Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

9 week old golden weight

24K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Ipsita Girolla 
#1 ·
I have a 9 week old golden... I took him to the vet last week for a checkup and he only weighed 4 pounds on the dot. He has normal activity and has been a picky eater, however I began to add a touch of water to his dry dog food and he has started to gobble it right up now. My question is- is this a normal weight for a golden at his age? I know that he was not the runt because I saw the runt of his litter and my Marley was substantially larger.

#2 · (Edited)
I'm not sure but I know when I got my puppy at 6 weeks he went to the vet the next day and he weighed 10.7 lbs. The vet said that's way too much and cut down his food. We go back when he's 10 weeks and vet said he should still way 10.7 at that time. He said it's much better for them to put weight on slowly. Somebody with more puppy knowledge will be along to answer you better. Would love to see pictures ♥

#3 ·
Four pounds seems a little low. Was the vet happy with his weight and health in general? Perhaps he'll start putting on some weight with the water being added to his kibble.

My puppy Lexx weighed 14 pounds at 8 weeks old. He is now 3.5 months and just weighed in at 32 pounds. It sounds like alot but he's very lean.

#13 ·
Late reply... Normal at the time since I'm getting up every few hours in the middle of the night to ensure that potty training stays on track! I did ask the breeder and she claims that all of the other dogs are close to this weight as well. She also tells me that Marley's dad weighed 4 lbs at 8 weeks as well and he is now 85 lbs.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tarasue85Tara/status/242484514956402688

#20 ·
Welcome to the forum!
5lbs (2.3kg) does seem light for a 9 week old. What are you feeding him now? Perhaps you could give him some extra small meals, preferably with higher protein until he starts gaining weight. Also, if he is eating dry puppy kibble, adding puppy milk to make it softer may help him eat more.

#21 ·
He eats wet kibble which is high in calories Royal canin maxi starter and I also give him boiled egg white at times and daily protein supplements like zip vit but I think food is not adequate since I stopped giving him much as he got diarrhoea from overeating he got a little fat in between but is again lean as he recovered from diarrhoea the third time since I brought him now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.