Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Here is our 9.5 week puppy Bourbon.

https://ibb.co/jqvhJ5

We wondered how he would react to this big stuffed toy. Looks like he loves it.:grin2:

https://ibb.co/hxL4WQ

We have taken him to Sirius pup kindergarten class where he met puppies of his age. We have also introduced him to few of my friend's dogs (10 month old female Corgi, 1 year old male Golden, a female Labrador puppy of same age).

Recently we took our puppy to a socialization class conducted by Humane Society Silicon Valley. While we are there he lifted his leg and peed he lifted his leg and peed. We got shocked as that was the first time he lifted his leg and peed. After that incident even when we take to grass to pee, he lifts his leg while peeing.

Should we be worried about this and how to correct this behavior?

Recently we gave this soft toy to play with and last night when he was playing with it, we saw him humping the stuffed toy :surprise:

https://ibb.co/mGkhJ5

What should we do about it? Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,676 Posts
He's a cutie........

Male pups will lift their leg, unusual at this early age though.
Continue to work with him on potty training.

·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Should we stop giving him the stuffed toy that he tried to hump? Or is it fine to let him play with it?

There have been occasional pee accidents inside his Pen. But that has been our mistake where we ignored his whine. Once after peeing outside, he peed thrice in our living room in a short span of 30 minutes. Not sure if he is trying to mark his territory.

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,676 Posts
He's not trying to mark his territory, I would take him out more often.
When he potties outside, give him lots of praise.

When a pup humps, it's not sexual. If you don't want him to do it, redirect his attention to another toy such as a ball.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Love your pups name. Bourbon is adorable. Potty accidents in young pups happen because we some how didn't realize that we waited to long to get them out. That young they don't have a set cue to tell us. Their bladders are not fully developed and when they need to go they need to go. Each pup is an individual so it is all about the owner coming up with the best routine for their pup.

Some young pups just start lifting their legs early. Others never lift their legs. Again, it is just individual. My youngest started lifting his leg by 10 weeks.

Young pups sometimes do hump. It is considered a conflict behavior. They don't know what to do and make that choice. Humans don't seem to like it. :) As was said in the post above redirect the pup to do something else so it doesn't become a habit.

Enjoy the journey, they are only little for such a short time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bourbon is adorable, a really good boy, and Summer loves him! The leg lifting I don't think is worrisome, because I've actually seen some females lift their legs in imitation of males, so like someone else on the thread said, that's most likely what it is. If you want total peace of mind, maybe check there are no other developmental issues with the vet.

Summer was humping his favorite stuffed toy 'Snuggle Puppy' at 10 weeks, and we quickly learnt this was a excitement-related stress response (too many people in the room talking loudly and petting him, too much play, etc). Our trainer back then said as long as he didn't do this to another dog or human it's okay, so we didn't correct the stuffed toy humping (though we definitely did try to redirect him to other things - obviously the caveat was we had to keep his excitement levels low, so that wasn't easy). When adult teeth came in, and snuggle puppy died a horrible death, the humping translated to humans, so that has been a training that we have had to reinforce a lot, starting with no jumping, ignoring him for the first few minutes when we walk in the door, more redirection, etc. Luckily extensive socialization with dogs meant he very quickly learnt not to do that with dogs. Btw, some trainers even say to redirect humping to a favorite pillow/stuffed toy (not possible in our case in case that goes the way of snuggle puppy).

Long story short, I would redirect the behavior now so Bourbon knows a) it's not okay, and b) what is preferable instead, as this will save a lot of undoing the behavior down the line later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts