Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. This is my first, and almost certainly NOT last, post here. We've got a wonderful 9 week old that's been home with us for a week and I feel like we're already struggling with some behavior issues--in the sense that the humans here aren't sure how to handle them.

Going outside has come with some interesting challenges. Notably she is very adverse to going outside when the weather is hot, like in the middle of the day. Not outrageous heat, like 85degF and sunny. It starts with putting on the leash and announcing we're going outside. She will start to pull at he least and resist; we're reduced to playing tug-o-war (not good in this context), trying to pick her up (she tries to bite) or giving up and hoping she can hold it for a little while longer and will be more willing. Once outside in the heat, she whines and chews the leash and tries to pull us back inside. More tug-o-war, and she ends up feeling in control.

This is also negatively impacting other training, as we're not getting much time outside to work on stuff or to give her the exercise she needs to avoid getting hyper later in the day.

I know we cannot make her like the heat, but we're at a loss as to how to get her business done without getting caught in negative situations or reinforcing bad habits.

Thanks for any tips!

·
Jupiter's mom
316 Posts
Jupiter (12 weeks old) is the same!

During the day - we just carry him out to a shady spot in the backyard. Sometimes, it's a really small spot, but if it's shady, he will go "peepee."

By carrying her, you're taking all the leash play resistance out of the equation.

As soon as he pees, we say "Goooooood boy!!!" and we run straight back into the air conditioning.

It didn't take him long to learn if he wanted to be cool - he'd better empty himself.

:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! Just (overly) concerned here that she will wind up disliking being outside as a result of our struggle :-/

·
Registered
67 Posts
My pup doesn't like the afternoon sun either. I don't force her. It's obviously not comfortable. I would carry her out to pee and let her sit in the shade, then bring her in. She loves being outside in the cool evening air! She's only little I didn't want her to get heat stroke. She's getting better as she gets bigger.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's been raining here in South Louisiana, so I can't say much about the heat because it's rained the entire three days we have had our 8 week old little guy. However, for the first two days, we were taking him outside to potty in our fenced backyard without a leash. Now that he's gotten braver, he wanted to do everything outside but potty. So, we decided that putting him back on the leash was a good idea so we could control where we roamed in the backyard. Now, he thinks the leash in a game and doesn't run outside like he used to. It's sort of the lesser of two evils. If you have a fenced yard, maybe try taking him outside without the leash and make it VERY exciting sounding (lol). Or maybe take him outside to his spot and then leash him? We've gotten to where we have to carry our little guy to the grass because he's taken liking to licking the pavement.

·
Riley
1,023 Posts
I'd just carry her out to pee and then take her back in. The thing with many behavior issues is that prevention (not giving her a chance to tug on the leash) actually stops the behavior from ever happening. Kind of a lack of practice and they tend to forget about it. This doesn't work for all issues, but I've found that it does for many "bratty" behaviors.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree with figtoria. I didn't have to carry my boy but if I had to I would and basically wait till they do their business and make it exciting and let them inside afterwards. After awhile they will know what they have to do to get inside.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Actually I feel like the puppy wanting to be outside will make potty training easier for both of you lol it's like a reward without a treat

·
Registered
153 Posts
You're overthinking it... a 9 week old puppy isn't big enough to refuse to do anything. And you want it that way. Don't let him grow up thinking he is allowed any decisions. It's halfway cute at 9 weeks, not at all at 9 months. Just pick him up and take him outside when you want to go out. Shade is best - puppies aren't real great at regulating their body heat at that age - but *you* should be making the decisions.

Crate her during the day if she won't pee when you go outside, and then spend plenty of time with her outside in the evening so she's appropriately tired and sleeps through the night. She'll most likely decide she likes being outside when the weather cools off this fall and it'll never be an issue in the future... but even if she doesn't like the outside, she still has to learn that is the place to pee. This is in the not-optional category...

Reactions: Megora
1 - 9 of 9 Posts