my GRANDPA in a bad mood!!) She is super quiet except when we play tug, and then she does that wonderful growly/talking Golden voice......

I love her so much. I think I should go to bed...... She's sleeping peacefully!!!!! :)

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
I often wonder the same about Max - is he happy? Is he getting what he really needs? Your Joy sounds so much like him, he's a barrel of energy outside, he loves being outside, and inside, he just sort of lazes around - leans on me when he can, curls up on the sofa when I settle in to read or watch TV, and sometimes just goes into his crate and takes a nap.
I THINK he's happy. I know he knows how much he's loved, and he's spoiled rotten as far as attention - I pretty much am at his beck and call most of the time - so I think we're doing okay. And I think you are too!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I think she is happy and content (sp). Some goldens are just calmer than others. I have two goldens around the same age and one would be going and going like the energizer bunny playing ball all the time and the other just is happy laying beside me. If she is getting enough energy than I wouldnt worry.

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Whoa! It sounds like youre doing things right and lucked into that sought after golden with an "on/off" switch! If you werent worried before reading the post, resist that power of suggestion!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Tito is a lot like that too, and we love it. It's perfectly normal for a well bred golden to have an on/off switch! If they didn't, they'd have a heck of a hard time sitting quietly in a duck blind waiting to go retrieve ;)

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
All of my Goldens are like that-they are maniacs outside and the only thing maniac about them when they come inside is their mad dash for the sofa! The lucky winners will then spend hours on the sofa, napping and lying with as much of them touching me as possible. They will only get up for food or to go potty, as they know they will lose their spot on the sofa :)

The only one who is maniac inside is the Crested, and she is small enough that it is okay.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Both of my Goldens have on/off switches. It took Danny 2 1/2 years to find his, but finally he did.

I think that your pup is totally normal and happy!

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Our dogs are super-intense boys from working stock, and they have an "off" switch indoors too. I've always thought it was a sign of contentment and happiness.

I think if your dog is destructive or unhealthy, you can be concerned if he's feeling fulfilled and happy, but a dog who loves to work and play outdoors and then sleep indoors is a well-adjusted, happy animal.

Aside from the occasional game of keep away or "let's bite each other's faces," our dogs spend the bulk of their indoor time asleep or chewing a nylabone. I'm always proud of the training, exercise, and temperament it shows when your dog is an intense worker outdoors and a quiet gentleman (or lady) indoors.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Sounds to me like you are giving her all the exercise and play she needs outside, so when she comes in she is content. My Teddi is very much like that. We go out for our activity, and then she comes in and relaxes. As it should be. If we have inclimate weather and we can't get out, she is more frustrated indoors and looks for activity.

We have our dinner around 7:30 after our activity, after dinner my dogs sleep and we watch TV. A quiet household. I wouldn't worry

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I'm not sure how to embed 2 different quotes so I'll just say I agree with hotel4dogs & tippykayak, I think it's a sign of a well-behaved, well adjusted, content dog to know when to be active and when to be quiet.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I think she sounds perfect too. If I remember the other thread you are referring to, that pup came to it's owner at 5/6 months old and had been living in a pen with his litter mate brothers. I might have suggested that he was missing his brothers, but for a pup raised in that environment, I think some separation sadness might be expected. My first Golden, Sam was a very laid back pup and dog. He never exhibited typical puppy behavior. I never gave it a second thought. I thought all Goldens were mellow like him...until I got Ike and realized that they do bite, chew, chase, bark, jump, and make you laugh out loud at their puppy antics indoors and out.
Enjoy your good fortune. :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
THANK YOU one and all. I really, really needed to hear that from you experienced Golden folks. What a blessing this forum is. Thank you!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I envy you and Joy. I have two golden boys bounding around my house right now and leaping into my lap from mid room.:doh:

·
Missing my sweet Oliver
225 Posts
I am glad you got the answers that you got to put your mind at ease. I have had Goldens for 25 years and most have been very mellow. The two I have now(2 and 3 yrs old) are so different. Stan would stay out all day Oliver is in and out all the time. Stan will come in and find a place as close to me as possible and sleep soundly. Oliver paces, goes through all of his toys, nags Stan to play some more and finally lays down. But I think they are both happy and contented.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I am glad you are more at ease now. And as Oakly's Dad points out it could be worse she could be mellow outdoors and bouncing off the walls inside. ;)

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
See nothing to worry about! Tucker gets crazy inside when he has not been exercised. We took him to the beach this past summer. We walked him all day, all over the beach and boardwalk. When we got back to the hotel, I crashed on the bed. I will never forget Tucker's reaction. He hopped up on the bed, and laid his head in my lap as if to say "Thanks Dad". He then fell asleep. All you are seeing is the signs of a very happy, relaxed and fulfilled dog...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts