Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

9 Week Puppy does not like going outside for walks

895 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  cdcruze 
#1 ·
Our puppy Sparky seems to be going through a phase right now where he does not like going outside for a walk. It has been a week since we have had him. The first few days he did go outside with us without an issue, but right now he does not get out of our door step, seems like we have to pull on the leash here and there (pull and release leash method) to make him move and even than he takes one step and sits down or turns around towards our door to go back inside. Not sure if this is a small phase he is going through or if he will start to go back outside again.

#2 ·
He's a baby- not leash trained-and the world is big right now.
If he were mine I would carry him outside and then put him on the ground.
Most little puppies are not big walkers till they learn to enjoy and trust your company, and that big world.

#7 ·
Yup - this exactly. Just carry him out. Concentrate on house training - no need for walks. We'd just hang out in front of our house and enjoy all the love and attention Shala got from anyone passing by. The most we'd walk was the length of the grass in front of our townhouses (which is really short!).

#3 ·
Do you use a harness? We had the same issue when Truman was little where he would run away every time we got out his leash and harness and he would hide. Turns out he hated his harness! We stopped using it and he started finally getting excited to leave places.

#5 ·
Thank you everyone with the response. We haven't used a harness on him yet, just a leash. We have had him for 8 days now counting today. The first two days we had him we had him get use to us, the second day we showed him the door and had the door open to see if he would come out but he did not and we did not force him to come out either. We wanted him to take his first steps on his own. The 3rd day he did come out and walked around the hall way of our apartment, made few accidents on the hall way but he was getting use to it. 4th day he was not scared to come out the door and explore more, and actually walked outside on his own and did potty few times outside. 5th day he pretty much loved being outside, even did his potty outside Morning, Afternoon, Evening and Night. Sixth and Seventh day not sure what has happened but he does not like going near the door, I tried picking him up and bringing him outside the hallway and he tries to run back in to the apartment. He is not scared of other dogs as he has seen them pass by and loves to meet people the days we were outside. We do have to keep him on leash since we live in an apartment and can not let him loose. We are both confused on why he does not want to go outside anymore.

#6 ·
Think about what a hallway appears like to a small puppy who does not have much world experience. He may not have even noticed the close walls the first few times, but now does. I would not expect him to go from your apartment down the hall to the outside for several more months- I've never raised a puppy in an apartment but I have raised hundreds of puppies and I think you're expecting too much independence from him.He is a baby. Think about what you'd expect from an infant. Work on confidence building when inside, and again when outside as exercises you do every single time he goes out and every time he comes in (in your arms- I really would not expect him to walk down the hall and out the building just because he did it once or twice).

#8 ·
Pups have fear periods that last a few days - maybe he's just having one a bit earlier than usual. As others have said, just carry him outside until he's comfortable. Also, you could maybe play games in your home to make him enjoy the leash: fun training sessions, games, etc., while wearing the leash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.