Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
My real name is Sandy
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received mine today and I am wondering how do you know when you are done brushing? Could you literally brush too much and leave your dog bald? When do you know you are done????

·
Lovin my boy Tucker!
1,111 Posts
I only use my furminator about 3 or 4 strokes in the same place. I have never done it more so I am not sure if it will continue to pull out hair, but the 3 or 4 strokes gets enough. Then I use a regular brush for the rest of the dog, including the underbody and tail. Whatever you do dont use the furminator on his long hair, only his coat.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I have several cues..... my arm or back is aching or the dogs have gotten antsy !!!! Seriously, I brush each for a few minutes (maybe 3-5 min/each). I figure that's a ton of hair that is now outside and not on my floors or bed. I'd much rather do a little at a time than to do one marathon session.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
It only takes out the undercoat, which has a different texture and color than the rest of the fur (it's really light colored on Dusty, and on Boo the black Lab it's sort of dull and gray). So I don't think it could leave the dog bald. But when Dusty was shedding really badly, the first time my mom and I used the furminator we took turns brushing him for at least an hour and there was still fur coming out.

·
My real name is Sandy
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I am outside brushing Bella and holy gobs of fur is flying everywhere !! Wow--I bet if I brushed for for hours there would still be fur. She isn't too crazy about sitting still, she get very impatient with being still. Is it possible to ever get all the undercoat out or is that asking too much??

·
Registered
102 Posts
I haven't purchased the furminator yet. My vet told me to be careful if I bought one because I could have a bald dog. He suggested I use a slicker brush. I had Ginger brushed after a training session at Petsmart and they used the furminator. I'm having her bathed there this Saturday after class but will ask them not to use the furminator.

·
Supreme Member
4,621 Posts
I only use my furminator about 3 or 4 strokes in the same place. I have never done it more so I am not sure if it will continue to pull out hair, but the 3 or 4 strokes gets enough. Then I use a regular brush for the rest of the dog, including the underbody and tail. Whatever you do dont use the furminator on his long hair, only his coat.
Why can't you use it on the long hair?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
You're not supposed to use it on the feathering of the legs/tail (there's no undercoat there to get out, and the hairs seem thicker or something so they're more likely to get caught in the brush and torn or pulled out). A slicker brush would not be anywhere near as good at getting out the undercoat. The only thing I've found comes close is an undercoat rake, but even that takes a lot more time and takes out less hair.

I know several conformation people who use the furminator on their conformation dogs (including Goldens and Flat-coats) with no problem, and they would be the first people to notice if there was any damage to the dog's coat. So I highly doubt that it really could make a dog bald or otherwise damage the coat. It's just a lot more efficient way to get rid of the shedding undercoat that's going to end up on your couch or carpet otherwise.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Well I am outside brushing Bella and holy gobs of fur is flying everywhere !! Wow--I bet if I brushed for for hours there would still be fur. She isn't too crazy about sitting still, she get very impatient with being still. Is it possible to ever get all the undercoat out or is that asking too much??
This really made me laugh. The first time I used mine, I did so inside and OMG, the fur was EVERYWHERE. It looked like a dust storm inside !!! LOL

·
Registered
269 Posts
I could brush Wrigley for days and never get rid of all the fur. He enjoys it and loves to chase his fur as it blows around the back yard.

I don't think you could ever brush them bald, but it can scratch their skin if used too often. I usually use it once or twice (tops) a week.

It gets my vote for the greatest dog invention ever!

·
Registered
86 Posts
It works amazingly well on my Husky. My golden is too young for shedding, so I haven't used it on him yet.

I was able to get out all of his shedable undercoat this summer. His top coat looks fine, and he doesn't look bald at all. I don't think it's possible unless you start hurting your dog.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Whst fo you mean by do not use the furminator on long hair and just his coat? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Thread is 14 years old.
I use a furminator on may dogs and it works great. My Golden has a relatively short coat.
Someone will chime in here and say furminators are as bad as using a straight razor.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I just received mine today and I am wondering how do you know when you are done brushing? Could you literally brush too much and leave your dog bald? When do you know you are done????
Right after you open it. Seriously, send it back.

Reactions: DblTrblGolden2

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I'd return it. The furminator takes off healthy top coat hair due to the design of the teeth. Invest in a real undercoat rake and it won't damage your dog's coat and only remove the undercoat. I wasn't happy with it but your experience may be different.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts