Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

8 weeks old vaccinations reaction?

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  CAROLINA MOM 
#1 ·
We got our first Golden Claire Bell.. we were so excited!! Now yesterday morning she been to Vet before we arrive to receive her. She got her first sets of shots... she has done very well to be home without crying... early this morning she vomited... again just at noon.... she is so tired today... what is side affects to the vaccines? How long does this last or is it normal?? We are concern.. What precautions we should take?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
We was surprised to get her a little earlier.. we being new to this breed.. Breeder contacted us and said the puppies be ready to go... Claire will be 8 weeks old this Tuesday..
I just founded some info on internet with the symptoms she has is part of side affect from vaccinations... hopefully she start feel some better quick... lots of loving.. just breaking our heart...

#4 ·
Have you consulted with your vet again, about what you are seeing now?
I would also THINK a reaction, but a vet is the proper one to ask.
I would rather be safe than sorry myself, and always contact my own vet before anything else; when seeing something usual..especially with a new puppy.
Wishing your pup a speedy recovery.

#7 ·
We picked our new pup up on a Sunday in November. The breeder gave him his shots the day before. He turned 8 weeks on the following Tuesday. He was sleepy most of the way home. He ate well that night, eating the same puppy chow the breeder was using, and the same water that we brought home from the breeder. He started to have lose stools late that night. Not diarrhea, but very lose. I suspected a reaction to his shots, but we already had a vet appointment set up on Monday morning. Vet checked him over and agree that it might be a reaction. He gave the pup a shot for nausea, as he vomited while we were with the vet. He also gave us a tube of medication, that he said giving him some 2-3 times a day will help the lose stools. He also told us no more food for 12 hrs. after that a half ration of a canned puppy chow he sold us....that all worked well! He is putting on weight and has adapted very well.

Good luck

#8 ·
We picked our new pup up on a Sunday in November. The breeder gave him his shots the day before. He turned 8 weeks on the following Tuesday. He was sleepy most of the way home. He ate well that night, eating the same puppy chow the breeder was using, and the same water that we brought home from the breeder. He started to have lose stools late that night. Not diarrhea, but very lose. I suspected a reaction to his shots, but we already had a vet appointment set up on Monday morning. Vet checked him over and agree that it might be a reaction. He gave the pup a shot for nausea, as he vomited while we were with the vet. He also gave us a tube of medication, that he said giving him some 2-3 times a day will help the lose stools. He also told us no more food for 12 hrs. after that a half ration of a canned puppy chow he sold us....that all worked well! He is putting on weight and has adapted very well.

Good luck
Thanks we worried till about 1 she started moving around being more alert.. through the night till this morning she played.. she drink her water... she haven’t ate since yesterday morning.. so I tried her food which same food as her breeder gave also.. moist it and she ate... going contact the Vet soon as they open this morning... thanks

#9 ·
We been to The vet... breaking our hearts that puppy Claire tested positive for Parvo... she still being lethargic and vomit clear liquid mucus after playing little bit so we immediately called and took her... our next step is doing The treatment... praying she can survive this... IV and antibiotics and canned science hill food... The Vet told us that she been exposed 7-10 days ago... I contacted the Breeder.. bless her heart.. this is first for her after few years of breeding... her heart broken after news.. She said she is alerting all the other puppies owners... uncertain where the pup may have came in contact.. the symptoms of Parvo sure had me puzzled... my best advice to anyone with puppies to make sure they been tested before they let them go to their new home... if there is any signs of weakness, or vomit call Vet immediately to be checked... pray for us..

#12 ·
Sorry to hear that..but there is hope!
The very best to you both!

#13 ·
Sorry to see this. Poor little Claire. Someone posted in the last month or so who also had a very tough pup with parvo. The good news is it survived. Prayers for Claire.

#14 ·
It’s been since monday when the treatments started.. with IV fluids, Pincillin Shots... Our Claire Bell has shown so much improvement.. playing Barking chewing, even started eating our other dog’s Junie’s food... back to her old self like the first day we got her.. we are extremely happy.. Today is final treatment...
what we known About Parvo back when we grew up was the death sentence... it’s was over... With very little knowledge about Parvo treatments... we are sure glad have information today on internet, and more knowledgeable Vets... we learned so much and how quickly things turn to the worse with doubting that it was Parvo.. we was leaning toward the reaction to shots... Claire was showing lethargic, she vomit her food which we thought Maybe she ate to much... then she done like a dry heave vomiting clear liquid... just these little symptoms should be alarming enough to go to Vet... she make regular bowel movement till the morning she made a movement along with diahrea behind it... knew that it was higher risk it maybe Parvo... Vet Told is 50/50 chance.. mix feeling when told... my mind was well just put her to sleep and not let her suffer.. the Vet said if she still trying to do things then let do the treatment... maybe better chance... I called my wife and she was crying... I’m glad with the Vet and my love that we still have our Claire today... after 24 hrs she show some improvement then 48 hrs she improved so much.. today she is back to normal... don’t quit the treatment.. finish it and keep the puppy hydrated....
thank u all for ur prayer, thoughts, and sharing info.... this forum is wonderful site fill with info, expressing our feelings, thoughts, advices and sharing the love about our Golden...
Looking forward to having a life with my golden!!

#15 ·
It’s been since monday when the treatments started.. with IV fluids, Pincillin Shots... Our Claire Bell has shown so much improvement.. playing Barking chewing, even started eating our other dog’s Junie’s food... back to her old self like the first day we got her.. we are extremely happy.. Today is final treatment...
what we known About Parvo back when we grew up was the death sentence... it’s was over... With very little knowledge about Parvo treatments... we are sure glad have information today on internet, and more knowledgeable Vets... we learned so much and how quickly things turn to the worse with doubting that it was Parvo.. we was leaning toward the reaction to shots... Claire was showing lethargic, she vomit her food which we thought Maybe she ate to much... then she done like a dry heave vomiting clear liquid... just these little symptoms should be alarming enough to go to Vet... she make regular bowel movement till the morning she made a movement along with diahrea behind it... knew that it was higher risk it maybe Parvo... Vet Told is 50/50 chance.. mix feeling when told... my mind was well just put her to sleep and not let her suffer.. the Vet said if she still trying to do things then let do the treatment... maybe better chance... I called my wife and she was crying... I’m glad with the Vet and my love that we still have our Claire today... after 24 hrs she show some improvement then 48 hrs she improved so much.. today she is back to normal... don’t quit the treatment.. finish it and keep the puppy hydrated....
thank u all for ur prayer, thoughts, and sharing info.... this forum is wonderful site fill with info, expressing our feelings, thoughts, advices and sharing the love about our Golden...
Looking forward to having a life with my golden!!
SUPER CONGRATES!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.