Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an 8 week old puppy and I have a few questions. The first question being, is it okay for my puppy to lay down... frog style? I know that GR's are prone to hip dysplasia so him laying down this way makes me worry. The breeder I got Koda from said neither of his parents have hip dysplasia so this gives me high hopes that he won't have hip dysplasia either. So is it possible for a GR to get hip dysplasia even if his parents don't have it? Or is it all in their genetics?
My next question is How many toys should a growing golden have? Koda has about 10 toys at the moment and I'm starting to get the feeling that it's not enough. Whenever I go to pet him he tries to gnaw on my arm. And whenever my parents and my sister go to pet him he does the same thing! And if nobody is around for him to chew on, he starts chewing on himself! Of course, every single time he gnaws or bites we give him a Nylabone and he soon loses interest and goes back to biting us or himself. I don't know what I should do about it. I'll take any advice I can get. And if you have any recommendations for teething toys I would gladly like to hear them.
My last question is how much freedom should I give my pup? Right now we don't give him too much freedom. We mainly try to keep him in his crate or in the kitchen. Sometimes we'll take him into the family room where he'll sit and watch T.V with us and take a nap. Until he's not tired anymore... Then it's back to chewing, biting and gnawing :frown2:. Anyways I'm not real sure if it's a good thing to give him freedom and let him get to know the house better, or if it's a bad thing to let him have freedom. Having a puppy is harder than I expected :wink2:.
Woof! (thanks),
Claudia + Koda

·
Project Redhead
762 Posts
Ahhhh, so cute. I don't miss those first few weeks at all!! I actually think it was worse than bringing home the human babies.
Search "land shark" in the puppy section. There is s full thread on that about once a week.
For freedom I'm a big fan of letting puppy be a part of the whole house. I think they learn to be good house dogs that way. If you can gate off the areas where you are and take puppy with you when ever possible.
Don't be afraid to put a leash on and drag your little ball of fluff around with you. Leash keeps them close when you have to yank yet another thing out of their mouths. Heck we are at nearly 18mo now and Penny still ends up on a leash in the house from time to time.

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
It's ok and really cute. You say the parents didn't have hip dysplasia so guessing both parents had clearances posted on OFFA.org It's good you checked on this, off to a good start.
I have several baskets with toys, not sure you can ever have enough :)
Do a search on this forum about "land shark" so you can realize this is perfectly normal. I also like to use youtube videos for puppy training. My favorite is kikopup and she has lots of positive reinforcement training for puppies.. check them out and enjoy the training. Find a good puppy class (Not petsmart/petco - total waste of money) and be prepared to continue training classes for at least the 1st year. Training is absolutely necessary!
Yes, puppies are a great deal of work and will require lots of time for the 1st year. Just know that the more time you put into it (starting early) the faster you will get the awesome golden you are wanting.
I kept my pup with me all the time and only gated in the kitchen when I could not watch them. Expect to take them out to potty ... on leash and your presence is required ... about every 30 minutes for a few weeks. They need to potty often and being with them is the only way to get them out quick enough.
Golden's LOVE their people and want to be with you. There is a great sticky called "It's a puppy not a problem" will give you lots of information.
Might want to google some potty training ideas for support and understand they cannot hold it reliably until around 5 months.
Enjoy your pup!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Everything you said is exactly what are Gr is doing. when i say exactly i mean to the letter. I had a issue of her not eaten for 12 hrs she did eat today that was a relief. Now i am concerned about the chewing on herself is that normal.

·
Registered
Dory, 5-years old
2,394 Posts
Golden puppies often do the frog pose as they rest. This isn't indicative of hip dysplasia. Regarding the kennel time... pup should be out and about with you, unless you cannot watch him. Golden puppies are social creatures and the more time they spend with you learning the rules, the better. And the biting- also VERY normal.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Kalhayd i live in new port richey, small world. so the self chewing is normal? also she cant stand being in the crate while we r in he living room, i know she loves being with us but it is a brake for us to have her in the crate but at the sametime we dont want to scare her from wanting to be in the crate.

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
Hearing you're in NPR makes me want you to take the sire and dam names and input them on OFA.org,and be sure you have full clearances on the parents.
You should see heart by cardiologist, eyes in the last 12 months and hips and elbows. Not prelims but finals.

Frog is normal- and so is the behavior you're experiencing!
But check on the clearances, you may want to buy insurance for your puppy if you do not find them. 'Parents don't have hip dysplasia' isn't really an appropriate answer if you asked about it, so that makes me feel concern.

·
Registered
767 Posts
The breeder name is patrica jones at least that is the name on the AKC reg papers which we have to mail in i thought that was done for you. the other scarey thing is the lady we got Angel from gave us unlimited reg (i am very spooked by that). i will try to find the dam and sire names. i am praying i didnt make one of those mistakes. the wife is alrdy hooked.

* names are sire; sir jacob jones SR86028701 dam; roxy ruby jones SR87671502
prism we looked at your website when looking for a GR.
the breeder is from ocala as well not sure if you know her?

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
The breeder name is patrica jones at least that is the name on the AKC reg papers which we have to mail in i thought that was done for you. the other scarey thing is the lady we got Angel from gave us unlimited reg (i am very spooked by that). i will try to find the dam and sire names. i am praying i didnt make one of those mistakes. the wife is alrdy hooked.

* names are sire; sir jacob jones SR86028701 dam; roxy ruby jones SR87671502
Neither dog appears on OFA, I checked by registration number. The dogs do not have clearances.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
It's unfortunate. Especially since it appears the breeder lied about the dogs not having hip dysplaysia. Unless she has X-ray vision, she can't tell if the dogs have it. If one or both parents do have dysplaysia, your pup has a much higher risk of having it also. It's not solely genetic, but it plays a big role. Do some research using the search feature on the forum. It's a terrible, and expensive condition to treat.

·
Registered
Dory, 5-years old
2,394 Posts
is that a VERY bad thing or a your a complete idiot move?
It's a you're inexperienced and didn't know better move. I second getting the puppy insurance now. The frog pose doesn't mean she has HD, but the insurance will help if it pops up.

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
I live in Ocala- and that I do not know her speaks volumes.

I'm so sorry that she misled you, with no clearances there are so many things you might have hedged your bets on, such as SAS, HD, ED, a myriad of eye disorders.
And honestly, when you said NPR I thought of another breeder, closer to you, who does random dogs' clearances and none of them consistently= but tells people if they buy his vitamins and food he will warranty them. I saw some puppies in Ocala on CL about a month ago- I imagine that was this litter because no one who's involved in the breed more than just making and selling puppies would sell them on CL. How did you find the litter?

At minimum, I would call her and ask her again- and call her on it when she tells you they are fine. And ask her to reimburse you 6 months of insurance or something for her deception. In truth, that's only going to be $400 or so but she should not be taking advantage of puppy buyers. If they are not parents w clearances, your risk is higher for many conditions. And (just have to ask) how much was the puppy?

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
I wouldn't call it an idiot move... you asked the right questions and deserved an honest answer. Love your puppy and get some insurance just to be safe. Get the eye and heart clearances after your pup reaches 12 months. Many of the dog shows will have clinics offering these and it's usually under $50 for both.
Don't let anyone tell you it's not important to do this.. I made a 3 hr trip to get clearances and discovered a serious eye condition. She is not in pain but had a condition that neither of the 3 vets we have seen caught.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Just text her about talking to the breeder about hips. She actually called me back and said she will. She seems VERY helpful she doesn't seem to be ignoring or anything else. So I am very happy about that. Btw koba I am VERY about hijacking your post I feel like a jerk.

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
I paid 1100 for the puppy. I got a buy back guarantee up till 1 yr for congenital issues. Angel is coming along well, I could get a health check up and see if all is well.
It would have to be a bad dysplasia to show up at less than one year.
SAS typically presents w a loud murmur to begin.
That should happen by 1 year. Eyes- well, most pet people would not get an ophthalmologist exam in the first place, and most debilitating eye conditions require that to uncover at the younger age.

Of course she was nice when you called! But did she say they had clearances? If she did, it was not a truth. The dam appears to be on her first litter- there is no reason to have a second litter without clearances. And the sire has had at least one prior litter- again, no reason to use him without protecting puppies and pet people's hearts and pocketbooks. It is irresponsible. I sent all the BYBs in the Marion County area an invitation to come to our health clinic in June- super inexpensive heart and eye checks ($65 and $35) and not one of them responded . I may have sent this woman an invite, I don't remember. But I had been collecting emails from CL and various ads in the paper for over a year in order to make it available to them (since they are not in any dog community, they would not know it was there for use) and I was so disappointed that not even one cared enough to spend a hundred bucks for two clearances.

·
Registered
767 Posts
So Denise said the breeder use to show but is older and doesn't want to deal with people. So Denise is like a third party to the stuff. Also Angel still has wet poop that should clear up in a week correct, I mean new hone new food we, did mix the old good with the new food. She doesn't have clearances but I am more worried about right now. I can get clearances done on my own.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.