Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my 8 week old male in the crate (it’s his first night) and he starts crying the first few minutes when he is in the crate, it is a wired crate and we put blankets over top of it so he can’t see me and my girlfriend, I had the front of the cage without a blanket so he could see us but I read somewhere it can calm him down if the crate is covered completely so he cannot see us. He keeps crying and it is so hard. This is my first puppy and he has been crying for about 15 minutes. Please help with suggestions😭💙

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I didn't cover my crates. I would at least leave one side open so he could see me and I could make sure he is okay.

What size is the crate? It needs to be fairly small or at least, if it's larger, have a divider to make the puppy's space smaller. A crate pad for comfort is nice. I played meditation music very low via Alexa. It's the first night and he's going to be nervous because he's away from his mother and his litter mates. I had a blanket with his littermate's smell on it. I also used a Snuggle Puppy with mine -- it has warming inserts and a heartbeat. You may want to put some sort a comfort toy in there when he's that small. Once they start teething, that's not a good idea. You don't want them chewing it up and choking on anything.

My first Golden howled like a wolf his first night and slept good after that night. My second one only got up a few times to go out and slept through the night from the second night.

I wouldn't take him out except to go out and potty every two to three hours.

It will all be okay. He needs time to adjust.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't cover my crates. I would at least leave one side open so he could see me and I could make sure he is okay.

What size is the crate? It needs to be fairly small or at least, if it's larger, have a divider to make the puppy's space smaller. A crate pad for comfort is nice. I played meditation music very low via Alexa. It's the first night and he's going to be nervous because he's away from his mother and his litter mates. I had a blanket with his littermate's smell on it. I also used a Snuggle Puppy with mine -- it has warming inserts and a heartbeat. You may want to put some sort a comfort toy in there when he's that small. Once they start teething, that's not a good idea. You don't want them chewing it up and choking on anything.

My first Golden howled like a wolf his first night and slept good after that night. My second one only got up a few times to go out and slept through the night from the second night.

Thanks you 😊 he has a wired crate and there is a divider in it, with a toy he really enjoyed playing with today (a rope toy) he also has his mother’s security blanket. I was debating getting the snuggle puppy , he had wined and howled / cried for about 30 min or so and he is now sleeping right now! I’m so happy I thought it was going to go on forever .. I hope he doesn’t keep crying and thank you so much for the reply :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Update , he woke up after 20 mins and started to cry / howl

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's pretty normal for 8 week old puppies to cry for up to a week or so. They were just taken away from their siblings and mom! As the pup bonds with you guys more, he'll get more comfortable and sleep happily. But this is one of the reasons why people take time off when they first pick up an 8 week old pup- no sleep haha. I would put the crate uncovered right up next to you. I also let my arm dangle off the bed up next to the crate.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It is so hard, but he will make it through!! I have a small oscillating fan and a white noise machine, so I used them both. Archie (now 10.5 weeks) liked the gentle breeze and the white noise. I never took him out of the crate, except for potty. Dogs do what works, so if howling gets him out of the crate, howling is what he will do every night! I had the crate right next to my bed and I would put my fingers up to the crate and that seemed to soothe him. Archie goes to bed at 8:00 p.m., so the 1st couple of nights, I sat in the room for about 15 minutes with fan, white noise and my fingers in the crate. This seemed to settle him and he fell asleep. After a few nights, I did not stay and he whimpered for a few minutes, but self-soothed and went to sleep. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
They all are different, but some do cry at night for and hour or so, this can go off and on for a few nights. When he crys, tell him a firm NO, then gently shake his crate a bit to let him know you are not happy. Keep doing this until he stops...be gentle but firm...

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a puppy. Buckle up (we've all been there!). :) :cautious: :oops:
You may find some of this information helpful (see links below). There are also TONS of similar posts/threads here on the Forum - use the search bar to find them - and they may provide more helpful suggestions.

(Information about a puppy's first night in the crate is covered around 13:40. Note that Susan indicates the puppy should be wearing a collar so you can quickly attach a leash and get him outside. I STRONGLY disagree with this - no puppy or dog should wear a collar in the crate - it's a safety hazard. Use a slip lead or a martingale collar already attached to a leash that you can put on quickly instead.)

·
Registered
534 Posts
I’ve had three golden pups. My current housemate was 1000% worse than my previous goldens her first two nights here. Night one was awful. It amazed me such a small animal could make such sad guttural howls. I was five feet from her crate trying to sleep on the couch. The next night I put the crate next to the couch and used my voice and fingers to help her settle. It was better. By night four she was quiet. She is an excellent dog in her crate today. I made sure to get her out every 90 minutes. I would wait for a quiet moment to take her out. Good luck it will get better.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I’ve had three golden pups. My current housemate was 1000% worse than my previous goldens her first two nights here. Night one was awful. It amazed me such a small animal could make such sad guttural howls. I was five feet from her crate trying to sleep on the couch. The next night I put the crate next to the couch and used my voice and fingers to help her settle. It was better. By night four she was quiet. She is an excellent dog in her crate today. I made sure to get her out every 90 minutes. I would wait for a quiet moment to take her out. Good luck it will get better.
Now that's a perfect example we all should follow.....well done, sounds like a wonderful pup!

·
Registered
149 Posts
It is so hard, but he will make it through!! I have a small oscillating fan and a white noise machine, so I used them both. Archie (now 10.5 weeks) liked the gentle breeze and the white noise. I never took him out of the crate, except for potty. Dogs do what works, so if howling gets him out of the crate, howling is what he will do every night! I had the crate right next to my bed and I would put my fingers up to the crate and that seemed to soothe him. Archie goes to bed at 8:00 p.m., so the 1st couple of nights, I sat in the room for about 15 minutes with fan, white noise and my fingers in the crate. This seemed to settle him and he fell asleep. After a few nights, I did not stay and he whimpered for a few minutes, but self-soothed and went to sleep. Good Luck!
OMG, bedtime at 8:00?? What an angel you have . . . . We were lucky if he fell asleep by 9:00!

To the OP, it does get better! Just remember you have more patience and tenacity than your puppy! Literally just as we were about to give up crate training him, by week 3 or 4, it clicked all on his own. You have to be dedicated to day time crating as well with very frequent breaks like mentioned above. We would do 60-90 mins in, about 30-60 outs for play, potty, training. Then back in he goes for 60-90 mins, then out again. Whatever works for your schedule.

Keeping a tight schedule is also very key. You'd be surprised how puppies are such creatures of habit. To this day, every day, Windsor's morning nap after his breakfast and morning play/walk, is triggered by my going to the freezer to take out his special snack before naptime (frozen Greek yogurt or pumpkin puree that I put in ice cube trays), all I have to ask him is: "Where do you go? What time is it?" I don't even need to give him his crate command. He immediately leaps into his crate (he only gets this special snack during morning naptime and he loves to chomp on cold things), and happily goes into his crate for this snack. So if you can build up certain crate habits so the puppy's association is something super special, it will help with your training.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I agree, they all so smart! Including learning how to 'train the trainers' so beware least you be the one being taken out for a walk...

·
Registered
83 Posts
OMG, bedtime at 8:00?? What an angel you have . . . . We were lucky if he fell asleep by 9:00!

To the OP, it does get better! Just remember you have more patience and tenacity than your puppy! Literally just as we were about to give up crate training him, by week 3 or 4, it clicked all on his own. You have to be dedicated to day time crating as well with very frequent breaks like mentioned above. We would do 60-90 mins in, about 30-60 outs for play, potty, training. Then back in he goes for 60-90 mins, then out again. Whatever works for your schedule.

Keeping a tight schedule is also very key. You'd be surprised how puppies are such creatures of habit. To this day, every day, Windsor's morning nap after his breakfast and morning play/walk, is triggered by my going to the freezer to take out his special snack before naptime (frozen Greek yogurt or pumpkin puree that I put in ice cube trays), all I have to ask him is: "Where do you go? What time is it?" I don't even need to give him his crate command. He immediately leaps into his crate (he only gets this special snack during morning naptime and he loves to chomp on cold things), and happily goes into his crate for this snack. So if you can build up certain crate habits so the puppy's association is something super special, it will help with your training.
I have to confess, Archie did come that way! Breeder said Archie was the pup, who liked hanging out in the crate (lol)!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts