Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm overly anxious and upset regarding a potential SAS diagnosis for my 9 month old "Gracie." She is my fifth Golden and I sensed something was wrong when she was about 6 months; correct label is "exercise intolerance." Other than that, she is simply an almost perfect sweetheart.
I had blood work done then and all was normal; additionally, a heart murmur was never detected. Last week, she was spayed and the bloodwork was repeated with an abnormality regarding her liver. My vet has recommended a cardiologist and the appointment is July 5th which feels like light years away.....Still, no detectable heart murmur but her gut feel is that it is SAS. We also discussed the possibility of PDA. I should point out that I got "Gracie" from a breeder whose main aim was to breed for longevity. ALL clearances were fine and well documented. As of now, a call to this breeder has yet to be returned after four days!!! Any and all insight will be highly appreciated.

·
Kristy
9,838 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your worry and everything you're going through. I can't imagine how hard it's going to be to wait all those weeks for answers. Please know you have a resource here for people who care.

I don't know how you worded your message to your breeder, but you may want to follow up with an e-mail in case she didn't get the message. Are you just informing her of what's going on? I don't know a ton about SAS, but I know it seems that even with proper clearances it can just pop up.

Please keep us posted on how you and your pup are doing, it is so hard to wait.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
So sorry to hear about Gracie. Remember bad things do happen to repsonsible breeders. I am not a cardiologist, but if the dog was exhibiting exercise intolerance due to SAS or PDA, I would think that a heart murmur would be audible. And where you can have secondary effects on any organ due to heart disease, maybe the intolerance is due to something else...

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
PDA has a characteristic murmur associated with it...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts