Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one with multidog families have some suggestions as to the best way to develop a harmonious home with a new 9 month old pup and 2 senior Goldens? I will be bringing home the new fellow in 2 weeks. He already met my Goldens on neutral territory at a dog show. I have never had more than 2 dogs and need all the ideas I can get to help this to be a joyful family. I also have 3 indoor cats.
Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Quinn was 8 weeks old when we got him, and we already had Holly and she was 13yo.

I let them sort out things between themselves, and never had cause to intervene, he was very gentle with her and only once did she show him her teeth (when he tried to pinch her favourite spot in the living room.) Don't try and force them to become friends, let them take it at their own pace. I always tried to make sure that when meeting people they made a fuss of Holly first and not Quinn.

They were fed together in the same room (about 6 feet apart) and after a couple of days of watching Quinn never made any attempt to go to Holly whilst she was feeding.

I'm sure I will think of other things later, and more experienced people will chip in too

·
Registered
89 Posts
I agree with Goldesmum, when we had Indie ,Beau was 11yrs old and had always been an only dog .Even though he loked very shocked when we brought Indie home !We let them take things at their own pace and gave Beau plenty of time away from Indie if he seemed a bit stressed ,they soon became great friends and I really believe having Indie gave Beau a new lease of life in his twilight years .Good luck, I am sure it will work out great .

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Maxine was 9 1/2 when we brought Teddi home. Max had to teach Teddi to respect her space but that went fine. Sure there were some growls at the puppy, and if she pushed a snap but there was never any connection. It's funny because Teddi learned to worship the ground Max walked on. She had respect for her too. She never got like that with Belle who was 3 1/2 when we got Teddi. Teddi and Belle only connected this past summer when Maxine got sick. I think Belle stepped up to the plate to be Teddi's playmate when Max no longer could.

I think it should go just fine, just make sure the older dogs have some no puppy time. They need to know they are still special too, pups take so much attention. I know I have a 13 week old right now.

Ann

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since the pup is 9 months old and not so much a puppy but yet not so much a dog do you think it will make a big difference in sorting things out? The pup seems to know boundaries and has been among lots of dogs already. I am hoping that gives him an advantage with his doggy communication skills.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You are correct. If your new pup has been socialized well, which it sounds like he has, going to dog shows and living with other dogs, you really shouldn't have a problem. He should respect your older dogs and back down when necessary. So excited for you! Make sure you post lots of pics when you get him!

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am hoping for a smooth transition but expecting some complications just in case...
My rescue found his way with my other dog and cats so easily that I am soooo spoiled. I am trying not to have a fantasy that it will be totally smooth but then, maybe I will get lucky!
I'll, definitely, post his pictures when he gets home. At the moment the only photo I have is the one on his k9data pedigree.

One of my breeder's dogs took BOB and G1,G2,or G3 all of the 4 days at the Ventura shows. It was all very exciting and he will be heading to Westminister next.

My new pup is not related but it is fun to watch just the same!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts