Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone:D

I stumbled accross this site just the other day. I was looking for a place that does 'Showing Classes' but found this instead. Not quite what I wanted but I'm glad for accidents like these!

Like most of you I started posting before I made an introduction. So I have decided to make ammends and tell you all a bit about myself. I have just recently become the proud mum of a beautiful golden girl called Ripley. Naming her was a painstaking process as my Fiance will atest to. He said to me 'PICK A NAME ALREADY!!!'. But it was all worth it in the end, I never doubt the name I chose for her.

As for why I have a golden, well that is a longish story, so I'll trim it down for you all.. I have always been most passionate about dogs. As I'm sure you all agree, they are that missing peice in our hearts. Unfortunately, my parents were of a different opinion and I never had any pets. When I was old enough to move out of home, I lived only in apartments, therefore could not get a dog.

All those years of waiting gave me ample time to research the different breeds and what I wanted. I decided that when the time came I would get a Golden Retriever. I fell in love with that regal look they have when they spot game. It never fails to take my breath away. They are the most gentle and pure creatures I've ever known.

After that decision was made I also realised I wanted to aid in the betterment of the breed. I didn't want the Golden retriever to have the same fate as say the German Shepard. In Australia, only very responsible and doggy people buy Goldens. They are not yet common enough to have been cross bred beyond recognition, filling up the pound due to abandonment or being beaten by those who are cowardly enough to take their anger out on a dog. I am so very thankful this precious breed has not yet gone down that path.

So I have made it my mission to ensure the temprement, disposition, conformation and 'exclusivity' that Goldens are renouned for. I will not sell my Goldens to pet stores where there is no screening process. I will only breed & sell quality goldens to loving homes.

This is my vision, this is why I am here. I am only a beginner in this field, so I love to hear all I can about the breed and your stories. Ripley is like a child to me, I cherrish her and I hope we are both welcome to share in your discussions here.

Thanks heaps for bareing with me during that long introduction!! :eek:

Charm

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi Charm, welcome to the site! There is just something about golden retrievers that make them look so special! I think you will find this a very friendly site to be a member of, i know i have!

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
G'day to our new Aussie friend :)
I've never been to Australia, nor my wife, but we sure hope to visit Melbourne or Sydney one day. Looking forward to read your articles...
Joe

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hello Australian friends... :cool:.
There is one more Aussie here actually (that we know of) - Liss.

I would love to travel and see all the different wonders, common things, and differences that other countries have to offer.
It still amazes me that through computers and the net we are all able to learn, talk and become friends - it would hardly ever happen if it weren't for this technology.

Hmmmm... I guess I'm in one of my philosophical moods... :rolleyes:

What I wanted to say is - I'm glad you found this place!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Vierka, there's nothing wrong with Philosophy. Except early in the morning when our brains don't seem to work properly :D hehe

Thank you all for your warm welcome, I love hearing all your stories and contributing to the discussions. We can all learn alot from each other. And its fun to laugh about the crazy things dogs do! hahaha

I know what you mean about the internet though....it's just great that I can get some advise from someone in Toronto or help someone out in Malaysia. It's amazing:rolleyes:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi there Charm! I'm another aussie, and only very new to this forum. I stumbled upon it yesterday and I'm sure glad I did!!

I know exactly how you feel about Goldens cos that's my feelings as well. They are just such a special breed, and I've found that Golden owners are lovely people all around the world!

I live in Queensland, about an hour out of Brisbane. My 2 goldens are Jessie and Shadow.

Nice to 'meet' you!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we

Hello!

Looks like we have another Queenslander to the forum. Welcome! hehhe I live on the Gold Coast and there is another lady on here (Meggies Mum, her name is Barb) who lives near Warick. Isn't it a small world? :p

Whereabouts near brisbane are you? This forum is just great, I'm sure you'll love it as much as the rest of us. I only found it a couple of weeks ago, but then, it was only established a couple of weeks ago anyway. So we are all 'pretty new'. :rolleyes: hehe

Are both your dogs Goldens? I'de love to see some pictures of them. How old are they and which breeder did you buy from?

I am looking to become a breeder myself, so I have been on here giving alot of advise and listening to advise myself.

Look forward to chatting with you. Charm :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi there Charm,
I live just out of Ipswich actually, halfway between there and Gatton. I moved up from western Sydney in August 2001.
My breeders are Nikki Ashe [Moment So Gold kennels], who now lives up near Toowoomba, but used to live near Ipswich. Jessie came from her.

Shadow came from Gretchen Thomson who lives up past Toowooba. Her kennel name is Auromvorax I think.

I've posted some pictures of Jessie and Shadow in my introduction, but here's one of my two for you to view here. Shadow is on the left, and Jessie on the right.

My favourite place to take the Goldens is up north, along Rainbow beach, and 40 mile beach. We have a 4 wheel drive, and have a great time up there, and the dogs love it!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
But definitely!! Especially places like Fraser Island. I've had the best times there!!!

Mind you I'm from Sydney originally, and have to say it is one of the most beautiful cities to fly into with its lovely harbour and bridge!

I was so proud to be an aussie during the Olympics when they were held in Sydney in 2000. Sydney was the best place to be during that time!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi From Liss

Well the computer is finally fixed (hence the long absence).

I see more Aussies have joined in the meantime, YAY. But Cane Toads, yuk, LOL - only us Aussies know what that means, hehe.

It seems I have a lot of catching up to do.

Liss

PS. GO THE BLUES!!!!!!! - More Aussie Talk.

·
Registered
61 Posts
ewwww, cane toads!!!
I remember when I first moved up here, and saw my first cane toad! What a hideous creature!!

Now those cute little green frogs, or the gecko's in the house don't worry me at all........but cane toads!!! Yuck!!!

Oh, and now I'm a Queenslander I should say........
GO THE MIGHTY MAROONS!!!!!

lol
oh, by the way Liss, are you anywhere near Kiama on the south coast there? That is my favourite spot from my childhood. Used to go there every Christmas for our holidays. Have also spent time there a few years back for weekend breaks!
I miss visiting Kiama!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Welcome back Liss! LOL I think I'd prefer canetoads to those dirty lil cockroaches lol! Time will tell, but I reckon next wednesday us Qlders will be load and proud! What will they be doing south of the border-I think they may be a little BLUE!!! maybe you can let us know!(Little bit of friendly rivalry!!!)

Look forward to hearing more from you Liss! Great to have you back on board!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hardy Har Har!!

Roaches all the way. Hehe.

Ever cracked a cane toad with a cricket bat? Fun aint it?

Kiama, that is not far from here, 'bout 20 mins. I'm just north of Wollongong, in the Bulli area.

I was only in Kiama a few weeks ago. Went to the ice creamery and blow hole. Was blowing like crazy. My cousin lives in Gerroa so we go to Kiama a fair bit.

Liss

PS: Golden Aussie: Where in Western Sydney were you from?

·
Registered
122 Posts
2 days til showdown Liss! (I haven't started counting hours yet!!!) Feeling BLUE yet???

Eeeewwwhhh! I dont think I could do that to a cane toad, I have a golfing friend who practises his swing on them though! But they dont worry us over the range here, I've only seen them in the Brisbane/Goldcoast area, when on holidays-horrible lil things they are!

:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Liss, I used to live around Penrith, Kingswood to be precise. Grew up around the Warragamba area. Lived for a while around Blacktown, the moved to Kingswood late 80's.

Oh, I miss Kiama! Would have loved to be up there to see the blowhole doing it's show!

We used to camp at where the old swimming baths were near the ocean, now it's just an oval I think.

Then camped one year at the Blowhole camping area, and East's beach another time.

When I was growing up every Christmas there used to be one of those steam driven Merry Go Rounds [Carousels to you folks over the oceans]. Every night my mum and dad would take me to this mini fair for a ride on the Merry Go Round and for fairy floss. [cotton candy].

You can't imagine my surprise, and tears of rememberance when in 1991 my then husband and our kids went to Kiama at Christmas, and this same Merry Go Round was there, in the same spot it had been in during my childhood memories. I was just flabbergasted, and wow, did the memories come flooding back.

Now where were we..........ahhhh yes.......Go the Maroons!!!!!!!! LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts