Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, our golden, Gus, is just about 9 months old, and we've very recently noticed that about halfway down his back his coat becomes dull and much lighter than the top half. From his head down to midway down his back, his fur is beautiful - thick and lustrous. Then midway down his back it becomes shorter and almost dry looking. It's a little hard to tell in the photo, but it's quite drastic in person, and it seems to have happened just in this past week. We especially noticed it after we brushed him. Is this something we should be concerned about, or is this normal for a pup's first coat blow? Otherwise he is completely healthy and acting completely normal! Any knowledge on this would be helpful!!

Attachments

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,205 Posts
His coat is changing in 2 ways. He starting to get his adult coat in and hes probably blowing a bit of his coat from the season change. You likely noticed it because of the brushing. You removed the blown coat and hence the sudden change/noticing of the difference. The dander from blowing the coat may have been brought up to the top coat so a bath will likely restore a bit of the shine to the duller areas, maybe even a wet paper towel with plain water would help. A change of coat quality is never just going to happen in a weeks time. It takes weeks (4-6 weeks) for a coat to change as it's a skin change then what grows out of the changed skin do you see an actual change in coat. So this is likely the shedding/dander is the root cause.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response! That makes a lot of sense, he'll be getting a bath next weekend anyways so hopefully that'll bring some of the shine back!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Same exact thing happened to my golden around that age. No worries, the fur grew back. It still thins a bit down there during a season change, but not as drastically as it did around your pup's age.

·
Kate
23,513 Posts
Coat looks healthy to me...

Er - OK. I see the spot. Does he wear a harness/jacket/stupid back pack??? Looks like a rub spot (hairs broken). Scratching/rolling is another possibility.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok that's what we were thinking, thank you, Champ! Megora, he does wear a harness but it hits him much farther up, near his shoulders!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Our 8 month old Moe looks the exact same at the moment. His short fur may actually be a little higher up on the back and is also dry. I'm glad you posted. I've been looking at it trying to remember if my other dogs went through this at this stage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone, our golden, Gus, is just about 9 months old, and we've very recently noticed that about halfway down his back his coat becomes dull and much lighter than the top half. From his head down to midway down his back, his fur is beautiful - thick and lustrous. Then midway down his back it becomes shorter and almost dry looking. It's a little hard to tell in the photo, but it's quite drastic in person, and it seems to have happened just in this past week. We especially noticed it after we brushed him. Is this something we should be concerned about, or is this normal for a pup's first coat blow? Otherwise he is completely healthy and acting completely normal! Any knowledge on this would be helpful!!
Hey, did this ever end up fixing itself and regrowing? My 8mo/old puppy has exact same issue and I'm hoping his full coat grows back!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.