Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shanks was give the snip on Monday, not it appears his wound is infected. We are off to the vets tonight for them to have a look but today hes had a couple of bouts of diahorrea...

I feel really bad becuase we havent been as strong with his buster collar as we should have. Its really hard to put on him becuase he just frezzes on the spot it dosnt move he wont drink with it on or eat. We really have to drag him anywhere if he needs to move. We left it on overnight and he was in exactly the same position as we left him the night before. I honestly think he just sat there the entire night and didnt move...

Has anyone got any advice on how to encourage them, get them to act normally and get them to sleep with the collar on. We have tried Peanut on it but he ignores it he never ignores peanut butter, I dont know how help him..

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Gus did the same thing the first time I ever had to put an e-collar on him. He just stood there and wouldn't move. Then he realized if he ran into things with it on, he could pop it off and break it eventually (too smart for his own good!).

Have you tried an inflatable type collar? That might not freak him out so much. Here's a link to what I'm talking about: http://reviews.petco.com/3554/100555/reviews.htm

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Poor boy hope all goes well for him. I've never had to use a collar on any of mine and to be honest they have never bothered the op site, but if he does have an infection then it would be best to leave it on - if you can watch him though perhaps a little "off time" may be in order and only put it on when you can't watch him.

Good luck wishes and hugs on their way, please let us know how he is

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for such a late reply been a bit of a crazy few days.. We went back and the vet said he didnt have an infection and the diahorrea cleared up friday afternoon and he was fine on saturday but hes had a couple of bouts today.. Hes still a little down and lathargic and we are back in for his post op check on Wednesday..

The good news is hes getting used to his collar and is acting relativly normal when its on...

Does anyone know how long it is roughly before hes back to normal after the op..?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Can you add some fiber to his diet to see if that will firm his stools? If not maybe some boiled hamburger and rice or chicken and rice to settle his tummy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.