Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Monty rocks!!!
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 9 months male golden retriever puppy. His weight is around 29kg now, height roughly 50cm.. was wondering if this is normal?

also wondering how many cups you guys would feed a male golden puppy around this age? I'm feeding him twice a day 3 cups altogether (innova large breed puppy food) - is this amount alright?

last question - how much walking does he need at this age?

thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think this is just fine, my 6 month old ( 10 days ago ) was 27,9 kg now on Tuesday and the vet says he is completely normal. His parents ( and brothers and sisters ) are both big dogs and she said he would go over 40 kg for normal weight ( not because he is fat, but he is just all around big ).

I feed mine twice a day ( although I keep his bowl out all day, but only put it in at around 8 am and 6 pm, he always finishes ). I am giving him Hill's Natural's Best ( it is completely unlike the US version ( EU version I am giving him ), it has no soy, no wheat and no milk product, he had food allergies, which fixed with Hill's ) I am mesuring in gr, I am feeding him as the bag say around 500 gr per day ( I am though going to add 100 gr next week, as it says around 615 gr for 30 kg + dogs ) and I am also in the progress of switching him from Large Breed to Adult ( little left of the Large breed kibble ).

About exercise, I don't know. A Golden Retriever book I read talked about that around 6 months you can increase it to 15 - 60 minutes at each time, better to do it shorter and more often ... and talked about after 12 months just go nuts ( which I plan to, can't wait, I am a very outdoor person ).

My vet talked about that if you are off leash you let him find it out for him self ? But my dog seems to have ENDLESS energy so dosen't work for everybody and my breeder( here in Iceland there are no HRFÍ approved kennels, and generally kennels are not well recieved here, only small personal breeders who do it out of love for their dogs :) ) really dosen't want the dog to move until he is 12 months :). We had a little reunion where one of the dog walked for maybe 500m and she was like "Ohh she shouldn't let the dog walk so far"

So I guess you will get 100 answers here, I think you simply have to read the dog a little bit, that's what I try. ( We go out with him rather much, but we try to contain our self's so he dosen't get to tired ( which he never seems to get :) ) )

1 - 2 of 2 Posts