Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought her home 2 days ago and shes adorable. She loves biting my slippers and also the paper and maybe sometimes she swallow the tissue papers. What should I do now?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Sounds like the typical puppy! Best thing to do is get all those things out of reach. My kids have been able to use the classic excuse "My dog ate my homework" for real. :)

Working on a Drop It command and having the dog trade you when she gets something you don't want will help you later on.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Provide something for her to bite on that you approve of. i.e. a bone, squeaky toy, etc. Butter has to have something in his mouth when he's not occupied or else he's go grab one of the kids toys.

·
Dog Lover for Life
220 Posts
Cooper has a Toilet Tissue fetish and so I either keep the bathroom doors and Bedroom doors and Closet doors closed (he likes to explore too) or I keep the Tissue paper of the Roll dispenser since he can reach that and either bites holes into the Roll or he unruffles it running through the house with it:bowl:. Bogart never did that:). They come up with new things all the time to entertain themselfs.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Sounds like you need to puppy proof the house. Puppies think only a few things: food, toys, potty. Not much else. And the only way they know if it's food is to put it in their mouth!

Enjoy your puppy and when you have time we'd love it if you could share some pictures of "Her Adorableness".

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
All of my dogs are paper shredders... there are worse and more dangerous things to eat....

Reactions: KietLam

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I find the best thing is to say "no" loudly when I catch Tucker at it (don't bother if you find it after the fact--he won't connect the events) and then put an approved chewable in front of him. If he bites or nips at you or something on you (shoe, clothes, etc.), say "ouch" loudly in a high-pitched voice and turn your back on her for about 30 seconds. In puppy talk talk, this means "you hurt me and I don't want to play with you now." It's very effective. Goldens are sweet-hearted and want to please, not hurt. Good luck!

·
Mia's mom
154 Posts
:p: Mia loves the toilet paper, paper towels whatever she can get a hold of. Like the previous post I also keep the toilet paper out of reach and try to redirect her to a toy instead. Good Luck and Congrats on your new family member.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Be careful

Be Careful with the toilet paper and paper towels-you don't want them eating that and causing a blockage!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks all you guys for helpful tips :D.

This is my first golden retriever and I already realized that they are so smart. I can walk her without the leash now and she follows me. Sad thing is she bites me so hard and also she pees on my bed also. Should I use the leash to keep her out of reach? And also is this the good time to train her some commands now? She somewhat does the "retriever" but after she got the ball she just trying to run away from me not giving me the ball.
Btw, I just bought her toys, food and treat but she hates the new food so I have to cook for her 4 times/day but im good with that. I think I need some advice about dog food and treat in case I have to go study and couldnt have time to cook for her.
@BriGuy: Could you tell me how to train them the "drop it" command?
@Penny's Mom: I am uploading the recent pictures of her right now :D. Shes so friendly and playful, I take her for walk 4 times/day and sometimes we meet some ladies with their children.

P/s: Oops, I forgot to tell everyone her name. It is Amber, and I love her so much.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Your baby is just beautiful! Loved all the pictures and she looks to be a true sweetie-pie.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Find yourself a really good dog training book, or a local puppy training class. There's a lot of good information on the internet, but a lot of it is confusing too. The training style I like the most is Sirius Puppy Training, but I don't think it's offered in Toronto. You could probably check with them however to see if there are affiliated trainers in your area. Sirius Dog Training

The most important thing is to train yourself to think like a dog. Dog training classes are really for the humans, not the dog. We just like to think we're training the dogs. LOL

If Amber had a chance to pee in your bed, it's not really her fault...she shouldn't have had the opportunity! Good luck. She sounds like a sweet dog. I'm new to Goldens, too, and I've wondering what took me so long to get one!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts