Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm reaching out for some feedback about my new puppy I just got. I wasn't expecting him to have these traits but was wondering if this is common or if he's even full bred? He has these greenish/hazel eyes with a red/pinkish nose. I got him from a breeder but never saw the parents in person, just through pictures and now I'm concerned that he's possibly mixed? We absolutely love him but was just kinda expecting him to have those black eyes, black nose traits. what do you guys think?
Dog Carnivore Companion dog Toy Dog breed
Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Grass

·
Super Moderator
2,521 Posts
He is liver based, instead of black based. 99% of the breed is black based. But this is the third puppy I’ve seen recently where the dog is liver based. It is -possible- since the brown allele exists in the breed, but it is very very unusual since it exists in such a small portion of the breed.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sorry I don’t have an answer, other than he’s absolutely adorable!

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
He's very cute. My first girl looked all Golden except for the brown nose. She came from a Humane Society so who knows. She was the best dog ever and I still miss her. You can do DNA testing with a kit from Amazon. My sister does it when she gets a mix breed and it is very interesting.

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm reaching out for some feedback about my new puppy I just got. I wasn't expecting him to have these traits but was wondering if this is common or if he's even full bred? He has these greenish/hazel eyes with a red/pinkish nose. I got him from a breeder but never saw the parents in person, just through pictures and now I'm concerned that he's possibly mixed? We absolutely love him but was just kinda expecting him to have those black eyes, black nose traits. what do you guys think? View attachment 888483 View attachment 888484
Nothing to add other than,...he's a cutie-patootie!!! Just love him up and admire those beautiful traits, every single day....:love:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He is liver based, instead of black based. 99% of the breed is black based. But this is the third puppy I’ve seen recently where the dog is liver based. It is -possible- since the brown allele exists in the breed, but it is very very unusual since it exists in such a small portion of the breed.
Thank you for this info, that explains a lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He's very cute. My first girl looked all Golden except for the brown nose. She came from a Humane Society so who knows. She was the best dog ever and I still miss her. You can do DNA testing with a kit from Amazon. My sister does it when she gets a mix breed and it is very interesting.
i will probably end up doing so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts