Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is only 39 pounds at 9 months (turned 9 months today January 12,2021) and I read he should be at 45 at least, on the smaller side. And everyone tells me he’s too skinny. Is this normal? Will he fill out more? I feel at 9 months he’s almost a year and still small.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remember he is still a puppy even at 9 months. He looks fine to me for his frame.
Thank you. It’s hard to not wonder sometimes after everyone keeps telling me he’s “too small”. I appreciate the feedback :)

·
Super Moderator
213 Posts
Thank you. It’s hard to not wonder sometimes after everyone keeps telling me he’s “too small”. I appreciate the feedback :)
People will probably always tell you that if you keep your dog at a healthy weight. People are so used to seeing massively obese animals that any animal at the proper weight looks "thin" to them.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
He looks fine to me. Most people are so used to seeing oversized goldens, they often think the one within standard is too small.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve read that a healthy dog should appear almost skinny. Ribs should be easy to feel without being too thin. Based on that your dog looks perfectly fine. Personally I prefer a leaner dog as I think they look more healthy. I’m conscious of my own dogs weight and feed accordingly. (I also do the same with my tropical fish)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve read that a healthy dog should appear almost skinny. Ribs should be easy to feel without being too thin. Based on that your dog looks perfectly fine. Personally I prefer a leaner dog as I think they look more healthy. I’m conscious of my own dogs weight and feed accordingly. (I also do the same with my tropical fish)
I have been trying to give my dog the recommended amount of food per day according to his weight and activity level but for the past couple months his appetite isn’t there. He’ll smell the food maybe nibble on it then leave. Even when it has his favorites like broth or chicken bits so therefore when people tell me he looks to skinny, it worries me. So your comment makes me feel a bit better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts