Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got our female golden last weekend, at 8 weeks old, and have found that she now has a rash inside both of her hind legs, spreading onto her belly. We have not bathed her since we got her...finally got the puppy shampoo yesterday. She has been itching the rash area with her teeth, so I know it itches, but by no means is it continuous.

The "new thing" we are looking at right now is some treats our kids got for her, "Dingo Munchy Stix, Chicken in the Middle" sticks made with Rawhide, Chicken, Pork, Water, Corn Sugar, salt, potassium sorbate (a preservative), FD&C Red 40. They are for dogs, though we have given her smaller bits of it...do we need to get puppy treats? We also give her little bits of "Big Value Dog Snacks" for smaller dogs as a treat for training. Could these additions be the cause?

Lastly, of course, she has been out in the newly sprouting grass/weeds, some of which are flowering (ashamed - need to cut the grass!).

So, any advice would be helpful and appreciated! Thanks for your help.

(btw, outside of our own babies, is anything as cute as a 9-week old golden!!??:):))

Added: We have been feeding her Purina Puppy Chow, which is what the breeder was feeding her.

·
Premium Member
18,151 Posts
It's pretty common for puppies to get a skin infection, I would have the vet check it, they will probably give antibiotics for it. And no, there is absolutely nothing cuter than a Golden puppy!

(personally I think there are any number of puppy foods that are better quality than Puppy Chow).

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Has a vet seen her yet? If not, I'd get their opinion on what it is. Perhaps just trying using her kibble as her treats instead of introducing those and see if it makes a difference as well.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I agree that it is more than likely a staph infection that will require antibiotics. My Bama had that when he was a small puppy. He had to also have shampoo that helped the itching stop.
Congratulations on the new puppy. There is nothing better then a sweet puppy and that puppy breath.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK...is this fact or fiction? Is a dog's nose supposed to be wet? Our puppy's hasn't been since the day we got her. Does that mean anything?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts