Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had Bella for a little over a week now. Last night she was her usual self, good appetite and playing a lot with her toys. I woke up at 6 AM to take her outside to go to the bathroom and to feed her. She seemed fine all morning. Later in the afternoon (2-3 PM), I took her outside to go to the bathroom and to run around a bit outside. It was a pretty hot afternoon so I only let her run around for 6-8 minutes. When I took her inside, she went to get a drink and puked up bile about 10 minutes later, but was still acting like herself afterwords. I thought she might have gotten too hot outside. She has since puked 2 more times about 3-4 hours apart each time. It still is only bile, no food bits or anything. She has eaten all three times today, but her final feeding she only ate about half of it (not unusual for her).

I have not changed her food or feeding schedule. (1/2 cup 3 times a day)
She is still drinking water and playing with her toys, but seems to feel sick. I haven't given her any new treats or toys.
I did let her chew on a pig's ear last night, but she did not puke until this afternoon. I am going to take her to the vet in the morning if she pukes at all tomorrow. Anyone else have anything similar when their GR was a puppy? If so, what was it? Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Well, I'm glad you are taking her to the vet.

Lucky tended to puke quite abit as a puppy....usually I'd have some evidence of why. Sometimes it was grass or twigs. Occasionally he just puked for no tangible reason. I do think their little digestive systems are fragile.

But getting sick can also mean a blockage or virus. Not trying to scare you... hopefully its just the unstable puppy tummy. So its good you are taking her to the vet and I hope she feels better soon.

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
Sasha used to throw up bile very early in the morning, when she was a young puppy. I think it has to do with an empty stomach. I began giving her a little bit of a meal just before I went to bed at night and that helped. She was very small so didn't eat much at each meal so I think the extra meal helps.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Sasha used to throw up bile very early in the morning, when she was a young puppy. I think it has to do with an empty stomach. I began giving her a little bit of a meal just before I went to bed at night and that helped. She was very small so didn't eat much at each meal so I think the extra meal helps.

I forgot until you mentioned it...but that used to be Lucky's problem too. If his tummy was empty too long..he would throw up.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
It is good that you are taking her to the vet. Right now, I would skip the pigs ears or chewies like rawhides. I dont like the pigs ears and worry about them especially if they were made in another country. Dont know if they sterilize and what they use to make them.
Get some good nylabones for her to chew on. Hopefully it is alittle bug and she will be ok. Especially when they are little ones they can become dehyrated so fast.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
As of right now, I don't think it is a virus. I think I'm going to follow your suggestion of giving her something to eat before bedtime just to make sure its not from an empty stomach. I woke her up to take her outside to use the bathroom before I go to bed, and she got up and ran towards the door grabbing a toy on the way. She is in the mood to play. It doesn't seem like she has a virus or the bug right now.

She may have ate something outside on one of her bathroom breaks that upset her stomach. I will see how she feels tomorrow and give the vet a call to see what they think. Thanks for the suggestions.

Here is a picture of Bella.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
My Maggie was a puker all her life. I just think some dogs are. We called it the "yellow yurka kurkas". My Little Green Machine was my best friend. I remember reading the 'empty stomach' theory years ago so we'd give her a large Milk Bone in the evening since she ate in the AM.

Pigs ears also caused puking for Maggie so that might be the culprit.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I worry about blockage when I hear about bile. My son's cat was puking bile, but also she was not eating, making stinkies, more and more listless. She had eaten something that got stuck in her. None of my pets have ever puked bile before - I would take it as a serious thing myself.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
Lucy would throw up sometimes in the mornings when she was little like that because her stomach was empty.

She'll still throw up bile from time to time if she doesn't take the time to eat regularly. It almost always happens when we've not been at home long because she's just too busy to eat.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Bella has been fine today. She has ate all of her food, drank plenty of water, and was going to the bathroom (1 and 2). She is full of energy and has been running around outside a lot today. I called the Vet this morning and was told to bring her in if she got sick at all today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts